Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Scottish football to consider NFL-style draft for their youth system?

The draft system is always something I'd love to have seen adapted to our game and it's nice to see someone might be giving it a go.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35368472

Comments

• But it's not really.
    The prem clubs put 5 under 20's forward and the championship clubs pick them for a season?

Prefer Inverness managers idea of teaching them technique as the way to improve them
  • Like this. Creates some extra extra excitement to the otherwise drab world of Scottish football (excluding the old firm)
  • Wouldn't be a bad idea to do it across the whole of the Youth system.

Everyone comes through one big academy name which has branches around the UK... Every summer those who make the grade go into the draft (Scouts from each club are allowed to analyse the players beforehand) with the team that finishes bottom of League Two getting first pick with the Premier League champions getting the last etc.

Means that the top clubs don't instantly get the cream the talent and gives every team a chance of bettering themselves, of course the danger is that the Premier League club (We'll say Chelsea) could just buy that player yet include Clauses which state that each player must remain with the said club for two seasons
  • Rossman92 said:

Like this. Creates some extra extra excitement to the otherwise drab world of Scottish football (excluding the old firm)

Cowdenbeath get to choose one youngster from one of Inverness, St Johnstone or Hamilton, after the Celtic player went to Brechin, the Aberdeen player went to Forfar and the Hearts player went to Stranraer. Nobody knows who any of these players are.

Is this excitement?

Everyone comes through one big academy name which has branches around the UK... Every summer those who make the grade go into the draft (Scouts from each club are allowed to analyse the players beforehand) with the team that finishes bottom of League Two getting first pick with the Premier League champions getting the last etc.

Means that the top clubs don't instantly get the cream the talent and gives every team a chance of bettering themselves, of course the danger is that the Premier League club (We'll say Chelsea) could just buy that player yet include Clauses which state that each player must remain with the said club for two seasons

Don't see the point of this. Let's assume the top pick in the draft is good enough to play for Man city or Arsenal, how on earth will it benefit him having to play for Dagenham for 2 seasons?

Don't see the point of this. Let's assume the top pick in the draft is good enough to play for Man city or Arsenal, how on earth will it benefit him having to play for Dagenham for 2 seasons?
    For one thing he'd be guaranteed to play every match. Couldn't say the same if he was at Citeh Arsenal.
  • Which was why i said let's assume he was good enough. Say the kid was of a Rooney, Barkley, Sterling, Wilshere level, what benefit it is to him being stuck in league 2 for two seasons?
  • Which was why i said let's assume he was good enough. Say the kid was of a Rooney, Barkley, Sterling, Wilshere level, what benefit it is to him being stuck in league 2 for two seasons?

People like Rooney are a rarity though... Majority of the England squad when you look at it now either came a Football League club or got sent on loan at a Football League club (With the likes of Smalling / Hart coming from Non-League).

This draft would involve players at 17 / 18 years of age (once they've left Secondary School), not all England players have made their debuts for the Senior side at that age
  • The league two side wouldn't necessarily hold onto the big name player eg Rooney. They could then sell him onto one of the big clubs for a large sum of money and reinvest that into their club.
  • I can see this being a great success .. 'now young man, will it be Cowdenbeath or Celtic ?'
  • Sponsored links:

• The league two side wouldn't necessarily hold onto the big name player eg Rooney. They could then sell him onto one of the big clubs for a large sum of money and reinvest that into their club.

What would they be reinvesting into? If academies are run centrally, they could invest in the ground or, more likely, into players and agents' fees.

If the academy is run centrally, who funds it?
  • I don't know. I don't have all the answers but I think the general idea of it is a very good one.
  • IA said:

The league two side wouldn't necessarily hold onto the big name player eg Rooney. They could then sell him onto one of the big clubs for a large sum of money and reinvest that into their club.

What would they be reinvesting into? If academies are run centrally, they could invest in the ground or, more likely, into players and agents' fees.

Half the Sky / BT TV money goes to the clubs, the other half goes into the Academy
  • Salary cap would be better in my opinion in the PL
  • Nug said:

Salary cap would be better in my opinion in the PL

Why not have both? :)
  • Nug said:

I do like the draft but the college sports system is perfect for it. These players have performed on a big stage in front of huge crowds and TV audiences and for all intents are amateur. And all the pro teams buy into it, or they just don't have a choice. Unfortunately there is no system like college sports here. Kids are picked up as young as 8 by PL clubs. That doesn't happen in the U.S firstly it's all about getting into a big college team. Recruiting at that level is ruthless with families being offered all sorts of things to send their kids to a college....,allegedly.
  • Nug said:

Nug said:

I do like the draft but the college sports system is perfect for it. These players have performed on a big stage in front of huge crowds and TV audiences and for all intents are amateur. And all the pro teams buy into it, or they just don't have a choice. Unfortunately there is no system like college sports here. Kids are picked up as young as 8 by PL clubs. That doesn't happen in the U.S firstly it's all about getting into a big college team. Recruiting at that level is ruthless with families being offered all sorts of things to send their kids to a college....,allegedly.
    One thing I do like about American Sports and the Draft is that they can get their scholarships from a young age yet that isnt usually enough, if they dont do well enough at College and fail to get the right grades, that too can see them being dropped from the College team.

Ultimately as per with Football, only a handful of kids can make it in the Professional ranks, yet by going through College, many of these kids at least have something to fall back on to.

I know the Charlton youngsters can complete their BTEC's etc. and I guess other academies do the same but for many who have an attitude that cant see them being anything other than an Professional Athlete, thats not enough
  • Doesn't that effectively give the kids no choice where they want to go? There basically kids, sending kids to a place where they might want to go. Leaving home toughens some people up but at a delicate age it might put kids off the game all together. I agree with John Huges of Inverness, start coaching technique better.
  • IA said:

The league two side wouldn't necessarily hold onto the big name player eg Rooney. They could then sell him onto one of the big clubs for a large sum of money and reinvest that into their club.

Half the Sky / BT TV money goes to the clubs, the other half goes into the Academy
    If you're going to dismantle the whole structure of English football, I think the ultimate ambition could be something better than repeating the US model. I'd aim more for Germany to be honest.

I don't follow American sports, but for a country that size, they seem to have very few professional teams in each sport. I also don't understand clubs moving from city to city and then potentially leaving the country (London franchise?). From my limited (near zero) knowledge, I think the draft system works more there because they don't have promotion & relegation and they have a limited number of teams. I've also heard about teams deliberately doing badly in matches towards the end of a season so that they can get the best players in the next season.
  • Big fan of American sports but I agree that an NFL style draft would not work. Instead I would suggest a baseball Rule 5 draft.

Basic concept is that every player not on the 40 man roster can be picked up in a draft system (worst to first) by any other team. But, and this is key, if you pick a player they MUST stay on your 25 man active roster for the whole season or you return them to their original team.

That could work here quite well. Once you hit 17 the clock starts ticking, 3 years later if you haven't made an average of 10+ appearances per season over that period you enter the draft. Prem teams get first pick, then championship and on and on. In the week running up to the draft teams can speak to the players involved to see if they are willing to sign so that you don't see a team waste a pick. If you pick the player he must stay in your 25 man squad all season regardless of the U21 rule.

Either way it gives young players a chance to play more. Either big clubs give them appearances to keep them or they leave for pastures new.
  • Sponsored links:

• IA said:

Rossman92 said:

Like this. Creates some extra extra excitement to the otherwise drab world of Scottish football (excluding the old firm)

Cowdenbeath get to choose one youngster from one of Inverness, St Johnstone or Hamilton, after the Celtic player went to Brechin, the Aberdeen player went to Forfar and the Hearts player went to Stranraer. Nobody knows who any of these players are.

Is this excitement?
    More excitement then Scottish football usually gives people
  • It's a good idea in principle but the problems with the youth system in Scotland run a lot deeper than getting the youngsters more game time.