Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2016 World Heavyweight Champions (AJ v Klitshko from Page 20)

Comments

• Options

Wilder gets exposed as soon as Uncle Al lets him.

Same with AJ and uncle Eddie. We already saw Whyte cause him issues and you'd hardly call him world class would you.
  • Options

In January 2016 we have the following World heavyweight champions

WBC - Deontay Wilder 36-0 (35 KO)
    WBA - Tyson Fury 25-0 (18 KO)
    WBO - Tyson Fury 25-0 (18 KO)
    IBF - Charles Martin 23-0-1 (21 KO)

84 Wins - 0 Defeats - 1 Draw - 74 KOs

Anyone care to speculate what this list will look like in 12 months?

Very similar as they all line up Patsy's to cling on to their titles and their money-making chances. The bodies have no interest in unification of titles as it lessens their standing. Oh for the days when there was only one or two governing bodies and we had proper title fights. All very short-sighted - can you imagine the global audience for another Rumble in the Jungle or a Thriller-in-Manilla? We would, of course, need some far better fighters with real personalities.
  • Options
    The fighters of the past didn't just be ruled by the wbc,wbo etc they wanted to fight each other,

Now days the is seldom the desire from the fighters to make it happen and that tells you all you need to know about their quality

Fury and his wwe act on Saturday took away all the good he earned beating klitchko, I have not seen such a ridiculous act of bravado in boxing,

Yet wilder still said he will fight him after the next defence, so in a yrs time If both are still unbeaten and if the opportunity is there

• Options
    edited January 2016
    I think if that Charles Martin can hold on a little longer to that belt, Haye will prob wanna fight him as he would be the easier option.

Keep an eye out for Joseph Parker from New Zealand aswell, looks hungry and looks like a talent, i know hes gunning for Haye or Joshua, would say he needs to fight a couple of European Heavyweights first before the big guns!
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    End of 2016
    Fury
    Fury
    Fury
    Who cares about the IBF now?

Regarding people not liking AJ, I don't think many don't, although the Hearn element and how unnatural the niceness comes across (compare him to Ricky Hatton) may play a part. I wanted Whyte to beat him but wouldn't want a non-domestic opponent to beat him, or Haye.
  • Options
    It may be devoid of class, but there's a bit of intrigue as the top 10 are so even. I think the defining moment for the division is whether Kiltch gets back to doing what he does best against Fury or if he really has met his match. If it is the latter you're left with three champions with 80 odd wins having only beaten two top 5 fighters in the process. They'll all be seen as vulnerable. You then have a bunch of up and comers Parker, Ortiz and Ajay (Ortiz being by far the oldest and with the best win on his record) and more experienced fighters that couldn't crack Klitch (Povetkin, Haye, Pulev). So you've got 9 fighters who could probably all beat each other on their day.

Weirdly, the most talented, Wilder, Parker and AJ have been kept wrapped up the most. Everyone has to wonder if they can step up. Of course AJ has the Olympic title, but IMO he'd not have won the semi or the final if it hadn't been at home. Fury beat the man and often looks very accomplished (but sometimes looks like a pikey with tits), and nobody will want to risk their reputation with him. Martin has burst onto the scene and probably should be in the up and comers bucket. He will be the champ that everyone wants a crack at.

For me I think Povetkin has the potential to clean up, everyone knows this and he's being avoided like the plague. He's stronger than when he lost against Klitch.
  • Options
    Has David Haye still got a sore toe?
  • Options

It may be devoid of class, but there's a bit of intrigue as the top 10 are so even. I think the defining moment for the division is whether Kiltch gets back to doing what he does best against Fury or if he really has met his match. If it is the latter you're left with three champions with 80 odd wins having only beaten two top 5 fighters in the process. They'll all be seen as vulnerable. You then have a bunch of up and comers Parker, Ortiz and Ajay (Ortiz being by far the oldest and with the best win on his record) and more experienced fighters that couldn't crack Klitch (Povetkin, Haye, Pulev). So you've got 9 fighters who could probably all beat each other on their day.

Weirdly, the most talented, Wilder, Parker and AJ have been kept wrapped up the most. Everyone has to wonder if they can step up. Of course AJ has the Olympic title, but IMO he'd not have won the semi or the final if it hadn't been at home. Fury beat the man and often looks very accomplished (but sometimes looks like a pikey with tits), and nobody will want to risk their reputation with him. Martin has burst onto the scene and probably should be in the up and comers bucket. He will be the champ that everyone wants a crack at.

For me I think Povetkin has the potential to clean up, everyone knows this and he's being avoided like the plague. He's stronger than when he lost against Klitch.

Povetkin is Wilder's mandatory and likely next opponent. The wrapping up is about to end!

Most generations have an outstanding heavyweight, Marciano, Patterson, Ali, Holmes, Tyson, Lewis, Klitschko (both) - with the rest somewhat off the pace. We look to be entering another period where perhaps another outstanding heavyweight emerges - that could be AJ, Wilder, Fury, Povetkin (although age is against him) - it could even be Parker.

Note: outstanding here means standing out from the rest - it doesn't necessarily mean a 'hall of famer'!
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Croydon said:

Wilder gets exposed as soon as Uncle Al lets him.

Same with AJ and uncle Eddie. We already saw Whyte cause him issues and you'd hardly call him world class would you.
    No i wouldn't but AJ will be around a lot longer and achieve far more than wilder. I'm not an AJ hype merchant but i see him in the mix.

Wilder gets exposed way below world class. I actually think Whyte beats him.
  • Options
    WBA announce tournament to decide champion...although Fury is champion.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think Wilder has to fight Povetkin in his next defence or he'll be stripped of the title. It will certainly be his toughest test to date.

Intrigued with the Fury V Klitschko rematch, as I can't see Vlad being so bad the second time around. Although, his inability to let his punches go in the first fight may suggest he is shot to bits.

Next opponent for AJ is an important one. Not ready for Haye but a massive level above Chisora / Whyte. In all honesty, on another night he could've stopped Whyte in the opening round. I can see Hearn arranging an eliminator for the IBF title against someone like 5th ranked Erkan Teper (who knocked out David Price)
  • Options

That must be some kind of a joke. Surely even the shitshow that is the WBA couldn't come up with this. Thought Oquendo had retired.

WRT Povetkin I reckon the Wilder camp will kick down mountains to avoid that monster.
  • Options
    Winner of Glazkov v Martin. Unification would mean Wilder could avoid his mandatory for a while.
  • Options

Oquendo's last fight was a loss to Chagaev a year and a half ago. Now gets the best position of the 'tournament'.

These are the only rankings that people should bother to look at: http://www.tbrb.org/all-rankings/
  • Options
    Haye will only get beaten by a smart fighter. If you lean back and jab (and have a height advantage) he will struggle (such as against Wlad or if he were to fight Fury).

AJ has the height and reach but he has little experience at defensive boxing. If he fought Haye he would get caught by big shots when the first opportunity arose and Haye is a very good finisher.
  • Options
    Ortiz has scary power but needs opportunities before he is too old.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nvJdZRrBO4
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Don't think anyone beats Fury at the moment.

Heavyweight boxing starting to come alive again.
    Probably weight class with least interest for me in past few years.

Anyone seen much of Joseph Parker from New Zealand?
    Impressed so far, like to see him step up this year.

Edit: for some reason I completely missed the millions of posts above all mentioning Parker. Twat.
  • Options
    WBC have ordered Wilder and Povetkin to begin talks. Deal has to be agreed by 20th Feb or it goes to purse bids
  • Options
    The most ridiculous thing ever
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wilder's promotor was on talksport last night, he seems honest that Deontay is far from the finished article and certainly didn't commit when asked if Povetkin would get his mandatory shot next. Fair play to Wilder though for fighting 4 world title fights in 12 months, regardless of the quality of opponent. Plan seems to be keep him busy and keep him learning.
  • Options

Wilder's promotor was on talksport last night, he seems honest that Deontay is far from the finished article and certainly didn't commit when asked if Povetkin would get his mandatory shot next. Fair play to Wilder though for fighting 4 world title fights in 12 months, regardless of the quality of opponent. Plan seems to be keep him busy and keep him learning.

That's what I'd do with him. Povetkin is decent, problem with Wilder is he has ironed out so many people his record maybe hypes him a bit. He is also the great American hope and they have had a load of them fall by the road recently

• Options
    Godstone said:

Ortiz has scary power but negreds opportunities before he is too old.

Godstone said:

Godstone said:

Edit: for some reason I completely missed the millions of posts above all mentioning Parker. Twat.

Joseph Parker stopped American southpaw Jason Bergman in the eighth last night in Samoa after putting him down 3 times. His next fight will be in Christchurch in April and his management hope to find a top 10 opponent in the second half of this year.

Parker was hugely popular in Apia, birthplace of his parents and traffic came to a standstill for a street parade before the weigh-in.

He is trained by Kevin Barry who took David Tua to a shot v Lennox Lewis. An old boxer who is following Parker's progress with a lot of interest is Evander Holyfield who reckons he has great potential.
  • Options
    I like the look of Parker, fast heavy hands and quite mobile. Another whose hard to gauge though because of the quality of his opponents. Needs a top ten opponent on his record to be seriously considered for a title shot.
  • Options
    Joseph Parker was named no one challenger in the WBO rankings today. Anthony Joshua is no 2. They will hopefully meet later this year. Both want the fight and Parker hopes to fight him in NZ.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Joseph Parker was named no one challenger in the WBO rankings today. Anthony Joshua is no 2. They will hopefully meet later this year. Both want the fight and Parker hopes to fight him in NZ.

The sanctioning bodies and their rankings are a joke. It's turned in to one great big bun fight over who can get certain names in the ring and as their champion, despite some never having faced anyone inside the top 50 in the world.

Parker hasn't fought anyone to warrant that spot and is, in my opinion, stagnating and not progressing as he should be due to fighting complete bums. The same could be said of Joshua but the argument can be made that he's fought a higher calibre of opponent than Parker.

Parker doesn't want to fight Joshua. His manager turned up in London knowing full well that he wouldn't get a meeting with Matchroom at such short notice. Instead he used it as an opportunity to get his fighter mentioned in the same breath as Joshua before going home to arrange another bum for him to fight. Smoke and mirrors is all it is.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    And now we have poor Tyson Fury threatening to retire and sail off into the sunset http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/35490423
  • Options
    Parker needs to beat a top 50 fighter who doesn't have tits before anyone should get excited
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!