Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lest we forget - Charlton player H 'Nobby' Nightingale 13/1/16

124»

Comments

• Options
    I would definitely be interested in a trip. Having previously been on one of Clive's tours last year ( Somme strolls ) I can highly recommend them.
  • Options
    Thanks for making such an effort, sounds like a monumental task but definitely well worth it.

They won't be forgotten.
  • Options
    We will remember them
  • Options
    RIP Nobby
  • Options
    RIP ... Never forgotten
  • Options
    Nobby and the millions of others who died will never be forgotten.I visited the battle sites and war graves recently,and the sheer scale and futility of this so called great war shocked me.Thousands of men just told to walk into the enemy fire and get slaughtered before they got anywhere near the enemy lines.The people who gave the orders of course where miles away from the front line.And yet 20 years later it happened again,millions more dead because of a mad man.Will we ever learn.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    RIP Nobby.

The scale of death in World War 1 was and is unbelievable. The Menin Gate alone, which commemorates those missing with no known grave, has more than 54,000 names on it, my Great Uncle, Private Samuel Tebby mentioned elsewhere on here, amongst them.

54,000 that's two Valleys full to capacity and we haven't even considered the numerous cemeteries.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP Nobby and all those that perished alongside you. We will never forget you.
  • Options
    In partnership with the Woodland Trust and National Football Museum’s ‘For Club and Country' project, The Premier League, English Football League, Professional Footballers’ Association and Football Association have planted trees to create a living legacy to the footballers who served and died 100 years ago in the First World War, as part of the national, Football Remembers campaign.
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5bdb286496052/for-club-and-country-charlton-plant-trees-in-memory-of-fallen-heroes
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    The University of Greenwich, successor to Woolwich Poly, tweeted this last night.

This makes three memorials to our Nobby, this one where he studied, the post office where he worked and at the Valley.

• Options
    He’s also included (obviously) in the Greenwich Roll of Honour booklet, which has been transcribed and published by Rob Powell as a labour of love.
  • Options
    Thanks to @Mametz for pointing out that Michael Scott's guide to the cemeteries on the Ypres Salient now mentions our Nobby.

• Options
    Lest we forget