Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

David Bowie - RIP

Comments

• Don't let the sun blast your shadow,
    Don't let the milk floats ride your mind

RIP
  • I delivered the morning paper to his mum Peggy in Albemarle Road in Beckenham. I also used to see her because mum was her chiropodist. Used to get good stories about David who started out at the Three Tuns in Beckenham high street.
    RIP
  • Shocking news, as a child I was really moved by the Space Oddity album and so many albums and songs since. Feels like a friend has vanished but will be playing his albums even more. Rest in Peace Starman.
  • My all time musical hero. A terrible day. RIP David
  • Proves money can't beat this dreadful disease. R.I.P. David.
  • I delivered the morning paper to his mum Peggy in Albemarle Road in Beckenham. I also used to see her because mum was her chiropodist. Used to get good stories about David who started out at the Three Tuns in Beckenham high street.
    RIP

Remember when I was at art school and a few students had met him at the Beckenham arts lab, and went to that pub. Artist friend of mine claimed to go to school with him Brian Grimwood.
  • One of the most influential artists of the 20th century. Bowie set the scene for several generations which others followed and he's up there with the very, very best.

Truly shocked and saddened at the news. RIP 'Guvnor'
  • Can't find the words, absolutely devastated RIP my musical hero
  • edited January 2016
    RIP - I never really got his music apart from his eighties mainstream stuff - China Girl , lets dance etc.. but there is no doubt he is probably THE most influencial artist of the last 40 years.
  • Sponsored links:

• That was a a shock, he has just released another album so I thought he was back to health.
    A true icon and great songwriter. I can still remember seeing him for the first time doing Starman on the TV he had bright orange hair at the time, an acoustic guitar, and Mick Ronson glamming it up behind him. Wow.
    RIP David
  • Sad news. His music didn't generally move me the way it did millions of others. Though of course there are some tracks I like a lot, how could there not be with a catalogue that size? But he always seemed a decent bloke, ready to send himself up, and always trying to move in new directions. The world of entertainment is a less exciting place for his passing. RIP Mr Jones.
  • Awful news, a true music legend - RIP
  • Very sad news. Love his music.

RIP
  • 13 years old, talking about Space Oddity at school, how fresh and different it was at the time. 2 years later discussing with mates what were our favourite tracks on Hunky Dory. A year later, leaving school, discussing the merits of the Ziggy Stardust album, getting engrossed in it. Through Aladdin Sane, Pin Ups etc. Meeting my missus in 75, she had bowie posters in her room. Soundtrack to my life and as big as The Beatles in many ways. Didn't like everything he did in later years, but had massive admiration for venturing into different avenues. Can't believe it, but that has as much to do with my own ageing and fear of death.

God rest you Major Tom.

• RIP. Great memories of growing up to his music.
  • Sad news. I had no idea he had been ill. RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2016
    I'm shocked and extremely saddened to hear of his passing. I first saw him live before he became famous, he was playing at Avery Hill teachers college and I used to get into the gigs they held there for about £1.00. (may have been .50p)
    He was the support act to Vinegar Joe who's lead singer was Elkie Brooks. It was a wonderful night and still lives long in my memory.

God bless you David, you were a legendary man and way out in front of your contemporaries.

RIP Sir

• Very sad news rest in peace ziggy
  • Shocked and saddened to hear this news, my dad is a huge fan, RIP David Bowie
  • RIP David.

Very sad day, for his family, his fans, for music, for music lovers and for culture. What a loss.
  • Absolutely gutted. A true hero of mine. I had tickets to see him at Milton Keynes in about '82 and my boss wouldn't let me have the time off work.

I "loved" Bowie that much, I said, well I'm going anyway, so you'll just have to sack me.

He relented a couple of days later.

It was the one and only time I saw Bowie.

Today is as memorable, as when I heard about John Lennon & Lady Di's demise.

An RIP if ever there was one for me.
  • Just seen this. Shocked. Total legend, innovator....lost for words.
    RIP
  • Very sad day, 6music choking me up this morning. Going to celebrate his music with vigour today, you legend Bowie, RIP.
  • Bowie's music is part of the soundtrack of my life. What an artist and an innovator. RIP.
  • What gutting news. Another part of my youth chiselled off. R.I.P Mr Jones.