Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Naby Sarr

12345679»

Comments

  • Mind you, looking at the highlights, Wigan missed a hat full of chances last night.
  • Him and Konsa have been a poor partnership imo. Sounds like the defence did well with Lennon last night

    Konsa has serious aerial weaknesses. Wigan's best chance last night was actually quite early on, with Konsa comprehensively outjumped by their forward. I don't think Konsa will end up being a centre-back at all. He has all the skills of a top central midfielder or maybe a full-back; Gomez was basically him + aerial dominance, which is why he's getting regular Premiership starts.
  • People have to remember how old Naby Sarr is - Only a year older than Harry Lennon yet has already played in England | France | Portugal... Cant be easy settling in a new country especially when your given such little time to adjust.

    This season he returned and there were groans from the fans as it was thought that he'd cost us yet only really remember his mistake against MK Dons when he miss timed his header for their first goal - Yes he's playing at a level below the one we signed him from yet there are English players (used to this level) who are having a much worse season than what he's having!!
  • Oh, you and Dazzler got lols for basically being Scrooge, across the whole team's marks :D
  • Leuth said:

    Him and Konsa have been a poor partnership imo. Sounds like the defence did well with Lennon last night

    Konsa has serious aerial weaknesses. Wigan's best chance last night was actually quite early on, with Konsa comprehensively outjumped by their forward. I don't think Konsa will end up being a centre-back at all. He has all the skills of a top central midfielder or maybe a full-back; Gomez was basically him + aerial dominance, which is why he's getting regular Premiership starts.
    Gomes in a recent article was a useless header until about 16 and he worked on it. Perhaps Sarr and Konsa should get special coaching.
  • Leuth said:

    Him and Konsa have been a poor partnership imo. Sounds like the defence did well with Lennon last night

    Konsa has serious aerial weaknesses. Wigan's best chance last night was actually quite early on, with Konsa comprehensively outjumped by their forward. I don't think Konsa will end up being a centre-back at all. He has all the skills of a top central midfielder or maybe a full-back; Gomez was basically him + aerial dominance, which is why he's getting regular Premiership starts.
    Gomes in a recent article was a useless header until about 16 and he worked on it. Perhaps Sarr and Konsa should get special coaching.
    Sarr is largely very good in the air... Probably our best headerer of the ball after Bauer.
  • Leuth said:

    Oh, you and Dazzler got lols for basically being Scrooge, across the whole team's marks :D

    Bah humbug, expect more of the same :naughty:
  • I thought Wigan's best player was Burn, who largely kept a hungry Karlan in check - but he let his man go more than Sarr did! They're fairly comparable players actually
  • Leuth said:

    I thought Wigan's best player was Burn, who largely kept a hungry Karlan in check - but he let his man go more than Sarr did! They're fairly comparable players actually

    Think Sarr is more technical and quicker, Burn has the experience edge. But yeah not a bad shout. Burn is very good at this level.
  • Sponsored links:


  • edited December 2017
    Leuth said:

    Let's not shit up Player Marks any more.

    Some of you have truly bizarre grudges against this guy. Will he always represent The Regime, even if his actual on-field performances are good? I'm always seeing people downplaying his contributions - fastening onto anything that could be remotely perceived as an error, of the type any player makes at least three times a game in League One, and using this as a stick to beat him with. As far as I see it he's been one of our better players recently, culminating in a wonderful performance at the home of the free-scoring league leaders. And yet still some people moan about how he gave the ball away that one time. If you were that pedantic about all our players there'd be nobody scoring over 6 on the marks thread!

    The reason I'm so relentless in my defences of this guy is that I absolutely cannot stand any sort of lazy misbegotten reputation attributed to any player who's performing an honest job for us. To an extent it happened with Morgan Fox, and Kishishev's legend status is very much in hindsight for a lot of you.

    Sarr is just The Scapegoat for lots of fans. I sit in the North Lower. Whenever we're defending the away end and Konsa misses a header, the bloke behind me shouts 'Bloody SARR' in that charming way of all blokes-behind-you. People want him to fail because he's gangly and French and network and so forth, and they're prepared to lay the failings of others at his feet.

    Of course, he's as pleasant and determined an individual as we have on our staff. I'm just relieved that the other players and coaches have realised this. They know best, after all.

    We have four or five excellent CB options. But Sarr is the man in possession as far as I'm concerned. And he's shown he can play on the right of the two, so there's no reason why he can't work with Pearce or Lennon.

    Sometimes, no matter how wrong you think someone is, the worst thing you can do is keep pointing it out. It has a tendency to make them double down and stand by their original idea even harder.

    You’re a fan of Sarr, we all know it, you’ve made it very clear. The vast majority of fans will gladly acknowledge that he has been pretty decent this year. He has, however, not been perfect, and he was so bad when he first arrived, whatever extenuating circumstances there were, that people are bound to still be a bit nervous about him and some will take longer to be convinced than you because not everyone sees the world with quite so much black and white certainty as you seem to.

    If you’re so sure he’s so good, rest assured the manager rates him too and he won’t be dropped just because a couple of people on here aren’t so sure about him.
  • I like him, i think he will develop in to a decent player and will go on to have a good career.
  • Maybe proves that little Tommy Driesden was not bad at his job after all. Just a case of taking a bit of time to come good. Maybe should have kept Polish Pete and Anil Koc
  • It was not a great signing for us at the time. He was just too young for Championship football at the time. I reckon he'd be good at that level now.
  • Honestly think Sarr has one of the best range of passes of any off our players - not that it is that hard to mind. One major issue for me is he can be turned too easily, and really struggles to get back to a player if he gets passed him.

    Either way I think he has done a decent job this season.
  • edited December 2017
    Sarr still has a rawness about his defensive play but I like his attitude. He looks like he really cares.

    He's having to shoulder a fair amount of responsibility for starting attacks and it's clearly something he does have a talent for. I love that diagonal cross field ball he can play (Miguel Llera was good at that too).

    He seems to have done ok when he's played left back too.

    Would love him to thump home a few headers now......
  • edited December 2017
    Taxi_Lad said:

    Maybe proves that little Tommy Driesden was not bad at his job after all. Just a case of taking a bit of time to come good. Maybe should have kept Polish Pete and Anil Koc

    He obviously had potential to be a good player, but he was signed to be one of three senior centre backs in the Championship. Two years later he's one of five senior CBs in a lower division and probably not first choice.

    He looks a better player now but we bought him for a rumoured fee of £1.7m(?), a lot for us, on a five year contract. He was meant to be a solid Championship player two seasons ago. He might not even be that now.
  • my first choice CB pairing would be Bauer & Pearce by a distance, but Sarr would be my next in line when either (or in Charlton's case both) are injured. Konsa is pretty poor in my opinion
  • Scoham said:

    Taxi_Lad said:

    Maybe proves that little Tommy Driesden was not bad at his job after all. Just a case of taking a bit of time to come good. Maybe should have kept Polish Pete and Anil Koc

    He obviously had potential to be a good player, but he was signed to be one of three senior centre backs in the Championship. Two years later he's one of five senior CBs in a lower division and probably not first choice.

    He looks a better player now but we bought him for a rumoured fee of £1.7m(?), a lot for us, on a five year contract. He was meant to be a solid Championship player two seasons ago. He might not even be that now.
    I was being a bit tongue in cheek :wink:
  • Taxi_Lad said:

    Scoham said:

    Taxi_Lad said:

    Maybe proves that little Tommy Driesden was not bad at his job after all. Just a case of taking a bit of time to come good. Maybe should have kept Polish Pete and Anil Koc

    He obviously had potential to be a good player, but he was signed to be one of three senior centre backs in the Championship. Two years later he's one of five senior CBs in a lower division and probably not first choice.

    He looks a better player now but we bought him for a rumoured fee of £1.7m(?), a lot for us, on a five year contract. He was meant to be a solid Championship player two seasons ago. He might not even be that now.
    I was being a bit tongue in cheek :wink:
    I realised that after I posted, though I have read in the past a few seriously suggest his performances now mean he was actually a good signing.
  • Sponsored links:


  • TBF his performances this season in relation to what we expected after he was written off means he's like a new signing and on that basis I'd now consider him a good signing
  • Simonsen said:

    Sarr still has a rawness about his defensive play but I like his attitude. He looks like he really cares.

    He's having to shoulder a fair amount of responsibility for starting attacks and it's clearly something he does have a talent for. I love that diagonal cross field ball he can play (Miguel Llera was good at that too).

    He seems to have done ok when he's played left back too.

    Would love him to thump home a few headers now......

    Llera was so good at those. The difference was that was just about all Llera was good at (I kid, he wasn't a terrible player, just not great).

    Something has clearly clicked in to place with Sarr. I really rate him, and he seems like a nice, down to earth guy. I'll always remember him for giving the mascot his jumper because the kid was cold.

    I hope he feels at home here now. He clearly has a lot of potential, and he's exactly the type of player who would be good for us where he can hopefully grow with the club.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Roland Out!