Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

How Roland Duchâtelet and Katrien Meire are killing Charlton Athletic

Hello. I've written something that I hope explains to outsiders (including those outside football) the mess Charlton are in. It's very long. I've probably got something wrong in there somewhere. But I hope it's useful for the protests (especially as I won't be there on Saturday).

http://bit.ly/1ms4qPi (edited because the original link breaks on this forum)

Comments

• Can't open the link.
  • It should open now (unless you can't open the bit.ly link, in which case I'm giving up and going home).
  • Opens for me.
  • Ok now, cheers.
  • Thank heavens for that.
  • Trying to read it in the Google App and it just keeps crashing. Will preserve though ....
  • Very good article, but I noticed this error.

Exactly who was making these disastrous decisions wasn’t made clear. And despite keeping Charlton in the Premier League — and winning a hugely sceptical fanbase over — Riga departed after 17 matches, at the end of the 2013/14 season.
  • Very good Darryl
  • Good summary - only two comments are that you've made a typo in the Riga section (saying he retained our position in the Premier League and not Championship - if only!) and also that your closing comments re: RM no longer sound very plausible after Rick's phone call with him this morning! (it's certainly not been a dull week...)
  • Wonderful read Darryl, but also extremely depressing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Great job :)
  • Good summary - only two comments are that you've made a typo in the Riga section (saying he retained our position in the Premier League and not Championship - if only!) and also that your closing comments re: RM no longer sound very plausible after Rick's phone call with him this morning! (it's certainly not been a dull week...)

Ta - fixed the PL cock-up. Didn't know about the phone call. It's absurd how fast-moving this is. Still, I think Murray's role needs calling out...

Ta - fixed the PL cock-up. Didn't know about the phone call. It's absurd how fast-moving this is. Still, I think Murray's role needs calling out...
    Phonecall? Whats that all about?

This - forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/2347177/#Comment_2347177

on another thread, but there's so bleedin' many at the moment I can't remember which one.

Airman spoke to muzza by phone today.
  • Nice one Darryl, that's a great summary and point of focus for those new to the issues.

Another slight error:

"But what are fans complaining about? On top of the team’s lamentable performance, fans were also embarrassed when a video appearing to show a couple having sex on The Valley pitch was “leaked” in a stunt to promote season tickets."

The promotion was for pitch hire. A little thing, but I can see Katrien being obtuse and dismissive of the article for even the slightest errors.
  • LoOkOuT said:

Nice one Darryl, that's a great summary and point of focus for those new to the issues.

Another slight error:

"But what are fans complaining about? On top of the team’s lamentable performance, fans were also embarrassed when a video appearing to show a couple having sex on The Valley pitch was “leaked” in a stunt to promote season tickets."

The promotion was for pitch hire. A little thing, but I can see Katrien being obtuse and dismissive of the article for even the slightest errors.

Nice spot - thank you.
  • Very good summary. Thank you.
  • Excellent read...I hope it goes viral.
  • Isn't it a shame that nearly every thread is about anti Belgians, new protests, basically v v negative. Not suggesting there is anything inappropriate in that and I want them gone as much as the next person; just sad that its come to this and we cant talk more positively about the club we all love. Those days will come back but I do wonder when and how much damage will have been done by then.
  • Sponsored links:

• drewman said:

Isn't it a shame that nearly every thread is about anti Belgians, new protests, basically v v negative. Not suggesting there is anything inappropriate in that and I want them gone as much as the next person; just sad that its come to this and we cant talk more positively about the club we all love. Those days will come back but I do wonder when and how much damage will have been done by then.

Very sad indeed @drewman, but I fear, like you, it will be a long time and nearly irreversible damage will have been done. The quicker the current regime leave the better for everyone.
  • drewman said:

Isn't it a shame that nearly every thread is about anti Belgians, new protests, basically v v negative. Not suggesting there is anything inappropriate in that and I want them gone as much as the next person; just sad that its come to this and we cant talk more positively about the club we all love. Those days will come back but I do wonder when and how much damage will have been done by then.

We all agree .But we can't sit back and ignore developments.
  • stonemuse said:

drewman said:

Couldn't agree more. Like I said, gotta do something, just a shame.
  • Nice work Darryl - neatly summarises the story for the wider football world to understand.
  • Excellent article but very depressing read.
  • stonemuse said:

drewman said:

I tend to be an optimistic person but can't help thinking that the real battle for us at the moment is the one taking place off the pitch.
  • stonemuse said:

drewman said:

I tend to be an optimistic person but can't help thinking that the real battle for us at the moment is the one taking place off the pitch.
    Yup
  • stonemuse said:

drewman said:

The football has been secondary for a while I'm afraid.
  • Hello. I've written something that I hope explains to outsiders (including those outside football) the mess Charlton are in. It's very long. I've probably got something wrong in there somewhere. But I hope it's useful for the protests (especially as I won't be there on Saturday).

http://bit.ly/1ms4qPi (edited because the original link breaks on this forum)

GREAT article - and well done for keeping up with the edits people have suggested!
    As others have said it's a depressing read; but it encompasses all of the main points very nicely.