Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Leicester

Comments

• This weekend will be pretty big regarding the title race. Arsenal v Leicester and Man City v Spurs. A Leicester win and a draw in the other game would put them 7 points clear!

Come on Leicester!

Plus man city and arsenal play each other in the penultimate weekend.
  • Staggering. Absolutely staggering. Nothing like this has happened since the formation of the FAPL ripped the soul out of English football.

It never happened before it maybe Ipswich but who else
    Derby, Forest.

Can't believe Leicester are now favourites for the Premier League. Amazing.
    You could argue Leeds under Howard Wilkinson. Chris Whyte, Lee Chapman etc. Very few of their players would have been signed by a Liverpool or Man Utd.
  • I want Leicester to win it, think Spurs will if Kane, Eriksen and Ali stay fit
  • Either way... If Spurs win it, it'll still be the same great effort from them.

Only difference is Spurs have been able to buy in the Transfer Market over the last few seasons yet that was through the sale of Gareth Bale who in all respect was a risk signing all those years ago which almost flopped
  • Either way... If Spurs win it, it'll still be the same great effort from them.

Only difference is Spurs have been able to buy in the Transfer Market over the last few seasons yet that was through the sale of Gareth Bale who in all respect was a risk signing all those years ago which almost flopped

didn't they buy him when he was 18? Can hardly call a teenager a flop in the PL

didn't they buy him when he was 18? Can hardly call a teenager a flop in the PL
    Flopped was probably the wrong word to use...

What I meant was that when they signed Gareth Bale he was supposed to be the next big thing (the same that gets said for any other youngster joining a top Premier League side), every game he played, Spurs would lose and he was almost sold to Birmingham City.

Had they signed Gareth Bale for a few million when he was an established Premier League player before selling him to Real Madrid for £90m (or whatever it was) you could maybe say they've brought the title, but for me, buying Bale as an 18-year old was a risk so for me, the only reason they dont have the same tag as Leicester is because they weren't bottom of the league last season, yet Spurs winning the league would be almost as huge.
  • Nice to see a smaller team doing well but didn't they do a Palace/Southampton etc and knock all their creditors by going into administration a few years ago?
  • edited February 2016

Nice to see a smaller team doing well but didn't they do a Palace/Southampton etc and knock all their creditors by going into administration a few years ago?

Yep, 2002 debts of £30m which prompted 10 point penalty reductions to be introduced thereafter.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002–03_Leicester_City_F.C._season
  • Nice to see a smaller team doing well but didn't they do a Palace/Southampton etc and knock all their creditors by going into administration a few years ago?

Not recently. They're the reason why there's a points deduction for administration as they were promoted despite going into administration in the 90s.
  • I would love to see them do it but I can't help feeling that they will falter at the final hurdle. The saving grace could be that they don't have a team like the great Liverpool or Man U teams of old breathing down their necks. Arsenal and Man City are both inconsistent. Spurs could sneak it.
    If Leicester win it would be a much bigger shock than Derby or Forest because this is the money era and the difference in riches between Leicester and the big boys is immense.

• Sponsored links:

• leicester's owners aren't exactly skint though to be fair.
  • Honestly cannot help but laugh when I look at the premier league table, still 5 points clear. Massive game on Saturday against arsenal, don't fancy them going away there and getting 3 points but said the same about going to man city!

Arsenal played a dirty game against Bournemouth, Wenger is perhaps getting desperate .. If they try the ruff stuff against the Foxes they might bite of more than they can chew; Huth, Drinkwater, Vardy, Albrighton, Kante, Simpson, even the disciplined Morgan are no shrinking violets and are usually up for a bit of retaliation and self defence where necessary ..

AND: what about Albrighton, Drinkwater and Vardy for Euro 2016 ? .. as has been written elsewhere, forget the glamour pussies Uncle Roy, look at who are REALLY bang in form and full with motivation and desire
    I completely agree and hope you're right about the match on Sunday.

As for Euro 2016, Vardy has got to go, it is a no brainer surely? Roy was there against Liverpool and I am pretty sure there would be a massive outcry if he doesn't take him that Roy won't want to risk. I mean he doesn't even have much choice, Rooney, Kane and Vardy, plus who? Welbeck hasn't kicked a ball all season and even though he has a great record for England, surely cannot take him over Vardy, maybe as well as if Sturridge isn't fit. Will Sturridge ever even be fit again?

As for Drinkwater I think he at least deserves a go in the two upcoming friendlies v Germany and Holland. I would rather have him in the squad then carrick or Milner even Henderson who has been totally crap lately. As people have said in this thread Drinkwater isn't just hitting form he has been putting in performances like this for at least 2 seasons now. Roy showed last World Cup he isn't totally afraid to pick a youthful or inexperienced side if they are all playing well. Hope he doesn't bottle it.
  • edited February 2016
    I really want Leicester to win it, and bar that I'd like Tottenham. Genuine, young mainly English talent. Can't stand clubs like City and Arsenal winning it, no effort to produce there own players whatsoever. Just happy to nick them off of smaller clubs when they reach 17/18 and claim them as their own.
  • Hart Butland Forster Heaton

Clyne Walker Stones Cahill Jagielka Jones Smalling Rose Gibbs Baines Shaw

Milner Shelvey Barkley Dier Alli Sterling Lallana Delph Oxlade-Chamberlain Henderson Carrick

Vardy Rooney Kane Walcott Austin Sturridge

33 names that will be whittled down to 23, people like Wilshere, Shaw, Sturridge and Welbeck won't go imo due to injuries, and I don't think Austin, Carrick, Gibbs or Heaton will go either.

Butland Hart Forster
    Clyne Stones Cahill Smalling Jagielka Rose Baines
    Berkley Shelvey Delph Milner Alli Dier Lallana Oxlade-Chamberlain Walcott Sterling
    Rooney Vardy Kane

Would be my 23 for the Euros at the moment
  • sam3110 said:

Hart Butland Forster Heaton

Milner Shelvey Barkley Dier Alli Sterling Lallana Delph Oxlade-Chamberlain Henderson Carrick

33 names that will be whittled down to 23, people like Wilshere, Shaw, Sturridge and Welbeck won't go imo due to injuries, and I don't think Austin, Carrick, Gibbs or Heaton will go either.

Butland Hart Forster
    Berkley Shelvey Delph Milner Alli Dier Lallana Oxlade-Chamberlain Walcott Sterling
    Rooney Vardy Kane

If Wilshere is even close to fitness he has to go. Have him over shelvey, Delph, Milner any day
  • Wilshere shouldn't be anywhere near the England team
  • sam3110 said:

Butland Hart Forster
    Rooney Vardy Kane

If Wilshere is even close to fitness he has to go. Have him over shelvey, Delph, Milner any day
    I never understand people's obsession with Jack Wheelchair. A decent player but the fact he's made of glass makes him unselectable
  • edited February 2016

sam3110 said:

Butland Hart Forster
    Rooney Vardy Kane

I never understand people's obsession with Jack Wheelchair. A decent player but the fact he's made of glass makes him unselectable
    No obsession here. Just that when he is fit he is our best midfielder by a country mile imo. The two goals against Slovenia just before he got injured were different class and was pulling all the strings in the few internationals before that. Just a shame he struggles with injuries so much.

Having said that Ali and Barkely both coming through
    And are in quality form so seems like we can cope without him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Drinkwater over Milner & Delph fpr me
  • Guy from Betfair on the radio Saturday evening said they had 1 punter who stands to win £300k.
    Had £150 on at 2000/1

Guess that was after they had a couple of wins early on, as most reports show Leicester being 5000/1 at start of season.
  • Guy from Betfair on the radio Saturday evening said they had 1 punter who stands to win £300k.
    Had £150 on at 2000/1

Surely he'll have traded some of it back to lock in a profit.

Balls of steel if he's letting that ride, when he could trade out and guarantee himself a very large sum.
  • Not sure if he has bet against Leicester as you say.
    They did say he hasn't taken the cash out, but didn't say how much he was offered.
  • Hmmm, wasn't a penalty in my eyes that one, Vardy very clever to hang his leg there, but you can see Vardy initiated the contact, not to mention it should have been a free kick at the other ends few seconds beforehand
  • Cheated for it, but it's Leicester so won't even be mentioned on MOTD.

Just before half time and the ref kills the game with 2 stupid decisions in the space of 20 seconds.
  • The fact that Vardy is also trying to justify it to the Arsenal players tells you all you need to know, like he's trying to hard to tell everyone it was a foul
  • I'm the first to moan about diving but that looked a pen all day long