Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football Manager - the game, that is

Just been reading this excellent article on it, and the people behind it.

I've never been into computer games, Pocket Planes is the only one I've even tried. But now I'd love to read people's experiences of it (before I get sucked in). Is it possible to enjoy it without it taking over your life, or vast swathes of it? How would you recommend to start with it?

Can you play it on an iPad, BTW?

Comments

• Options
    You can indeed play it in iPad. One of my boys has it on iPad and PC.
  • Options
    You can play it without it taking over your life but like anything to do with football it can be very addictive.

There can also be a steep learning curve if you are new to the game as it goes into so much detail, on PC at least. I think there is a "classic" version included that sticks to the basic formula without all the details the full game entails so this may be easier to start off with. I think this is what the iPad version is based on.

If you do go for it and want any help just give me a shout and I'll be happy to offer some advice. I'm not the best player as I don't play every day for hours and hours but I can probably help with some of your questions.
  • Options
    There are three versions, FM, FM Touch and FM Mobile. The main version is for PC/Mac and is the most in depth.

FM Mobile is a cut down version that you can play on your phone.

FM Touch (what used to be FM Classic) is somewhere in between (more like the older versions with various features stripped down or removed completely) and can be played on PC/Mac or tablet and allows you to play your save games across all devices. It's included as a mode in the PC/Mac version but can also be purchased separately.

http://www.footballmanager.com/games/whats-the-difference
  • Options
    Just read they're bringing back east side hockey manager as well.
  • Options
    Way too addictive, I didn't sleep for 6 months last time I played.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Great game, you really get a sense of satisfaction from bringing in an unknown player and watching them turn into the next Ronaldo, before selling them on for a Mega profit. Also slightly surreal when you get 4-5 years into the game, managing Charlton in the Champions League and looking through the free agents, asking yourself if a 34 year old Cavani is worth signing, and rejecting offers of 25million pounds from Arsenal for Ahearne-Grant etc. The trick is to limit yourself to 3 month periods and walk away from it. I play it on my laptop and play til the battery runs down, then charge my laptop and do something else, great way to stop yourself from playing it for more than 3/4 hours at a time
  • Options
    edited December 2015

I've never been into computer games, Pocket Planes is the only one I've even tried. But now I'd love to read people's experiences of it (before I get sucked in). Is it possible to enjoy it without it taking over your life, or vast swathes of it? How would you recommend to start with it?

Say good bye to your social life. Epic game I'm not a big computer game person at all but lost months on it in the late 90s early 2000s when it was Champ Manager and very almost an ex ha ha.

Won everything with Charlton including the Champions League. Might have even worn a suit for the final. ;- {

This book is worth reading to explain the madness of addiction and obsession that unfolds once you load it up

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Football-Manager-Stole-Life-Beautiful/dp/0956497179
  • Options

Say good bye to your social life. Epic game I'm not a big computer game person at all but lost months on it in the late 90s early 2000s when it was Champ Manager and very almost an ex ha ha.

Won everything with Charlton including the Champions League. Might have even worn a suit for the final. ;- {

This book is worth reading to explain the madness of addition and obsession that unfolds once you load it up http://amazon.co.uk/Football-Manager-Stole-Life-Beautiful/dp/0956497179

Gulp!

• Options
    Fixed the link above. I would really recommend getting the book. It's a very light read but they actually got in touch with legends of game who never made it anywhere near as big in real life like Cherno Samba, Tonton Zola Moukouko and other such wonderkids.

The game has actually been cited in divorces so tread with caution!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Fixed the link above. I would really recommend getting the book. It's a very light read but they actually got in touch with legends of game who never made it anywhere near as big in real life like Cherno Samba, Tonton Zola Moukouko and other such wonderkids.

The game has actually been cited in divorces so tread with caution!

Good plan to get the book, thanks.

I suppose it could actually keep me off here. Having written that, I now expect some Lifers to set up a fund to buy me a copy :-)

• Options
    I'm playing it on the tablet at the minute and it's crap! However, I say that because I have played the PC version before and i cannot do a smidgen on it compared to what can be done on the PC!
  • Options
    Do people believe that playing it has helped increase their understanding of how the real game works?
  • Options
    It depends on what you think you can learn from it. Tactics and the way the game transitions through the different phases are covered in a lot more detail than you would get from Sky Sports pre-game and at half time.

The inner workings of the club, contracts and training etc not so much but there's always FM17 next year ;)
  • Options
    When we had the link up with that Ivorian club, FM made the 3 Ivorian lads insanely good and one of them was supposedly playing for us until 2010 or 11 if FM is to be believed!
  • Options

Do people believe that playing it has helped increase their understanding of how the real game works?

Carol Fry does.
  • Options

It certainly make a lot of people think it has increased their understanding of the game.

It's a great game, although as said above, hugely addictive.If you want you play it's really only worth playing the full version.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

When are they releasing Interim Football Manager 2016?

Oi I demand <3 xXx Reza's xXx <3 face returns to your profile, 3 goals in 20 something plays now
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p03g8cyj/the-beautiful-gamers

A long programme , even got an interview with Bojan Djordic about 44 minutes in!
  • Options
    I've also been enjoying this:

thesetpieces.com/features/cm0102-the-return-pre-season/

Some real memories in the players he mentions, I always used to sign Mike Duff, Taribo West, Mark Kerr, Ryan Williams and Cherno Samba for us!

Hence my post in the desktop computer thread about a laptop I could play it on.
  • Options
    got ebbsfleet promoted and started another game with charlton.

Fuckin hell its hard. no budget. Sacked off steve avory and got the fm favourite phil cannon in as HoYD. Desperately short of a creative midfielder and no budget to sign one, signed stephen gleeson on loan for the season that has kind of helped. Fox is even worse than in real life, constantly making mistakes and giving away penalties. Teams thinking they can offer 500k up front for chris solly, you're having a laugh mate.
  • Options
    Currently in the 2021/22 season with Charlton. 6th in the premier league with a trip to Old Trafford coming up. Just signed Javi Martinez on a free.

I terminated Fox's contract the first day I got in the job.

• Options
    It's funny how often my scouts recommend Reza and Lillian Thuram. Perhaps I've discovered how we are scouting players?!
  • Options
    Anyone who ever played Championship manager will have definitely heard of Kennedy Bakircioglu and Andrei Sigporsson. Still remember them now, at least 10-15 years later!!

• Options
    Ibrahima Bakayoko too, amazing just behind the strikers.
  • Options
    Viktor Leonenko from Dinamo Kiev. What a player.
  • Options

Anyone who ever played Championship manager will have definitely heard of Kennedy Bakircioglu and Andrei Sigporsson. Still remember them now, at least 10-15 years later!!

http://usvsth3m.com/post/54920294470/11-legendary-championship-manager-players-whose