Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Joe Piggott

Comments

• Options
    Scored a corker at Wembleythe other year. Better than most of our players have done.
  • Options
    Had a good eye for goal. Couldn't jump though.
  • Options

There’s a decent player in Joe Pigott and I wish him all the success in the world made in charlton but also broken in charlton thrown in and not nurtured when he was found to be wanting, the fans turned on the kid in a way that was just disgusting but a sign of how far we had fallen as a club, we used to have patience and time to give the youngsters a chance ,

As fans we were desperate to return to where we believed we should be playing and it didn’t matter whom was the cannon foder and as such lacked class in our criticism of players that came through and just failed to nail it at that time

Always had patience with youth players pre Premier League? Um, Kim Grant.
  • Options
    It seems the best way to jump start a career in professional football is to be sold or rejected by Charlton.
  • Options

Some players do develop later than others. It's the same in all sports. Look at Jamie Vardy - at 16 he was told that he was going to be too small by Sheffield Wednesday - he didn't even start playing League football 'til he was 24. Piggott is not, admittedly, the next Vardy.

But, perhaps, we should also consider that he wasn't picked up by Charlton 'til he was spotted playing for Corinithians at the age of 15. He was at the time also playing age group cricket for Kent so his focus on becoming a pro footballer was, in all probability, at that point a long way off. Less than 4 years later he's having a mare of an appearance against our biggest rivals and the world and his mother had written him off for that "cameo".

Yes he had to leave if only to prove to himself that he could make it in the game. League 1 might be the highest that he ever achieves - but not that many players ever do that much better and he's doing as well as any of ours at the moment.

Bloody heck... Didnt realise his own mother wrote him off - thats harsh!! ;)
  • Options
    A player of a similar age to Joe who was booted out of Charlton for being too small around the age of 14 , Bradley Dack . Now only if he’d been bigger like Joe we may have been able to sell him for a pittance a few years back .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Valley11 said:

There’s a decent player in Joe Pigott and I wish him all the success in the world made in charlton but also broken in charlton thrown in and not nurtured when he was found to be wanting, the fans turned on the kid in a way that was just disgusting but a sign of how far we had fallen as a club, we used to have patience and time to give the youngsters a chance ,

As fans we were desperate to return to where we believed we should be playing and it didn’t matter whom was the cannon foder and as such lacked class in our criticism of players that came through and just failed to nail it at that time

Back when Kim and Carlo etc played for us Supporting charlton was different there was no social media to grow the fury against a player

Supporting a club and team like charlton back then was totally different we knew our place we had hunger and ambition but no conceited arogance ,

Kim grant spent far too long on his arse in games for me but he was playing for us and that meant on the whole and in the main he got fully backed by the fans ,

Yes there was some that voiced it but our numbers were small back then and the majority of us tried to make as much noise in support of our tiny little homeless club than spending time moaning and groaning

I would give anything to have that football club back right now
  • Options

Valley11 said:

Back when Kim and Carlo etc played for us Supporting charlton was different there was no social media to grow the fury against a player

Supporting a club and team like charlton back then was totally different we knew our place we had ginger and ambition but no conceited arogance ,

Kim grant spent far too long on his arse in games for me but he was playing for us and that meant on the whole and in the main he got fully backed by the fans ,

Yes there was some that voiced it but our numbers were small back then and the majority of us tried to make as much noise in support of our tiny little homeless club than spending time moaning and groaning

I would give anything to have that football club back right now
    Yup agree with you on that!
  • Options
    Always thought he had more potential and we let him go early, i remember someone mentioning he was one of the best finishers in training.

Still not sure he would get in our side today but looks more solid and less bambi these days, good luck to the lad
  • Options

A player of a similar age to Joe who was booted out of Charlton for being too small around the age of 14 , Bradley Dack . Now only if he’d been bigger like Joe we may have been able to sell him for a pittance a few years back .

And Erhan Oztumer.
  • Options
    And Danny Haynes ......and Danny Green.

They turned out to be so good, we signed them back again. :smile:
  • Options

Didnt SKY mention someone else on the Wimbledon team last night who'd been released by Charlton for being too small?

I wasnt paying enough attention at the time to hear who it was
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Didnt SKY mention someone else on the Wimbledon team last night who'd been released by Charlton for being too small?

The only other ex CAFC player who played was Waggy.

But Terrell Thomas was on there bench
  • Options

Yeah thats what I thought...

they definitely mentioned someone who was released by Charlton for being too small though
  • Options
    I see Appiah started at Ebbsfleet at the age of 18 - is there a chance that he was with us as a youth player?
  • Options

they definitely mentioned someone who was released by Charlton for being too small though
    It was Anthony Wordsworth when he came on in the 2nd half
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So they had
    Pig
    Waggy
    Thomas
    Wordsworth

Are they Charlton in disguise
  • Options

He only grew to be 6' 1" too.

Had Messi been on our books at 15 we and other clubs at that time would probably would have done the same thing.
  • Options

Bloody hell... He's 6ft 1!! - Who on earth thought he was too small?
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

And Danny Haynes ......and Danny Green.

They turned out to be so good, we signed them back again. :smile:

Don't forget Lawrie Wilson
  • Options

Bloody hell... He's 6ft 1!! - Who on earth thought he was too small?
    Someone called K Meire.
  • Options
    Just to rub salt...on the same page of the Mail on Sunday focusing on Charlton's plight and fight is a pic of one J Pigott scorer of the Goal of the Week in League 1.
  • Options
    I saw a lot of Pigott in the U-18's and U-21's. He was clearly a bag of nerves against Millwall, it was painful to watch, he was clearly not right. He seems to have recovered and should earn a decent living at this level, maybe even Championship.
  • Options
    he was seriously f***ed about in his time with us .. another one who was under appreciated and has made a decent fist of a career elsewhere