Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

5 INFLUENTIAL GEETAR MEN .. DISCUSS

Comments

• Options
    Only one person has suggested Richie Blackmore. One memorable riff imitated by so many that music shops actually banned it from being played. Now that's influential.
  • Options

Have a look at Tommy Emmanuel on You Tube. This guy is enough to make you treat your guitar like Pete Townshend! Watch and listen to his version of Lady Madonna and walk away from your guitar before you cause irreparable damage.

never heard of him before ... having watched a few YouTube clips .. he is terrific, a bit of a one off ?
  • Options
    How 'bout someone who wasn't overtly influential but who many people would have heard play the guitar and thought this or that riff was cool - someone like Glen Campbell for example.
  • Options
    Just because I haven't seen them from anyone else yet.......apologies if I missed them and they have already been mentioned:-

Johnny Winter
    Hank Marvin
    Stevie Ray Vaughan
  • Options
    Gary Moore. Credited by many of his peers. Still Got The Blues For You covers every emotion that can be wrung from an electric guitar.
  • Options
    People are still just naming guitar players!
    I think it was Page or Clapton who when asked, "who is the greatest guitar player", replied "probably some 17 year old kid in his bedroom somewhere"
  • Options
    Greenie said:

People are still just naming guitar players!
    I think it was Page or Clapton who when asked, "who is the greatest guitar player", replied "probably some 17 year old kid in his bedroom somewhere"

What's his name though?
  • Options
    raspberry beret
  • Options
    I have just realised .. Duane (not Allmann) could also be the instigator of 'Surf geetar'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gk85_TIT_w
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Surf maestro Dick Dale .. he is of Lebanese descent .. notice the Eastern Mediterranean influence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIU0RMV_II8
  • Options
    I'll chuck a new name in,

Tosin Abasi

and some others not mentioned,
    Robin Trower
    Steve Vai
    Joe Satriani
  • Options
    Stig said:

Prince is one hell of a guitarist

Bloody right!

Plays with Queen
  • Options
    I nominate Peter Green
  • Options
    IAgree said:

Chuck Berry
    BB King
    Jimmy Page
    Robert Fripp
    Johnny Marr

I was gonna suggest fripp but I thought the numbskulls on here would shout me down%)
  • Options

IAgree said:

Chuck Berry
    BB King
    Jimmy Page
    Robert Fripp
    Johnny Marr

I was gonna suggest fripp but I thought the numbskulls on here would shout me down%)
    I would agree with him being considered one of the great guitarists - not sure he would be in the top 5 most influential though.
  • Options
    It's about influential players.
    Why is that difficult to understand?
  • Options
    Has anybody mentioned Roger McGuinn? Plenty of people copied him over the years.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

It's about influential players.
    Why is that difficult to understand?

because people don't necessarily have to quote to be influenced.
  • Options
    Val Doonican played a mean acoustic!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2015
    I'd include Pat Metheny as his clear intricate sound is emulated lots by other guitarists.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Solidgone said:

Val Doonican played a mean acoustic!

and influenced lots of cardigan wearers.
  • Options
    Quick heads up. 

Planet Rock are holding a poll for the best guitar solo ever and will reveal the top 40 countdown on Bank Holiday Monday, 26th August.  I'm sure Wives and children will understand as they head out for the coast/zoo/theme park on their own as you take up position in the living room/ garden with your preferred relaxant and head nod / finger boogie through the afternoon.

https://www.planetrock.com/news/rock-news/we-want-you-to-help-us-choose-the-best-guitar-solo-ever/?

https://www.relate.org.uk/  

• Options
    Albert Lee

David Gates
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Right, well, here’s 5 guitar players that made me want to pick up a guitar in the first place and then made me want to keep playing it. So these are just 5 who influenced l’il ol’ me ( not that i was able to match any of them in the slightest unfortunately)

Hank Marvin ( loved the sound and look of his guitar when I was 7)
    Jimi Hendrix ( for the live version of Johnny B Goode alone)
    Ritchie Blackmore ( for the tone and style of Lazy - I can play the solo now  - just)
    Francis Rossi ( Piledriver - played along to that record till it was knackered)
    Mark Knopfler ( for his tone and those sweet finger picked solos)
  • Options
    3blokes said:
    Right, well, here’s 5 guitar players that made me want to pick up a guitar in the first place and then made me want to keep playing it. So these are just 5 who influenced l’il ol’ me ( not that i was able to match any of them in the slightest unfortunately)

Hank Marvin ( loved the sound and look of his guitar when I was 7)
    Jimi Hendrix ( for the live version of Johnny B Goode alone)
    Ritchie Blackmore ( for the tone and style of Lazy - I can play the solo now  - just)
    Francis Rossi ( Piledriver - played along to that record till it was knackered)
    Mark Knopfler ( for his tone and those sweet finger picked solos)
    For me Hendrix version of JBG is the best ever, rock n roll at 200mph.
  • Options
    Carlos Santana - Black Magic Woman.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    If it’s influential, how about:
    Robert Johnson - blues
    Jimi Hendrix - rock/metal
    Nick Drake - folk
    Steve Jones (Sex Pistols) / Johnny Ramone - punk
    Andy Gill (Gang of Four) - indie

lots of great guitar players over the years but these guys had their own styles that others adopted. 

• Options
    edited August 2019
    I think the question was flawed in a number of ways from the outset, people will of course answer with a bias as to who their ‘favourite’ guitarist is because it’s the one who influenced them in some way or another.
    Further more, what exactly is meant by influential.....as a fan, as a player, as a musician or even as someone who was encouraged to pick up a guitar and learn to play?
    Also have to say a list that didn’t include EC is seriously in trouble from the get go.
  • Options
    Knopfler, Clapton, Thompson, Emmanuel, Isaac Guillory, Clive Gregson. John Martyn.