Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

5 INFLUENTIAL GEETAR MEN .. DISCUSS

Comments

• I guess the real question is who influenced the people you see as great guitarists, then you get down to the game changers
  • A lot of young people these days pick up a guitar to play metal/hard rock music that they're turned on to as teenagers.

Whilst they may not be the most influential of all time - a huge nod has to be given to the likes of James Hetfield and Tony Iommi. Arguably the two most influential players of the most 'guitar' driven genre of music.
  • edited December 2015
    fadgadget said:

fadgadget said:

How about this fella

Legend.

"Rolling Stones? Beatles? I opened the door for those boys...and was left holding the handle!"

Plenty of people ripped off were influenced by Bo Diddley, but his label mate Chuck Berry must be the most copied guitar player of the lot.

I Think you can add Buddy Holly to that list as well .

Absolutely. Lennon and McCartney idolised him like many others. If you look at guitar forums, lots of people struggle with Peggy Sue, only three chords but very few can replicate the speed of his strumming.
  • Matt Bellamy and Tom Morello
  • Saw Mark Knophler here in Indianapolis last month he may be getting on but one of the best concerts I have seen he is brilliant. And on the subject of music who on here was at the Who at the Valley in 1975?.
  • Knopfler oops
  • Matt Bellamy and Tom Morello

Morello maybe but LOL @bellamy
  • Richard Thompson
  • Bob Wooten
  • This young lady isn't a man but quite good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdcpWIWNX6w
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2015

Matt Bellamy and Tom Morello

Morello maybe but LOL @bellamy
    He's arguably composed some of the greatest guitar riffs of past few decades (New Born, Knights of Cydonia, Plug In Baby).

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/muse-song-named-greatest-riff-of-the-21st-century-2095007.html

I don't enjoy Muse so much these days, admittedly. But their earlier stuff was good.
  • Saw Mark Knophler here in Indianapolis last month he may be getting on but one of the best concerts I have seen he is brilliant. And on the subject of music who on here was at the Who at the Valley in 1975?.

me ... amongst the fahsands of ovvers ... another terrific, underrated, if not that influential player was on that bill ... Bad Company's ex Mott the Hoople .. Mick Ralphs
  • Bo Diddley
  • Greenie said:

This young lady isn't a man but quite good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdcpWIWNX6w

Well, I watched that through and I didn't even see a guitar....

I'll have to give it another go!
  • Chuck Berry
    BB King
    Jimmy Page
    Robert Fripp
    Johnny Marr
  • IAgree said:

Chuck Berry
    BB King
    Jimmy Page
    Robert Fripp
    Johnny Marr

I agree
  • So whilst agreeing with everyone here is mine

Jimi Hendrix simple best ever
    B B King (although Clapton was influenced by Freddie King not BB)
    Clapton 90% of us who started playing in the 60's were influenced by Clapton
    Robert Johnson cos he started it all
    Jimmy Page monster player

Honourable mention to:

Albert and Freddie King
    Muddy Waters
    Richie Blackmore
    Peter Green
    Paul Kossoff
    Jeff Beck
    and one hundred others

so many great players maybe not a big influence on other players but one of my all time favourites and THE BEST slide player ever Ry Cooder. For the future Joe Bonamassa who can play the arse of anyone

• Buddy Guy ....
  • Clapton watches intently as he tries to work out how Joni is doing that.

Taught him nearly everything he knows

• Was that photo from : Joni Mitchell at home on Lookout Mountain Avenue, in Laurel Canyon, September 1970. by Henry Diltz.
  • Sponsored links:

• Was that photo from : Joni Mitchell at home on Lookout Mountain Avenue, in Laurel Canyon, September 1970. by Henry Diltz.

Ken that looks more like Phil Mitchell.
  • Or maybe 68 with Mickey Dolenz.etc.......... again by Diltz
  • Greenie said:

Was that photo from : Joni Mitchell at home on Lookout Mountain Avenue, in Laurel Canyon, September 1970. by Henry Diltz.

Ken that looks more like Phil Mitchell.
    No wrong sex....... that one was of 'Mama Cass' apparently she was very influential with all the musicians and hipsters, They all lived up in the canyon.
    She put a party on for EC as he was rather shy, or so the story goes, Hendrix, Zappa, the Stones, John Mayall, CSNY, Jim Morrison, to name a few all rented or had houses up there.
    I featured Henry Diltz's work in a magazine once, spoke to him for hours. He has an amazing collection of photos.
  • Les Paul (popularised electric guitar and multi tracking), Peter Green, Bert Weedon (inspiration for millions), BB King, Duane Eddy.

2 just great, 3 very influential.
  • So, who influenced me to first pick up a guitar? Hank Marvin.

Guess that makes him influential.

I was also influenced early on by The Beatles and the Stones. An added factor here was the idea (I got from watching them) that playing the guitar would get me a better class of Doris (can't say that worked well, except for recently...).

I later got into Kossoff, Page, Clapton and Hendrix, but that was as my playing and tastes in music developed. I love Jimmy Page's playing (sorry Greenie) but I don't even attempt to play like him (well, just a little bit, occasionally). These days I concentrate on sounding like me, whilst "referencing" those icons of the past.
  • edited December 2015
    Saga Lout said:

So, who influenced me to first pick up a guitar? Hank Marvin.

I was also influenced early on by The Beatles and the Stones. An added factor here was the idea (I got from watching them) that playing the guitar would get me a better class of Doris (can't say that worked well, except for recently...).

I later got into Kossoff, Page, Clapton and Hendrix, but that was as my playing and tastes in music developed. I love Jimmy Page's playing (sorry Greenie) but I don't even attempt to play like him (well, just a little bit, occasionally). These days I concentrate on sounding like me, whilst "referencing" those icons of the past.

Its all subjective Saga.

BTW fellow lifers, and at the risk of embarrassing him, if you get the chance go see Saga play, do, he's blinding, a proper guitar player.
  • Greenie said:

Saga Lout said:

So, who influenced me to first pick up a guitar? Hank Marvin.

Its all subjective Saga.

BTW fellow lifers, and at the risk of embarrassing him, if you get the chance go see Saga play, do, he's blinding, a proper guitar player.
    I'm not embarrassed at all - you can say that anytime you like! You're none too shabby yourself sir.
  • Have a look at Tommy Emmanuel on You Tube. This guy is enough to make you treat your guitar like Pete Townshend! Watch and listen to his version of Lady Madonna and walk away from your guitar before you cause irreparable damage.
  • My favourite guitarist is Clapton, I've seen him live over 60 times going back to 1988 including with Cream and even bumped into him once on the Kings Road in Chelsea. He was a gentleman and a class act in person.

I've also seen the following play live.. And all of them have paid homage to Clapton. Even BB King and Buddy Guy credit him with the careers they've had

BB King
    Buddy Guy
    Jeff Healey
    Bonnie Raitt
    Robert Cray
    Mark Knopfler
    Richie Sambora
    Steve Winwood
    Jeff Beck
    Keith Richards
    Ronnie Wood
    Doyle Bramhall II