Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

NEW ARTICLE: Why I Tried to Give you a Leaflet (Nov 2015)

Comments

• Options
    rikofold said:

Hex said:

Looking at a couple of the Man City numbers this morning - £351m revenue (Commercial £173m + Broadcasting £135m + TV £43m) and selling 13% of the club for £265m is indicative of the size of prize available, at the top end, for an established Premier club.
    That's the prize RD has his eye on.
    He doesn't care about Charlton or anyone involved with the club, he's taking a money shot and trying to (relatively) do it on the cheap.
    The problem is he isn't succeeding.
    My guess is that if he tried to sell a significant proportion of the club to another investor (on the basis of him remaining in control and maintaining the current trajectory), he wouldn't find anyone who would put up serious money. They would look at what has been done, what has been achieved and where things are headed and would turn away from any proposition. His record of developing football clubs as a business is abysmal.

Target 20,000 might as well be Target 2 million, neither have a snowballs.
    A spiffing Fans Forum won't change his strategy or business model and we can all see his current model is useless.

I feel sorry for KM in one way. She's the front person for a pretty crappy business who is being asked by her customers to engage in open and constructive dialogue, the problem is the business is so rotten there isn't much she can say which doesn't show it up for what it really is and if she tries to spin a story there's enough customer knowledge to discredit her spin immediately. The further she's pulled into customer engagement the more apparent to rotten-ness becomes. With customer engagement, she simply can't win. Her best option is to keep the engagement to a minimum and to be as slow as possible, which is what we're seeing.

For my blood there are 2 practical alternative ways forward, one is to turn my back and wait for it all to go away (the boycott option let's call it), the other is to try to get rid of the current regime. The third option, dialogue, Target 20k, Fans Forum etc. I believe are dead in the water as far as effecting meaningful change.

For what it's worth, I'm not ready to give up on my club yet, I want them gone.

I fear you are right. As a Trust member I would still like them to proceed with dialogue BUT it must be time-limited and I mean limited. I know @Rikofold as said it's only 2 weeks but I do believe KM is playing for time and her bluff needs to be called. If KM can dismiss and appoint head coaches in the blink of an eye then tangible progress, including a change of direction on and off the field, can certainly be made/announced in weeks and definitely BEFORE Christmas. Anything else will leave us cast adrift as a club. For me it is very important that the Trust take this onboard as we need them to be free to take a leading role in the protests as soon as possible. KM knows this hence her need to prevaricate.
    Steve Clarke is taking the lead on this and his last public statement said that change was necessary. I think we need to be realistic in terms of whether a complete change of direction on and off the field is likely be achievable before Christmas (if ever - KM isn't in control of every aspect of the club). That's not to say that we aren't aiming for significant action, but you can't ask for dialogue then go in with a monologue and an ultimatum.

Joe's proved that protests don't need the Supporters' Trust to be leading them. Someone else made the sage observation that at the moment we have a two-pronged approach, and I think that's probably what's needed right now - in which case we'll take the lead on the dialogue, and others can continue leading the protests. The Trust doesn't need to be at the forefront of everything, there are very capable people not on the Trust board too. :smile:
    To be clear, I am not saying that a complete change of direction on and off the field has to be achieved by Christmas, rather that tangible evidence of realistic progress towards that goal has to be communicated to the supporters if this season is to be saved. I have previously posted that I like the "two-pronged approach", a sort of good cop, bad cop, but I think the Trust must make an early decision on whether any progress is honest or just prevarication and I suggest this decision needs to be made before Christmas. That's not an ultimatum, just a realisation of the size of the mess we are in.
  • Options
    Bang on the money brunello
  • Options

Joe's proved that protests don't need the Supporters' Trust to be leading them. Someone else made the sage observation that at the moment we have a two-pronged approach, and I think that's probably what's needed right now - in which case we'll take the lead on the dialogue, and others can continue leading the protests. The Trust doesn't need to be at the forefront of everything, there are very capable people not on the Trust board too. :smile:

A multi-pronged approach works when each of the parties are clearly seen to support the other, when their end goals, including timing, are closely aligned and when the opposition senses complete unity.
    Myself, I don't see this at the moment and I worry because anything less suits the opposition playbook and in itself is likely one of their goals.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

A multi-pronged approach works when each of the parties are clearly seen to support the other, when their end goals, including timing, are closely aligned and when the opposition senses complete unity.
    Myself, I don't see this at the moment and I worry because anything less suits the opposition playbook and in itself is likely one of their goals.

----------Quote not working ?

That's because the only common thread amongst the various voices is 'Change' which is too obvious / stupid.

One person's idea of change is very different to another's - there is no coordination and as such a lot of the noise will either fall by the road side, fail or confuse.
  • Options

That's very much what I am afraid of too. KM would be very nieve to think that the various protest groups are not talking to the Trust but she may try to conduct discussions in a way that makes it difficult for the Trust to actively support protests. And I'm not trying to suggest that Steve Clarke is not a wiley negotiator but for some reason I don't trust KM to play clean.
  • Options

@Hex @WrightCharlie

I think I can say with confidence that all the Trust board get where you are coming from. We have had very lively arguments with each other along the same lines. Definitely it's time limited. But Christmas? I've got two big problems with that. One, in business nobody who sets a deadline of Christmas ever meets it (unless annual bonuses depend on it). The pre Christmas madness consumes everybody.

But more important is the January window. We'd look a right bunch of mugs if we walked away from dialogue, only to see the club make smart moves in the window.

I was thinking this morning about why people lash out at the Trust for not "doing more" at this time. I remembered how, soon after we'd been moved to Selhurst, I went for the first time to a Supporters Club meeting. I supposed protest and action about Selhurst was going to be all over their agenda. I was astounded to discover it wasn't on the agenda at all. So in the end I grabbed the microphone and told them what I thought of all that. It didn't go down well at all. But I noticed two blokes smiling ruefully at me. They were @Airman Brown and Steve Dixon, as I learnt three years later.

I've never forgotten that night and that lesson. So don't worry, The Trust is not going to fiddle while our club burns

I had little doubt that the Trust had been working along the lines you indicate .... but equally if we wait until the window closes then it may be too late.
  • Options

@Hex @WrightCharlie

I think I can say with confidence that all the Trust board get where you are coming from. We have had very lively arguments with each other along the same lines. Definitely it's time limited. But Christmas? I've got two big problems with that. One, in business nobody who sets a deadline of Christmas ever meets it (unless annual bonuses depend on it). The pre Christmas madness consumes everybody.

But more important is the January window. We'd look a right bunch of mugs if we walked away from dialogue, only to see the club make smart moves in the window.

I was thinking this morning about why people lash out at the Trust for not "doing more" at this time. I remembered how, soon after we'd been moved to Selhurst, I went for the first time to a Supporters Club meeting. I supposed protest and action about Selhurst was going to be all over their agenda. I was astounded to discover it wasn't on the agenda at all. So in the end I grabbed the microphone and told them what I thought of all that. It didn't go down well at all. But I noticed two blokes smiling ruefully at me. They were @Airman Brown and Steve Dixon, as I learnt three years later.

I've never forgotten that night and that lesson. So don't worry, The Trust is not going to fiddle while our club burns

I get what you're saying in your response above and in your later response to @Hex. Thank you for saying it, recently I've been hoping for more "robustness" from the Trust and your words make me feel better on that score.
    I do agree on the timing, you're closer to the situation and have a first-hand feel for it and can therefore better decide when enough is enough.

Regarding the "robustness" of the stance taken by the Trust I would like to say one more thing and then I'll shut up :smile:
    There were a lot of people who "stood up" on Saturday and perhaps a further 1,000 who stayed away because they are disillusioned, that's a lot of potential additional members for the cause if one makes the assumption that these people would get behind a more sustained and robust campaign. There will always be periods where things aren't looking as bleak as they do now but we all know they won't last, it's over 2 years now and we can all see the long-term trajectory is downwards, please don't leave it too long before you up the robustness in your long term game.

I'll get my hat and coat now :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    HexHex
    edited December 2015

Hex said:

@Hex @WrightCharlie

I had little doubt that the Trust had been working along the lines you indicate .... but equally if we wait until the window closes then it may be too late.
    Well here is the Trust experience...last year, after the window closed, the Trust initiated the Woolwich meeting. It wasn't a "protest" meeting. But after that, as we know, Luzon started to get results and we got a couple of interesting loans in who did a short term job. Within six weeks or so, what was the mood among the fans? A lot had not just changed their tune, but turned on the Trust for being troublemakers who had exercised bad judgement. edit. At the same time, you had people slagging the Trust off to KM. Yes we had a new chair, Steve Clarke, look there he is, Katrien, chairing that nasty Woolwich meeting...can't trust the Trust, can you Katrien...

Well that's the way it goes, and at most clubs, as we've learnt, not just Charlton. But it has taught us that we need to play a long game. Not that long, because we are all just fans, and we all hurt the same as anyone on here after a performance like Saturday's. But personally, I'll be arguing that we need to keep dialogue going and see what the window brings, as only this will be a clear guide to how RD responds to the club's current plight.
    I am fully aware of what went on following the Woolwich meeting (I was there) so you have my sympathy. I am in full support of the Trusts position and more confident now that they will have the courage to make an important and inevitable decision in the not too distant future. Keep up the good work.
  • Options

@Hex @WrightCharlie

please don't leave it too long before you up the robustness in your long term game.

I'll get my hat and coat now :wink:
    I promise you, we hear you; because we are just as worried as you. I won't be back for a game until the 28th, but my brother is going to Brighton with my Black and White Swansea scarf. Different tactics, one goal.
  • Options
    AB Work on the fact that getting the reduced amount of people in that stadium on board, it wasn't a failed message it was a good message to get to fellow fans but not enough to do the necessary,

I believe whilst the take up is as low as it is and I will accept all the noises of criticism to that point, using the black and white scarves is the best solution whilst work is done in the background to win what's left of the fan Base to see the point of view being put across

Then protest then get loud and assertive not aggressive and abusive

I find it very telling that cabbles point about the abusive nature and the reports from that press release have been deflected or ignored,

Until the cafc fanbase draws together and has an increase supporting change,

focusing attention and effort on vocalising against km and Rd will be wasted energy and a missed opportunity to unite the fans first
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    PL54 said:

That's because the only common thread amongst the various voices is 'Change' which is too obvious / stupid.

One person's idea of change is very different to another's - there is no coordination and as such a lot of the noise will either fall by the road side, fail or confuse.

So what is your suggestion / solution?

• Options
    edited December 2015
    I like Ricardo Vaz Te: he starts well, jumping high against the keeper - and not afraid. Then dropping back, rushing forward and heading again: keeper makes a desperate save. A few minutes later: Vaz Te is beyond the edge of the area, he unleashed a dangerous shot, spiralling, hard and accurate.

Keeper tipped it over. That's better.

• Options

Except it's an empty point, because nobody could organise either an empty or a full stadium. So we do what we can instead.
    Boycott for a fiver? ;-)
  • Options
    Meanwhile, Jonny Jackson limped off after ten minutes. Oh, what a hero he is!

Our opponents have small squads, injuries, bad managers, bankruptcy, etc. And they routinely beat us, 3-0.

And you start blaming the ref.

The "diamond", or the "back four" hardly matters when our players are mentally and physically incapable of stringing three passes together.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    PL54 said:

@PL54 Article on the trust's website written by myself ... coordination.

http://www.castrust.org/2015/11/434033/
  • Options

Except it's an empty point, because nobody could organise either an empty or a full stadium. So we do what we can instead.
    How is an empty point when it is an opinion? I merely was stating my opinion until we get either a full or empty stadium then KM will ignore any protest with the disdain that has already been shown. I stick by that a opinion but please tell the point I'm not allowed one and I will keep quiet.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

PL54 said:

So what is your suggestion / solution?

I don't have one and I can't be bothered to work one out.

It doesn't matter that much to me. Not to say I don't care about the club and enjoy watching games when I can etc but there are many much bigger and far more important things and people in my life for me to get weepy over a game of football.

And yes, I did start going as a kid in the 70s with my Dad and Grandad, I worked on the turnstiles as a youth, I hitch-hiked all over the place when at Uni to see games, have spent a small fortune on STs in the past, shirts, paraphernalia.....tried to get my kids on board (failed) and still enjoy the match day experience but in my mind football is fucked and we're just a very small part of it.

The agendas on here are mixed and personal:

* Manager must have Championship experience (but we'd have that bloke from Walsall, Burton Albion and Neville)

* RD must go (but only once he's spunked a load of cash)

* KM must go (let's hire Voice of the Valley instead)

* The pitch is embarrassing (but changing it is just for show)

* Get the club talking (and then ignore and dismiss everything they say)

* Demand a fans' meeting with the CEO (but fail to ask any probing questions and then laugh at her PowerPoint skills)

* Berate snyone who doesn't think the same as you (including fans' favourite JBG who is now considered a show pony)

The list goes on. Get yourselves organised and you might have a chance of achieving whatever the F it is you want. In the meantime you are being laughed at.

Also, remember that the world of CAFC does not start and end on this website. Saturday proved that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The owner and CEO are doing the laughing
  • Options
    First they ignore you
    Then they laugh at you
    Then they fight you
    Then you win

- Gandhi
  • Options
    edited December 2015

I would urge people not to respond to the words of an individual who by his/her own words has nothing to offer.

I am half inclined to congratulate PL54 on actually managing to string together more than the usual facile one line comment. Thank you it was truly enlightening. It beautifully positions the opinions of a very cynical individual. There is nothing to see here. No genuine contribution to consider just the usual sardonic critique.

In answer to the quest for a solution to quote PL54 I don't have one and I can't be bothered to work one out.

So by your own admission you recognise there is a need for a solution, have no interest in finding one but choose to parasitically belittle the attempts of those who do. Thanks for that. You don't work for the club by any chance?

I should stick with the one liners in future.

Sardonic / Parasitically / Facile

And not of the same opinion as yourself

Crack on

• Options
    PL54 said:

I would urge people not to respond to the words of an individual who by his/her own words has nothing to offer.

I am half inclined to congratulate PL54 on actually managing to string together more than the usual facile one line comment. Thank you it was truly enlightening. It beautifully positions the opinions of a very cynical individual. There is nothing to see here. No genuine contribution to consider just the usual sardonic critique.

In answer to the quest for a solution to quote PL54 I don't have one and I can't be bothered to work one out.

So by your own admission you recognise there is a need for a solution, have no interest in finding one but choose to parasitically belittle the attempts of those who do. Thanks for that. You don't work for the club by any chance?

I should stick with the one liners in future.

Sardonic / Parasitically / Facile

And not of the same opinion as yourself

Crack on

First they ignore you
    Then they laugh at you
    Then they fight you
    Then you do not win

- Me
  • Options
    Good post by rikofold few pages back, I did all that saw every full members cup game, went Bury away etc etc, and that is why I will continue to go end of, I support the badge don't give a toss about anything else and still get enjoyment meeting up with all the lads at the ground and in the Lib everyweek.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    I admire the curved balls sent from midfield to striker - pure, delicious and true. I enjoy watching good teams score.

We are 2-0 down, and our man hammers a ball in to Gudmundsson's nuts. Pole-axed, lengthy treatment. The whole stadium laughed.

That is why Damian Matthew was sacked, and I would get rid of all the 'coaches' at Sparrows Lane, too. The first-team are comical - and the youth are excited children, rushing over from one wing to the other.

Utterly ineffectual. We need an intelligent manager, a man who will sack the friends from Sidcup and stand up to Duchatelet. Watch those carefully weighted balls our opponents carve from one man to another. 1-0.

Three months ago we played Huddersfield at The Valley: The Powell reunion. We should do him proud. We were absolutely ripped apart: side to side, front to back, top to bottom, 0-3.

Little old Charlton.

• Options

We are 2-0 down, and our man hammers a ball in to Gudmundsson's nuts. Pole-axed, lengthy treatment. The whole stadium laughed.

It was 1-0.

Poor effort. 3/10.