Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Managers salaries

Just wondered if anyone had any knowledge of manager's salaries in the Championship. You hear about Premier League Managers earning millions but not so much about Championship managers? The reason I ask is because I was talking at the weekend about Charlton and KF etc. and my mate asked me quite simply "why did the club appoint him then"?

My initial response was because he is prepared to be a 'yes' man to RD and also because he's cheap. I don't really know why I said that other than it being an opinion I must have formed? So it got me thinking.....How much would KF have been earning as a manager in the Belgian 3rd division, and how much would he have been offered to come to Charlton?

I've always said RD and KM are money orientated so assume they would be looking to appoint someone on the cheap. But what is cheap in the Championship? And does 'cheap' still represent a considerable % increase on what KF was earning before he was appointed? I mean, is it the equivalent to say, the Hartlepool or Newport County manager being offered the managers job at Newcastle or Stoke? Does anyone know what he is reported to be earning?

Comments

• braydex said:

Does anyone know what he is reported to be earning?

I don't think you'll find it being reported anywhere. Transfer fees are undisclosed these days let alone the salary of our, *cough*, interim head coach. I guess only a couple of people at the club know this kind of thing? Meire included obviously.
  • He got Tony Watt's bedsit, camp stove and sleeping bag thrown in as a sweetner...that's why the young Scot had to go to Cardiff.
  • Compared to player salaries managers get paid very poorly at least in the Premiership. I would think that it would be closer to parity in the championship and below.
  • Years supply of waffles and a couple of Belgium buns.
  • braydex said:

How much would KF have been earning as a manager in the Belgian 3rd division, and how much would he have been offered to come to Charlton?

Doubt KF received much from the Belgian 3rd division team, but he has been an employee of Staprix (Charlton's parent company) throughout. He may not be earning more than he was before, but it's a better opportunity and may not have been an offer he could refuse without quitting Staprix.
  • Compared to player salaries managers get paid very poorly at least in the Premiership. I would think that it would be closer to parity in the championship and below.

Yes, but think of the job security:-)
  • KF probably on the minimum wage that Rolly pays out!
  • IA said:

braydex said:

How much would KF have been earning as a manager in the Belgian 3rd division, and how much would he have been offered to come to Charlton?

Doubt KF received much from the Belgian 3rd division team, but he has been an employee of Staprix (Charlton's parent company) throughout. He may not be earning more than he was before, but it's a better opportunity and may not have been an offer he could refuse without quitting Staprix.
    Finally someone who understands what went on. KF's job was consultant and scout. The managing gig at Hamme was for recreational purposes. I can give you other examples of former "top" managers or good players who like to do this just for the fun of it.
  • Well I've since found an article that says the average managerial salary for a League 2 club is £50,000 and for League 1, approx. £75,000. So I think it's safe to assume the Championship must be circa £100k? Assuming KF wasn't earning anywhere near that when he was managing Belgium's equivalent of Kidderminster Harriers (no offence to KH by the way).......can we assume that football really is his motivation for wanting to be CAFC manager? He must be counting his lucky stars........!
  • IA said:

braydex said:

This.

How much does CAFC contribute to the Staprix employee pool? Are we still paying for any of Luzon's salary (as well as his PD's) whilst he's here?
  • Sponsored links:

• He's interim so probably equivalent to an office temp set up and no salary, NI or holiday pay.

He may or may not be invited to the Christmas do but may still qualify for luncheon vouchers.
  • Probably on a bonus to keep CAFC in the Championship.
  • Wouldn't be surprised if some salaries aren't being paid by Charlton at all but by other entities.
  • Wouldn't be surprised if some salaries aren't being paid by Charlton at all but by other entities.

'other entities' being ??....

Other companies owned by the owner

Not really considered that, but wouldn't be surprised.

Would expect Fraeye is currently on peanuts in comparison to other managers in the league

Monday to Friday he's a quality controller on the Melexis production line.
  • Reckon KF is on about £60k a year (Pro rata) + Win bonus

So £60k a year
  • Reckon KF is on about £60k a year (Pro rata) + Win bonus

So £60k a year

He probably can't believe his luck. What a rapid climb up the job ladder.

If I randomly bumped into RD at a pub or something I'd buy him a beer and try and be he's mate.

All of a sudden I'm CEO of his electronics business. The network is great for the people in it!
  • Sponsored links:

• IA said:

braydex said:

I'll rephrase that to make more sense.

It may have been an offer he couldn't refuse without quitting Staprix.

I've been in that position before, being offered a promotion I didn't want at no extra pay where it's (not explicitly stated) a 'take it or leave the company'. Not a nice place to be, but maybe Karel is OK with it.