Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

stop

2»

Comments

• Options
    We are now a championship club and haven't been a Premier team since 2006/07.
    Please watch the Johnstone paint dry.
    move on.

Vive Le Republique.
  • Options
    The Premier League has spoken - wait for the Football League poodle to jump ...

(Actually, they might have trouble funding the music).
  • Options

As ever uk news is very selective. I tend to watch Al Jazeera channel that is less sensored and much more news around the globe, not just where there are U.K. interests. I went to Turkey after the bombings and wall to wall coverage that we hadn't seen or heard here in uk.

It was widely covered on the news here.
  • Options

The Premier League has spoken - wait for the Football League poodle to jump ...

(Actually, they might have trouble funding the music).

Doesn't matter. Any music will do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8DMJ3SGlzk
  • Options
    Thought encouraging people to do it at Wembley was too much as a min silence and the Flag display were a fitting and respectable gesture.

This though - I just shake my head at the desperation to prove how upset and 'In it together 'we' all are.
  • Options
    Not seen one person on Twitter that thinks it's a good idea.
  • Options

Ever since Princess Diana died, every time we have one of these big tragedies, or at least every time we have one that captures the media's attention, we have had a progressive ratcheting up of the intensity of the public displays of grief.

It's debatable whether or not English football has any responsibility at all to mark any kind of reaction to the events. I guess doing so is essentially harmless, but either way English football very much paid its respects the other night at Wembley - I'm not sure there is even a need for a minutes silence now and of course all the teams that are away this weekend will probably want to do one next weekend when they are at home as well.

I think it goes without saying that any right minded person, anywhere in the world, will have been appalled by what happened in Paris. If individuals feel the need to pay their respects in someway or another then great, but I just can't buy into this modern desire for every organization to do something like this every time something bad happens.

I'm probably being horribly cynical but I can't help feeling its more driven by a fear of media controversy if they don't do it than an overwhelming desire to show solidarity.

Agree. The "Dianafication of a nation".
  • Options
    Way too far in my opinion. It's asking for trouble when it comes to singing the French national anthem.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Can't believe they're doing this if I'm honest.

It's very quick and easy to gauge public opinion these days. Bounce the idea on twitter/fb and see what you get back before doing the usual 'we know best so f*** the lot of you' attitude.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2015
    I hope they are ready with the Mali national anthem too.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-34877069
  • Options

Can't believe they're doing this if I'm honest.

It's very quick and easy to gauge public opinion these days. Bounce the idea on twitter/fb and see what you get back before doing the usual 'we know best so f*** the lot of you' attitude.

Richard Scudamore doesn't give a flying one about "public opinion". He is in a far too exalted position to worry about such trivia. If he cared, he wouldn't allow the tribulations of the away fans that comes from the TV scheduled alterations.

This is what you get when a former Yellow pages advertising salesman gets into a position of international prominence. And people say KM is out of her depth.
  • Options
    minutes silence yes of course, playing the French national anthem...just a bit weird really
  • Options
    Sets a dangerous precedent, these things are unfortunately happening far too frequently all over the world. The Premier League will be under pressure to do this for every nation affected otherwise they will be accused of only valuing Western lives and that will then be used as a way to stir up even more hatred.
    Minutes silence yes, anthem no!
  • Options
    The consensus here is overwhelming, and some of you report that the consensus is the same across social media.

Yet still the FAPL proceeds. The arrogance and self -regard is quite breathtaking.

Which other football organisation does that remind you of? It will only get worse.

Broken record time: Abolish the FAPL as a separate entity and return the money it administers on behalf of 20 or so individuals, to football.
  • Options
    However, we are 45 posts into a terrorism-related thread and it hasn't descended into an unholy slanging match, so Scudamore has achieved something.
  • Options
    Apparently in a spirit of European solidarity Katrien is thinking of replacing the Red Red Robin with La Brabançonne.