Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

3000 no shows.

edited November 2015 in General Charlton
I have taken this from another Forum. If true it shows the disaffected supporters as bigger than 2 per cent.

Source - Fans Forum minutes from 15 October meeting with Katrien Meire and Mick Everett.

"Final figure for season tickets sold was 10,115. The Club said that on average about 3,000 per game were 'no shows' and that the attendance announced consisted of all tickets that were issued.

http://www.cafc.co.uk/documents/fans-forum-minutes-15-october83-2803194.pdf

Comments

• Options
    Shocked when I read that figure! Surely any decent CEO would be concerned by that percentage and be trying to rectify it? Especially, as it could get a lot worse if the results don't improve.
  • Options
    It's obvious that there are at least this number of no-shows. Just look round the ground.

But this is an average. I would guess more than 5000 no-shows at the last game.
  • Options

It's obvious that there are at least this number of no-shows. Just look round the ground.

But this is an average. I would guess more than 5000 no-shows at the last game.

yes, that would be a further concern, as this would be an average over the season so far, and the last few home games have looked pretty dire. what with the next home game being on tv that will also keep quite a few away.
  • Options
    We've always had a high level of no shows
  • Options
    I have never studied the facts but if a season ticket is 30% cheaper than buying tickets on a match by match basis, it is not at all surprising.
  • Options
    Engineering works on the trains, poor performances on the pitch, silly start times due to Sky will all have contributed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2015
    copied from other thread for reference:

If the average is 3,000 then the range is going to be more like 2-4,000. While it is correct that there are always four-figure no shows, the actual shortfall has historically been confused by the parallel issue of unused comps, which can have a take-up of 40 per cent. The more ludicrous official gates have been at matches with up to 5,000 comps notionally issued, although not under this ownership.

It's only now with the new turnstiles that the club will be able to tell one from the other without counting stubs, which we did once or twice as a test.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Cutting from VOTV121 below, which gives some context. Note that some of these examples are mainly about unused comps, though.
  • Options
    The 3000 are ?

1000: Bournemouth fans who as a thank you to CAFC for our hospitality on and off the pitch last season. May come to 1 game later in season.

1000: The computer cock up which sent out ST to people who either don't exist or
    moved away years ago, and the rest are in a sack in the Royal mail lost in a basement.

1000: Well off CAFC supporters who live abroad and as a loyalty to the shirt will still buy a season ticket even thou they only get to a handful of games.
  • Options
    We always have 11 no shows on the pitch against Millwall!
  • Options

My 3 year old has a season ticket and has never been
    my 3 other boys have season tickets and don't go to midweek and can't make the early live matches due to other committments
    i like the extra seats near me to keep the great unwashed away from me , best £50 i ever spent

Simular to my 11yr. He has had a season for three years now, and most likely goes to 6 or 7 home games per season, £50 for him was more of a way of getting extra space for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Yes, but this is about twice as high as previous seasons.

The no-show figure is undoubtedly exacerbated by the very cheap tickets - it is worth buying a £150/£175 ST even if you know you will only get to ten matches - still cheaper than pay as you go. So good for ST sales, but not so good for actual attendances.

We also have a higher proportion than usual of new season ticketholders, I believe (think the renewal % from a Trust survey was around 85% this season, when normally this would be in the mid 90s).

Put those two things together, and you have a lot of ST holders who are not actually that "loyal" - they have not fully got into the habit of turning up regardless.

Then add in those who are boycotting or just find it more difficult to be bothered anymore, and you are getting close to a perfect storm.

Renewals for next season will be a major challenge.

The problem becomes a challenge when people decide not to renew and drift away.

Is it neccessary for our fixture list to consist of Gold and Silver games, this could well deter non season ticket holders from wanting to pay the higher walk up price point.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I have a season ticket for my son, his third year, and I doubt he has gone to ten games in those three years. However a lot of that is the fact that he doesn't like it because we are rubbish and never seem to win. Also my Dad misses half a dozen games a season because he goes away for most of the winter.

I am the only one that has consistently attended, but during the winter last season (when my Dad was away) I lost interest so missed a handful of games - most of them defeats, unsurprisingly.

This season I've already passed on four of the games. I don't, currently, intend to give up the season ticket, but if my Dad decided to call it a day, or if he was not going to be here, I think I might now.

I believe we will, soon, be able to watch all the top Premier League teams just down the road for a lot less money than I'm currently paying. I might even be able to convince my son to come with me to watch Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City and Spurs. More importantly I'd be able to take clients to the game as a reward for business, opposed to a punishment.
  • Options
    Badger said:

Yes, but this is about twice as high as previous seasons.

The no-show figure is undoubtedly exacerbated by the very cheap tickets - it is worth buying a £150/£175 ST even if you know you will only get to ten matches - still cheaper than pay as you go. So good for ST sales, but not so good for actual attendances.

We also have a higher proportion than usual of new season ticketholders, I believe (think the renewal % from a Trust survey was around 85% this season, when normally this would be in the mid 90s).

Put those two things together, and you have a lot of ST holders who are not actually that "loyal" - they have not fully got into the habit of turning up regardless.

Then add in those who are boycotting or just find it more difficult to be bothered anymore, and you are getting close to a perfect storm.

Renewals for next season will be a major challenge.

The problem becomes a challenge when people decide not to renew and drift away.

Is it neccessary for our fixture list to consist of Gold and Silver games, this could well deter non season ticket holders from wanting to pay the higher walk up price point.
    Good point, and something that needs some thought.
    Never been convinced with a half empty stadium why you are putting on a premium on a ticket, unless we drew a top premiership club in the FA Cup.
    I do not believe that you debase the matchday ticket by making the ground more full. When I was a season ticket holder, which is something I am considering again, I was not concerned with what the person sitting next to me was paying. I am certainly concerned at the rows of empty seats in Lower North, and find the logic to this rather baffling. Having had to pay an 'increase hike' because of my age that irked me as well, but then being an 'old git' I am not valued anyway.
    Of course winning football would be a big motive, but where are we!..... Not exactly working like your communication and pr is it KM?
    But then you know best, after all you are the CEO..............
  • Options
    Is part of the Gold / Silver distinction about getting more income out of the away fans? If so you'd have to up prices in the corresponding home areas too.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

Is part of the Gold / Silver distinction about getting more income out of the away fans? If so you'd have to up prices in the corresponding home areas too.

Yes.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    aliwibble said:

and they charge more for match sponsorship of a shit gold match as opposed to a shit silver match
  • Options

aliwibble said:

and they charge more for match sponsorship of a shit gold match as opposed to a shit silver match
    It's 4 quid difference in the West upper (catagory 5 sections).
  • Options
    So it's not 3000 people protesting every week after all ?
  • Options
    We will play Bolton at home on Tuesday 15th dec it's been classified as a silver fixture.

How can you plan and categorise a fixture that far in advance when we have falling attendances and, this game could possibly be a six-pointer.

• Options
    What is the chance, given the data migration problems with the new database, that any figures comparing this and last season are an 'approximation' ?