Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

IAIN DOWIE SACKED BY CHARLTON - 9 Years Ago today

13»

Comments

• Options
    Was Pardew available when Dowie sacked or only after Reed was appointed.
  • Options
    Pardew wasn't sacked until December 11th. He wasn't available when Dowie went.
  • Options
    edited November 2015

One of the strange things that happened with Dowie was prior to the (final) Wigan game (November 11th) where he apparently got the team coach to drop him off at his house in Bolton on the Friday and left Les Reed, who felt he had not allowed to do his job in training, in charge of the squad until the next afternoon. Coupled with his brother appearing in the dressing room at Chesterfield (Nov 7th) and the Newcastle walk incident(October 28th/29th), there was a feeling, rightly or wrongly, that he was taking the piss and may have been trying to encourage the club to sack him (with compensation). Whether that's true or not, it was about more than results.

At the RM evening about 5 years ago after we beat MK Dons 5-1, RM raised the Wigan game. Dowie just didn't fit and I believe he was

A) not actually good enough

B) stupid to leave Palace in the way he did and join us.

It all conspired to make it a right mess. I didn't know about the Les Reed stuff, but aside from Coventry (I think), has Dowie ever gone back into management. There is a reason for that. Not good enough
  • Options
    Didn't Dowie play JFH in midfield when we went down to 10 men v West Ham in his first game? And also play a 433 with Bryan Hughes in central midfield in other games? Clueless as I recall.
  • Options

Didn't Dowie play JFH in midfield when we went down to 10 men v West Ham in his first game? And also play a 433 with Bryan Hughes in central midfield in other games? Clueless as I recall.

He at least used Rommedahl as an attacking winger, and not a defender, as Curbs used to!
  • Options
    Though Dowie's record of turning Palace around in half a season from relegation dogfight to promotion seemed outstanding to an outsider, nearly kept them up and had them in the lottery of the play-offs he didn't fit in the end. Billy Davies seemed good but would have struggled. Peter Taylor was tried and failed. Dowie must have bluffed his way through the interview process. He said he was allowed to speak to Charlton after telling SJ he was leaving Palace. He had actually told SJ he wouldn't go to Charlton. In his time Dowie committed several acts of gross misconduct by the sound of things like getting the players lost near a busy road, allowing his brother to work for the club behind Murray's back and when Murray rang him to ask for the team it would frequantly go to Dowie's voicemail and only hours later Dowie would ring back from a noisy pub probably drunk asking if Murray had called. The final straw was when he stayed with his family near Bolton the night before that fateful Wigan game and he only turned up at the DW or JJB as it was then about half an hour before kick-off by the sound of things drunk. Not a good example to the players. I wanted to like him but he certainly came to the Charlton on a lie. The bloke sounds like a criminal fraudster to me. Apparantly he has annoyed his bosses at more than one club from what I have heard. Only on the morning of his sacking there was a You Tube clip of him in a club getting absolutely hammered. Plus he is not the best of man managers either. I cringe everytime I see his face or hear his voice on Sky Sports News.
  • Options
    If all the above is true, then it begs the following question: What sort of clueless idiot would employ someone like that to replace Alan Curbishley?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Precisely.

And we ignored it far too long.
  • Options
    I still struggle to see how Dowie was ever first choice, even ahead of Curbs doing one more year.
  • Options

Though Dowie's record of turning Palace around in half a season from relegation dogfight to promotion seemed outstanding to an outsider, nearly kept them up and had them in the lottery of the play-offs he didn't fit in the end. Billy Davies seemed good but would have struggled. Peter Taylor was tried and failed. Dowie must have bluffed his way through the interview process. He said he was allowed to speak to Charlton after telling SJ he was leaving Palace. He had actually told SJ he wouldn't go to Charlton. In his time Dowie committed several acts of gross misconduct by the sound of things like getting the players lost near a busy road, allowing his brother to work for the club behind Murray's back and when Murray rang him to ask for the team it would frequantly go to Dowie's voicemail and only hours later Dowie would ring back from a noisy pub probably drunk asking if Murray had called. The final straw was when he stayed with his family near Bolton the night before that fateful Wigan game and he only turned up at the DW or JJB as it was then about half an hour before kick-off by the sound of things drunk. Not a good example to the players. I wanted to like him but he certainly came to the Charlton on a lie. The bloke sounds like a criminal fraudster to me. Apparantly he has annoyed his bosses at more than one club from what I have heard. Only on the morning of his sacking there was a You Tube clip of him in a club getting absolutely hammered. Plus he is not the best of man managers either. I cringe everytime I see his face or hear his voice on Sky Sports News.

Er, there are some extremely serious allegations in there which - if untrue - would very likely be defamatory.

I am thinking here in particular of accusing him of turning up to the Wigan game late and drunk......
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Just checking what happens if I do it with a small b

b)

I thought it was meant to do this: image
  • Options

Er, there are some extremely serious allegations in there which - if untrue - would very likely be defamatory.

I am thinking here in particular of accusing him of turning up to the Wigan game late and drunk......
    Only what I have heard. I have made none of this up.
  • Options

shirty5 said:

Simonsen said:

Can anyone put up a list of Dowie signings?

Traore
    Faye
    A Reid
    Diawara
    Carson (Season Loan)
    Pouso
    Gibbs?
    Anyone else feel like this when they see some of these names...

• Options
    I thought Dowie also signed Darren Ambrose - or am I wrong ?
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Murray's 2nd biggest sacking mistake after Brian Cole.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Aah, I remember that day. Thinking the shit was over and things were gonna get better :unamused:
  • Options
    His communication skills have continued to deteriorate steadily.
    When he did alright at Palarse they must have really bought into the shit he spouted. That's why they went for Hodgson in the end #languagedifficulties
  • Options
    edited November 2017

Nope he was under Curbs...

Edit: Signed the same year as Darren Bent
  • Options

I think Ambrose was a Curbs signing. Am I right in saying Gibbs was signed between Curbs leaving and Dowie arriving? Or was he a Curbs signing too?
  • Options

Nope he was under Curbs...

Edit: Signed the same year as Darren Bent
    Ok - I always felt Ambrose could have achieved at lot more as a footballer
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    The pinnacle of facepalm moments was when he took over from Curbs. Effing ex Palace *£$€#%!!!! And to think him and Pardew are now pundits on sky too. Jesus H Corbett.
  • Options
    When you think of the short-list of names for the job back then, it isn't great is it? Iain Dowie, Billy Davies, Peter Taylor......

Wish we'd begged George Graham to come for a couple of seasons....
  • Options
    Advancing the addicts!

Most annoying thing has seen clubs like Fulham and palace make the right managerial appointment. I guess if there's any consolation we share something with Man Utd. Will be interesting to see who replaces Wenger. Dowie has proven himself to be hopeless and Pardew and impact manager. Hard to think who at the time was the right man.

Crazy that we've topped this appointment a few times under the Duchateley era although the Reed was simply ridiculous and up there with Fraye.

I agree with Murray's ego getting us in this state.