Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

IAIN DOWIE SACKED BY CHARLTON - 9 Years Ago today

Comments

• Options
    C_A_F_C said:

Murray really got one over on Simon Jordan.

He tried to
  • Options
    If you count caretaker managers, 9 in 9 years
  • Options
    Murray must have suddenly lost self respect and self control days before giving dowie the job. Most irrational shocking decision ever.

Dowie did not have any relative enough success and experience to help take charlton forward, it was utter suicide.

Like spending years building a big castle, then the same person just suddenly blowing it up.

Something like:

Doing it for charlton (eh you alrite mate?!) 70:30 getting one over Jordan

• Options
    Worse manager since I've supported club absolutely no idea what he was. Doing. Even got lost going for a jog.how he is on sky sports still od sooner look at shit all day which is what he made us do with some of those signings. Absolute #*****
  • Options
    You know how to kick a man, i'm still having nightmares about him.
  • Options
    Curbs never had the money dowie had to spend , why did Murray and co give him so much money
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/charlton_athletic/6145292.stm

Still think if he had stayed we would have got out of it eventually.

We would have had more of a chance at least but he should never have been appointed in the first place considering some of the managers we could have had. The worst decision in the last 30 years at this club, and it cost us everything.
  • Options
    Worst decision we made. If we stuck with dowie we might still be in the prem now.
  • Options
    dizzee said:

Worst decision we made. If we stuck with dowie we might still be in the prem now.

While we shouldn't have appointed him in the first place, we certainly should not have sacked him. (People quoting gross misconduct, I've been asking for 9 years now what this was, and there is still no definitive answer. Surely those 'IN THE KNOW' can now reveal - use the word allegedly if necessary!)

Dowie did understand some of our players, where they should play, they took to him by all accounts. Reed was hopeless as a manager, the squad despised him, and refused to play for him. Even nice-guy Captain Clean-Shorts said 'No comment' when asked if Reed had the support of the players.

Appointed a bit sooner and Pardew could have kept us up, which just goes to show what damage the Reed debacle did.

What an unnecessary disaster.
  • Options

The best bit was people honestly thought curbs had taken us as far as he could,

Not that this was why he left but it's insane to think that if curbs never left that year we more than likely would not be where we are now,
    And Rd probably wouldn't own us

In my opinion he had got us as far as he could , probably as far as anyone could.
  • Options
    Alan C left as he needed to strengthen the team. He did not want much but it was refused. Dowie allowed Murray to dig at Palace. Dowies signings were awful ( when the best centre half in the world that no one had heard of turns up in August wearing gloves, I think that says it all)
    Dowie wasted over three times what Curbs wanted.
    But all that's history.
    What matters now is RD and KM out.
  • Options

Darren Bents old man knew a friend of a friend and most of the players had the hump with the decision and supported Dowie and didn't like the way Les Reed "had stabbed him in the back"
    Sounds about right with the subsequent wankness that followed

The fact that Murray chose Dowies coaching staff for him rather than let him bring his own said enough for me about Murray and he turned down Curbs offer of help to find his successor ..... Ridiculous

Didn't Dowie bring Woodman the goalie coach in? And the Australian (ex-Rugby League) fitness coach?
  • Options
    Can anyone put up a list of Dowie signings?
  • Options
    I thought at the time that the only reason for the appointment was to get one over on Palace. Nine years on and I've never seen or heard anything to persuade me otherwise. Well, that worked well didn't it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Always thought the criticism of Diawara was over the top. He wasn't a bad player which he's proved since. We had a lot worse in that defence alone. Djimi Traore springs to mind.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Simonsen said:

Traore
    Faye
    A Reid
    Diawara
    Carson (Season Loan)
    Hasselbaink
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Simonsen said:

Traore
    Faye
    A Reid
    Diawara
    Carson (Season Loan)
    Pouso
    Gibbs?
  • Options
    Simon Walton
  • Options
    edited November 2015

shirty5 said:

Simonsen said:

Traore
    Faye
    A Reid
    Diawara
    Carson (Season Loan)
    Pouso
    Gibbs?
    Think Curbishley brought Gibbs in.
  • Options

shirty5 said:

Simonsen said:

Traore
    Faye
    A Reid
    Diawara
    Carson (Season Loan)
    Pouso
    Gibbs?
    Think Curbishley brought Gibbs in.
    Thought so.
  • Options
    While Dowie was a wrong appointment, allowing him to bring him in so many players, then sacking him so quickly was ridiculous. Those were his signings, imagine how they'd feel if the guy who signed them is dumped like that.
    Les Reed has showed his worth as a coach previously, and is doing a fine job at Southampton now as a technical director, but was a hopeless manager...
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    One of the strange things that happened with Dowie was prior to the (final) Wigan game (November 11th) where he apparently got the team coach to drop him off at his house in Bolton on the Friday and left Les Reed, who felt he had not allowed to do his job in training, in charge of the squad until the next afternoon. Coupled with his brother appearing in the dressing room at Chesterfield (Nov 7th) and the Newcastle walk incident(October 28th/29th), there was a feeling, rightly or wrongly, that he was taking the piss and may have been trying to encourage the club to sack him (with compensation). Whether that's true or not, it was about more than results.