Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Target 20k - One small step

So it appears that one of the stated goals of the Spell it Out in Black and White campaign ie a working group to grow attendances was mentioned by KM last night.

Maybe it was the campaign (I know that she is aware of the campaign) was a catalyst. Maybe they already had the idea, maybe it was such an obvious idea that had worked well in the past that it would have happened anyway. It doesn't really matter.

What does matter is that the working group has the right membership and has a real influence.

So who should be part of this group?

Straight off I will say NOT ME. I DON'T WANT TO BE PART OF IT. I was part of the old Target 40K but that was then this is now.

What is needed is people with a marketing background. @Weegie Addick and @Kap10 are two names that come to mind.

Some of those who were on the old target 40k group would be useful such as Craig Norris and Steve Clarke.

And someone like @Addickted2TheReds who is under 50

The new head of Comms should be on it and the Marketing/Commercial manager (don't know their name) as well as Lisa Squires the Club development officer.

And that's it. No KM and no RM. The aim is to work up proposal for the board to consider and approve, not for it to be driven by the board.

Keep it small (7 or 8 people tops) and keep it relevant (give the group a clear remit and budget).

It shouldn't be a committee of 25 people with reps from every group. Bring in people with the right skills.

There is one obvious name to add. And it would be a good use of that person's experience. Will the club be brave enough to ask?

Comments

• There is one obvious name to add. And it would be a good use of that person's experience. Will the club be brave enough to ask?

Steve Waggott?
    Scott Wagstaff?
  • I may sound stupid here, but, why should we be helping them build attendances to 20k when our (I'm sure I speak for the majority/fair portion of posters here) goal is to get them from our club? We'll be helping line their pockets, this is something that should come after we have attacked this ownership. They'll keep doing what they do, as un-supportive as it sounds the way to drive them out is scupper their plans; hand them no help, no money and cause them problems.

You may well be right and the time for this has passed.

The idea though is still sound.

And it is still our club so if people want to try and bring about change and improvement from the inside then good for them.

If on the other hand people think that the only option to get KM and RD out then good for them too
  • I have a strong marketing background, but am too old these days. One thing I can tell you is that you can forget 20K under Rolands ownership unless somebody bangs his head against the wall very hard. It will not happen unless we find someone with authority who is strong enough to make it happen, and there is no chance of Roland allowing that. We should be thinking more about preventing 9K.
  • I may sound stupid here, but, why should we be helping them build attendances to 20k when our (I'm sure I speak for the majority/fair portion of posters here) goal is to get them from our club? We'll be helping line their pockets, this is something that should come after we have attacked this ownership. They'll keep doing what they do, as un-supportive as it sounds the way to drive them out is scupper their plans; hand them no help, no money and cause them problems.

You may well be right and the time for this has passed.

The idea though is still sound.

And it is still our club so if people want to try and bring about change and improvement from the inside then good for them.

If on the other hand people think that the only option to get KM and RD out then good for them too
    Of course I totally agree with the sentiment and I'd love more than anyone to see consistent 20k+ attendances but the time for that has to be right.

I think we have enough concrete proof that the ownership is too stuck up to change their business plan drastically enough to appease our fanbase.

If we get high attendances, they are laughing. It'll slowly crack them down if we keep at what we're doing, rather than trying to help them. I'll happily back the project in the unforeseeable future, time has to be right though.

Why should we build castles on top of their sh*tty foundations?
  • Sponsored links:

• Out of interest, and I am merely playing devils advocate, rather than disagreeing with you...why does it need a group set up to achieve higher attendances?

I do marketing in sport and have worked for two clubs in sport now. Effectively my remit in both cases was 'fill the stadium'. Obviously not quite as simple as that as things like building the brand etc etc come into it, but my overall aim was increasing attendances.

Why then should this not already be the marketing managers/directors job? Why has it only just been seen as a good idea, and why does he need external help in achieving it?

I agree but do with have a marketing manager and if we do will they suggest ideas such as cheerleaders, sofas, changing the club nickname as Addicks suggests drug use while Eagles is much better.

Maybe by listening to and taking ideas from fans they will avoid these mistakes and tap into other expertise.

Football for a fiver, just one example, was an idea worked though at a Target 40k meeting.

ST prices were debated and fans views sort to see if the club was getting it right.
  • I want the opposite. I want their team to lose, the team to be relegated and attendances to plummet until they have gone. Not every ones cup of tea I know but I don't see how you can want them out but at the same time support their team and help them grow.
    But I think I am in a minority on wanting them gone. The majority just want a few wins, whilst others have their own aims such as personal involvement.
  • Out of interest, and I am merely playing devils advocate, rather than disagreeing with you...why does it need a group set up to achieve higher attendances?

I do marketing in sport and have worked for two clubs in sport now. Effectively my remit in both cases was 'fill the stadium'. Obviously not quite as simple as that as things like building the brand etc etc come into it, but my overall aim was increasing attendances.

Why then should this not already be the marketing managers/directors job? Why has it only just been seen as a good idea, and why does he need external help in achieving it?

I agree but do with have a marketing manager and if we do will they suggest ideas such as cheerleaders, sofas, changing the club nickname as Addicks suggests drug use while Eagles is much better.

Maybe by listening to and taking ideas from fans they will avoid these mistakes and tap into other expertise.

Football for a fiver, just one example, was an idea worked though at a Target 40k meeting.

ST prices were debated and fans views sort to see if the club was getting it right.
    Fair enough. So in essence it's more of a focus group to run ideas past fans. and tap up fans for ideas which would be a good idea.
  • Before the club get to 20,00 they had better stop the decline in numbers. I estimate a 20%-30% decline in attendance since start of the season. At the moment you could not give tickets away to a Charlton game.
  • So, first the B&W campaign and now Target 20K which you DON'T WANT TO BE PART OF.
    In the unlikely event this takes off, I assume you won't want to take any of the credit?
  • You don't need a specific campaign to grow attendances to 20k, you just need a good product and some success. Twenty thousand people are not going to come and watch us have relegation scraps in the Championship year after year.

If only it was that simple.

You can't guarantee a successful team even though a winning team is always the best marketing.

What you can do is make coming to the valley easy and attractive whether we're winning or losing.

That way when we do start winning you have a group of potential fans. Kids for a quid was a great example of this in the 90s when crowds were much smaller than now. Valley Express another as it football for a fiver.

Think of it like the GB cycling team and making the tiny improvements to get success. The big stuff is down to the athletes but you do what you can outside that to capitalise on success
  • LenGlover said:

I'm no marketing wallah but if they get it right ON THE PITCH the people will come.

The rest is flannel and bullshit in my view.

So when we were winning at the start of the season did crowds shoot up?

When we were winning at the start of last season did crowds shot up?

• Redskin said:

So, first the B&W campaign and now Target 20K which you DON'T WANT TO BE PART OF.
    In the unlikely event this takes off, I assume you won't want to take any of the credit?

Credit for what. Starting the campaign, yes, i'll take the credit for that.

Doing all the leg work, no that was @Addickted2TheReds so he gets the credit. Along with others

Target 20k is an old idea being revived so no credit there in any case.

Strange response
  • edited November 2015
    LenGlover said:

I'm no marketing wallah but if they get it right ON THE PITCH the people will come.

The rest is flannel and bullshit in my view.

The evidence doesn't necessarily support the view that it's that simple:
    http://www.votvonline.com/home/the-target-10k-story/
  • Sponsored links:

Fair enough. So in essence it's more of a focus group to run ideas past fans. and tap up fans for ideas which would be a good idea.
    Yes but the fans are those with a background that means they can challenge and suggest ideas
  • msomerton said:

Before the club get to 20,00 they had better stop the decline in numbers. I estimate a 20%-30% decline in attendance since start of the season. At the moment you could not give tickets away to a Charlton game.

And how to do that? That's the point.
  • One way to incease attendance would be to make the East Stand the away end and drop price.

Bants.
  • I think there needs to be a greater sense of 'ownership' by fans before this can work, personally, just my view
  • razil said:

I think there needs to be a greater sense of 'ownership' by fans before this can work, personally, just my view

Agreed. Otherwise it is just rearranging deckchairs on some ship that is famous for hitting an iceberg...

• We will fill the ground if we get to the premiership.
  • Redskin said:

So, first the B&W campaign and now Target 20K which you DON'T WANT TO BE PART OF.

Credit for what. Starting the campaign, yes, i'll take the credit for that.

Doing all the leg work, no that was @Addickted2TheReds so he gets the credit. Along with others

Target 20k is an old idea being revived so no credit there in any case.

Strange response
    Nothing strange about it at all: perfectly straightforward.