Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Stephen Henderson

His interview was appalling today and I have just told him so on Twitter (politely and not abusively, there's no law against it.)

It was a thoroughly patronising read. I am sick to death of coaches and players telling us we "must support the team, no matter what!" even when not only is the club being run so corruptly, but also the players have been flat out incompetent. They deserve a kick up the backside from the fans! What on earth, after this long run, makes them think they don't? Do they realise how hard it is to actually disassociate the club from the team currently, especially when it's chuck full of players sourced through RD's transfer mandate? I'm not saying boo from minute one and hurl abuse at every mistake but when you lose back to back 3-0 defeats at home and with everything else going on and the length of a run of not just losses, but terrible football, don't be surprised if the fans take umbridge with you at the end and let you know.

It's clearly the remit at the moment, use the only popular figures left at the club to try and guilt trip supporters into focusing purely on the football and the fact that there have even been some subtle hints that our actions have helped to impact their downfall disgusts me even further.

If they really want to separate themselves, shut up, play the game and give us something to cheer about and show the respect you claim to have for the fans by understanding the situation from all angles and letting it play out.

Comments

• Supporting the team today was a bad idea then was it?
  • Supporting and airing your frustration when performances are so poor are two different things.
  • Just checked out your tweets. Pretty pathetic not going to lie

Well I'm touched...
  • This is a classic 'chicken & egg' situation though.

If the team come out and play football to the best of their ability. Nobody boos them, most get right behind them.

If the team come out, look disinterested, make little or no effort and as a result get tonked 3-0 at home by a relegation candidate team. They will very likely get booed.

I had the misfortune to watch a rabble of a team, capitulate to Preston then Brentford. No effort, no passion, little ability.

Yesterday I had the misfortune (typical) to miss the game V the Massives. I'm given to believe our team went for it from the start and we actually outplayed the opposition. I even took a peek at 'Owlstalk' Even they conceded Charlton were better then them on the day.

Actually it's quite simple. If Henderson and the team give it their all, they won't get booed.
    If they make no effort, they may well get booed, deservedly so.
  • You right @Daggs it definitely is a case of the Chicken and the Egg scenario... trouble is, I never boo because I dont know what may be going on with the player.

We beat Coventry 1-0 with Andy Hunt scoring the sole goal, up until that moment he'd had an awful match, the fans were getting on his back (because of his lack of effort) and was subbed straight after scoring, a lot later we learnt of his condition, Andy never played for Charlton again and the criticism he was getting that day, to say its unjustified is an understatement.

Same these days, we know from yesterday that the Charlton players will give their all when they can (they dont want to suffer relegation because it'll be a black mark on their CV for the rest of their careers), we know Simon Makienok gets emotional when he scores because he lost his Mum not too long ago so that could effect him sometimes, others could be carrying knocks so are playing through the pain yet because of that injury they cant play as well as they usually can (In that case, the player deserves credit for wanting to try and make a difference, regardless of the long term impact that injury could have on their career).

We have arguments with our partners, we have issues in our personal lives, we go into work and we dont perform to 100% of our ability... Why should it be any different on the pitch, especially when a Manager doesnt get results and fans constantly say: If I performed that badly I'd be sacked

Its why the team should always be given the benefit of the doubt, they're not deliberately trying to lose
  • You're very generous with your compassion. Sadly I don't believe for one nanoscond that personal misfortune played any part in the teams recent lack of professional pride.

Something happened yesterday and our team made an effort. Was it Karel Fraeye, was it Jason Euell was it Johnny Jackson or was it the team facing up to reality and acknowledging their own recent failings? I don't know.

What I do know is when I pitch up on the 28th, I want to see some of what others saw yesterday. If i see a repeat of what i saw in the two previous games. The last thing I want to hear is moaning and whinging from the players about 'support'
  • "Stick to your cricket Tom" Well then lol
  • He's very precious old Tom isn't he
  • Sponsored links:

• Yeah we should have booed the players a few more times and we'd have scored a few more

Admit it... Henderson was right, booing has no positive effect on a match and that by getting behind the players the whole game meant we saw a brilliant performance from them.

Yes you can say the fans deserve their say as we pay to have our say, yet if that all it takes, why dont the players just fork out £400 themselves on a pointless season ticket so they can have their legitimate say?

(If they do, can they buy the seats around me so I dont get pesky, pain in the arse, loud mouth kids sitting round me)

I think, like a lot, you've missed the point. I'm also talking back beyond yesterday, especially given this interview took place beforee the game. I don't actually boo at games myself, not unless they are truly dreadful and at it's at the end as the game is over then, they've had 90 solid minutes to turn up with something and they haven't. At Preston and Brentford not only were the performances very poor from a pure footballing perspective but they showed no passion or desire or belief. Yes, I'm sure life is not easy as a Charlton player right now but they are professionals and are paid handsomely, we have all experienced similar situations at work places I'm sure and are still expected to show effort. We may not be in the public eye, but then we are not paid so well to be either and for all the significant perks of being a professional football player this is one of the downsides and all players know this when they get into the game which is why in the current Mourinho case, I don't disagree with him on everything and I'm just amazed and stunned that he seems to think something's going to change!
    This is a classic 'chicken & egg' situation though.

If the team come out and play football to the best of their ability. Nobody boos them, most get right behind them.

If the team come out, look disinterested, make little or no effort and as a result get tonked 3-0 at home by a relegation candidate team. They will very likely get booed.

I had the misfortune to watch a rabble of a team, capitulate to Preston then Brentford. No effort, no passion, little ability.

Yesterday I had the misfortune (typical) to miss the game V the Massives. I'm given to believe our team went for it from the start and we actually outplayed the opposition. I even took a peek at 'Owlstalk' Even they conceded Charlton were better then them on the day.

Actually it's quite simple. If Henderson and the team give it their all, they won't get booed.
    Simple, yet effective.
    "Stick to your cricket Tom" Well then lol
    Yes this was a very impressive response from a fully grown adult. I was also very impressed by the blocking that then took place, especially given I didn't follow him in the first place.

The fact that fans can't air their views with players in a polite but aggreived manner, with no abuse or threats, and still have a player respond with, what I can only assume, is some kind of 'dig' at cricket followed by a shutters-down response of I don't have to hear any criticism is quite pathetic really. They are not newborn babies, they do not need this level of protection and if the best we can get out of them is PR guff then that's a pretty sad state of affairs. I would also imagine that he didn't have a response as I've seen our players get properly communicative when fans actually abuse them via social media, when a fan actually confronts one who has a grasp on the English language you get sarcasm and emoticions because they don't have the brain-span or willingness to give you anything else.
    He's very precious old Tom isn't he
    Is this because you think all cricket fans are 'old'?
    Also where do you get off trying to berate Olly?? He's one of the few people on that staff who is proper Charlton. If you think a club journalist is going to comment on a protest against the regime that signs his paycheck then you're fucking daft. There was nothing wrong with what he tweeted
    Just follow me lad! I don't mind, I love people like you, don't hide in the background, come out of the darkness! Berate is an incredibly strong word, I would say what the other fans who responded did was 'berate', I made a point about the club's narrative and given he responded to me and no-one else suggests he was actually quite interested in getting to the bottom of this. Also I couldn't give a damn if he supports the club or not, what does that have to do with anything? Do you think they let him wear his kit to work? The only daft person here is you.
  • Congratulations, you've won the longest comment ever written on Charlton Life award.

Me Daft? Haha not a chance
  • Well, gee, thanks. What do I get? Go on, say it's a signed pair of Stephen Henderson gloves.
  • The tweets to Olly are really strange. Are you suggesting that there's a cryptic dig at the fans hidden within his original tweet???
  • Haha what a freaky thing to try and dig out
  • I'm not quite sure how my post has been dragged into the argument !!!!
  • Twitter has a character limit for a reason.
  • The tweets to Olly are really strange. Are you suggesting that there's a cryptic dig at the fans hidden within his original tweet???

No, I'm suggesting he prefers cream in his coffee than milk...
  • Yeah we should have booed the players a few more times and we'd have scored a few more

Admit it... Henderson was right, booing has no positive effect on a match and that by getting behind the players the whole game meant we saw a brilliant performance from them.

Yes you can say the fans deserve their say as we pay to have our say, yet if that all it takes, why dont the players just fork out £400 themselves on a pointless season ticket so they can have their legitimate say?

(If they do, can they buy the seats around me so I dont get pesky, pain in the arse, loud mouth kids sitting round me)

I think, like a lot, you've missed the point. I'm also talking back beyond yesterday, especially given this interview took place beforee the game. I don't actually boo at games myself, not unless they are truly dreadful and at it's at the end as the game is over then, they've had 90 solid minutes to turn up with something and they haven't. At Preston and Brentford not only were the performances very poor from a pure footballing perspective but they showed no passion or desire or belief. Yes, I'm sure life is not easy as a Charlton player right now but they are professionals and are paid handsomely, we have all experienced similar situations at work places I'm sure and are still expected to show effort. We may not be in the public eye, but then we are not paid so well to be either and for all the significant perks of being a professional football player this is one of the downsides and all players know this when they get into the game which is why in the current Mourinho case, I don't disagree with him on everything and I'm just amazed and stunned that he seems to think something's going to change!

Simple, yet effective.
    Yes this was a very impressive response from a fully grown adult. I was also very impressed by the blocking that then took place, especially given I didn't follow him in the first place.

The fact that fans can't air their views with players in a polite but aggreived manner, with no abuse or threats, and still have a player respond with, what I can only assume, is some kind of 'dig' at cricket followed by a shutters-down response of I don't have to hear any criticism is quite pathetic really. They are not newborn babies, they do not need this level of protection and if the best we can get out of them is PR guff then that's a pretty sad state of affairs. I would also imagine that he didn't have a response as I've seen our players get properly communicative when fans actually abuse them via social media, when a fan actually confronts one who has a grasp on the English language you get sarcasm and emoticions because they don't have the brain-span or willingness to give you anything else.
    Also where do you get off trying to berate Olly?? He's one of the few people on that staff who is proper Charlton. If you think a club journalist is going to comment on a protest against the regime that signs his paycheck then you're fucking daft. There was nothing wrong with what he tweeted
    Just follow me lad! I don't mind, I love people like you, don't hide in the background, come out of the darkness! Berate is an incredibly strong word, I would say what the other fans who responded did was 'berate', I made a point about the club's narrative and given he responded to me and no-one else suggests he was actually quite interested in getting to the bottom of this. Also I couldn't give a damn if he supports the club or not, what does that have to do with anything? Do you think they let him wear his kit to work? The only daft person here is you.

That is one painful read!!
  • Sponsored links:

Simple, yet effective.

That is one painful read!!

Well I'm sorry if it hurt, I didn't mean tooooooooo...
  • EastStand said:

Called up to the Republic of Ireland squad.

Yay! Way to go Hendo.

I just saw this also, good luck to the lad...but don't bloody get injured!
  • EastStand said:

Called up to the Republic of Ireland squad.

Yay! Way to go Hendo.

Good for him, unfortunately he has Eliot in front of him ACTUALLY playing first-team football, Randolph had a good half against the world champions too, and Westwood is in decent form. Hopefully he can push to be Ireland's no. 1 when Krul returns to Newcastle.
  • Well Robbie is out injured, so 1 down!
  • Class.

Would be brilliant if we had both JBG and Hendo at the Euro's.
  • Might add a '0' when we cash in
  • Potentially four current keepers who have all played for us and in Internationals - Henderson (assuming he does play at some point), Randolph and Elliott plus Carson.

I can think of seven other keepers who have played for us and also at full International level during their career - Dan Kiely (ROI). Stephan Anderson (Denmark), Thomas Myhre (Norway), Sasa Ilic (Serbia), Tony Warner (Trinidad & Tobago), Carl Ikeme (Nigeria) and the one and only Charlie Wright who played for Hong Kong the once in 1960 whilst on National Service!

Any I've missed?
  • Neil Etheridge: Philippines