Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Another Nail in the BBC Coffin Lid ?

I didn't realise until today that the BBC has lost half of the TV rights to the Rugby Six Nations. The BBC has become the C(for Celtic) BC so far as rugby is concerned.

When I were a lad, albeit a long time ago, the BBC broadcast rugby union internationals, football (not much of it), test cricket on the telly, all major athletics meets, Wimbledon, all major horse racing meets, rugby league every Saturday, major boxing title fights, the boat race, and on and on and on .. now, there are not many 'sporting jewels' left in the BBC crown, not to mention that (in my opinion) the ITV drama department is wiping the floor with the tepid BBC efforts.

Perhaps Auntie should cull lots of the overstaffed journalistic and management departments and spend more on what it is supposed to do for us licence payers .. making even more quality television and radio programmes.
The BBC is still pretty wonderful, but standards and quality have gone downhill rapidly in the past few years.... or is this just me getting old(er) and (even more) miserable ? .. ((:>)

http://www.itv.com/news/2015-07-09/itv-and-bbc-secure-six-nations-rights-for-six-years/

Comments

• True about the sport aspect, but that's probably all too overpriced these days anyway.

However, they do know how to make a cracking nature documentary. That recent Hunted one is a prime example.

(I know, am getting old just thinking about that statement!)
  • edited November 2015
    I think the BBC should do what it's very good at and move away from the high cost sporting area of broadcasting. It needs to spend what it has more wisely. Sport is just silly buggers money.

• Detectorists
  • Not sure but I think you may have touched a nerve there Lincs.

• Chizz said:

Yeah, the BBC's rubbish isn't it? They should scrap all that other stuff and pay loads more money to televise the Home Nations, even though the quality of the rugby has decreased in reverse proportion to the salaries paid: as demonstrated by the failure of home Nations teams to reach the World Cup Final.

There's absolutely no television that's come out of the BBC that's been any good over the last few years, apart from Sherlock.

And Luther.

And Planet Earth, Frozen Planet and Human Planet.

And...
    The Office and Extras
    The Thick Of It
    Dr Who
    Ashes to Ashes, Life on Mars and Life in the Undergrowth
    Being Human
    Never Mind the Buzzcocks, University Challenge, Only Connect and QI
    National, Regional and local news and current affairs; and weather; and Newsnight; and Question Time
    Marr and Partridge
    Have I Got News For You
    Sense & Sensibility and Bleak House
    Wonders of the Solar System and Wonders of the Planet
    The Apprentice
    Bake Off, Strictly and The Voice
    Match of the Day
    A History of Britain and Little Britain
    CBBC

Ah, but are any of those mindless programs that I can watch in my grey trackies on the sofa eating an Iceland frozen miracle (inspired by one of their adverts) whilst drinking a can of run-of-the-mill lager?

Or contain Sarah Lancashire?

If not, I'm out.
  • How about funding the BBC enough so that it is able to afford the television rights to all those events?

Standards are going down because it is being asked to work at the same level for much much less.
  • Not sure the BBC is anywhere near a coffin, but John Whittingdale is working on it. But he won't get away with it. He's got some bogus "public consultation" going on. Taken part? heard of it? Thought not. It's very dubious. I whacked in an FOI request to get clarity on the methodology. They are already wriggling, LLDC style...
  • Chizz said:

Yeah, the BBC's rubbish isn't it? They should scrap all that other stuff and pay loads more money to televise the Home Nations, even though the quality of the rugby has decreased in reverse proportion to the salaries paid: as demonstrated by the failure of home Nations teams to reach the World Cup Final.

There's absolutely no television that's come out of the BBC that's been any good over the last few years, apart from Sherlock.

And Luther.

And...
    The Office and Extras
    The Thick Of It
    Dr Who
    Being Human
    National, Regional and local news and current affairs; and weather; and Newsnight; and Question Time
    Marr and Partridge
    Have I Got News For You
    The Apprentice
    Match of the Day
    CBBC

Ah, but are any of those mindless programs that I can watch in my grey trackies on the sofa eating an Iceland frozen miracle (inspired by one of their adverts) whilst drinking a can of run-of-the-mill lager?

Or contain Sarah Lancashire?

If not, I'm out.
    Sarah Lancashire? On the BBC?

You'd only find her in Happy Valley. And Last Tango in Halifax.

And The Paradise, Upstairs Downstairs, Lark Rise to Candleford, Inspector George Gently, Five Daughters, All The Small Things, Dr Who, Oliver Twist...

and so on and so on...
  • Chizz said:

the quality of the rugby has decreased in reverse proportion to the salaries paid: as demonstrated by the failure of home Nations teams to reach the World Cup Final.

Are you saying that Rugby has... jumped the shark?
  • Sponsored links:

• IA said:

Chizz said:

the quality of the rugby has decreased in reverse proportion to the salaries paid: as demonstrated by the failure of home Nations teams to reach the World Cup Final.

Home nations rugby is very poor by comparison to the Southern hemisphere. That's why, for example, last weekend's NZ v AU's clash was watched by a bigger attendance than any other sporting event in England this year.
  • Chizz said:

IA said:

Chizz said:

Home nations rugby is very poor by comparison to the Southern hemisphere. That's why, for example, last weekend's NZ v AU's clash was watched by a bigger attendance than any other sporting event in England this year.
    Nice to see you restricting the terms, but that's not true. The attendance was over 10% higher at the FA Cup final...
  • Chizz said:

And Luther.

And...
    The Office and Extras
    The Thick Of It
    Dr Who
    Being Human
    Marr and Partridge
    Have I Got News For You
    The Apprentice
    Match of the Day
    CBBC

Good call actually @Chizz!

I actually came in here to say that as far my license fee goes, I'm not too sure what I get out of it. Since moving I don't think I've watched anything on TV - it's all been NowTV or Netflix online through my Roku. However, you've posted quite a good list there - and now I think about it, I was watching Porridge earlier on via Gold.

That's the problem though. Little Britain must be what, 15 years old? Apart from documentaries, which the BBC abso-f*cking-lutely nails as far as I'm concerned, it does seem to be a bit stagnant.

I'm an early 90's kid, but even so - I look at my tastes for comedy and it all goes back to the BBC: but 70s and 80s BBC. Even down to the things that are currently going - HIGNFY, QI, Nevermind The Buzzcocks (is that still going?) for example, they're still old formats - albeit ones that work. In my mind that shows a lack of innovation.

The Apprentice, Strictly, The Voice, Bake Off - even they're formats that are a good 5 years or so old at this point, and pretty much stolen from the generic reality style which seems to be getting a bit tiring now, I think The Voice's audience was pretty low this time.

As I say, documentaries it does well - especially seasonal stuff like Springwatch. I just think it's lacking in creativity at times, it would be sad to see anything happen to it, but it does feel like it's a service that is forced upon you whether you want it or not - and that puts them in quite a comfortable position; it makes lack of innovation perfectly understandable!

I know they do a fair bit of radio stuff - i.e BBC World Service, weather reports for shipping etc etc I can't really comment on that, but I doubt many people could; and that's another problem - some services just aren't relevant to most people anymore. (It's arguable that those it is relevant too will find it a completely invaluable service however.)
  • I couldn't care less if I never saw another programme on BBC TV again, but I couldn't live without BBC Radio.
  • Riviera said:

I couldn't care less if I never saw another programme on BBC TV again, but I couldn't live without BBC Radio.

So you keep telling us.
  • Ahh, the old "BBC's rubbish, not that I ever watch it, listen to their radio stations or read their websites anyway..." argument has come around again.

Like pulling on a comfy pair of slippers...
  • Lincs, when you were a lad there was only the BBC and ITV to compete for these sporting events. Get with the beat man... :wink:

• LuckyReds said:

Chizz said:

And Luther.

And...
    The Office and Extras
    The Thick Of It
    Dr Who
    Being Human
    Marr and Partridge
    Have I Got News For You
    The Apprentice
    Match of the Day
    CBBC

I actually came in here to say that as far my license fee goes, I'm not too sure what I get out of it. Since moving I don't think I've watched anything on TV - it's all been NowTV or Netflix online through my Roku. However, you've posted quite a good list there - and now I think about it, I was watching Porridge earlier on via Gold.

That's the problem though. Little Britain must be what, 15 years old? Apart from documentaries, which the BBC abso-f*cking-lutely nails as far as I'm concerned, it does seem to be a bit stagnant.

I'm an early 90's kid, but even so - I look at my tastes for comedy and it all goes back to the BBC: but 70s and 80s BBC. Even down to the things that are currently going - HIGNFY, QI, Nevermind The Buzzcocks (is that still going?) for example, they're still old formats - albeit ones that work. In my mind that shows a lack of innovation.

The Apprentice, Strictly, The Voice, Bake Off - even they're formats that are a good 5 years or so old at this point, and pretty much stolen from the generic reality style which seems to be getting a bit tiring now, I think The Voice's audience was pretty low this time.

As I say, documentaries it does well - especially seasonal stuff like Springwatch. I just think it's lacking in creativity at times, it would be sad to see anything happen to it, but it does feel like it's a service that is forced upon you whether you want it or not - and that puts them in quite a comfortable position; it makes lack of innovation perfectly understandable!

I know they do a fair bit of radio stuff - i.e BBC World Service, weather reports for shipping etc etc I can't really comment on that, but I doubt many people could; and that's another problem - some services just aren't relevant to most people anymore. (It's arguable that those it is relevant too will find it a completely invaluable service however.)
    If you don't even know what is actually on the BBC at the moment, you are not really qualified to comment IMHO.

I am watching The Detectorists, River, Dr Who, Cuffs, Arne Dahl, Uni Challenge, Only Connect, and Pointless at the moment on BBC (along with the numerous documentaries). Only Lewis, Downton and Unforgotten on ITV.
  • I struggle to find time to follow drama series and watch mostly one-off programmes like sport and documentaries, but it would be a disaster if the BBC lost the public funding and was forced to live or die by ratings instead of a broad range of programmes catering for minority interests.

The wall to wall low cost reality TV served up on the commercial channels, apart from a few gems, is mostly a bag of shit, or as one filmmaker described "a museum of social decay".

The BBC provides a small hump in the road to slow down the race to the bottom in terms of programme quality and creativity. The BBC can take risks and gives those with new, unproven ideas the possibility to flourish where commercial TV can't take the risk of programmes not hitting the ground running. You can guarantee decent ratings with sensationalism and voyerism but the BBC doesn't have to be so reliant in this strategy.

Like all publicly funded services it suffers from being run by the staff in the interests of the staff because accountability is theoretical. We can live with that as long as there is a proper probe every so often so our politicians can shake up the BBC Trust and test the BBC's strategies in order to re-define its core roles and justify the budget.

Something has to exist as a counterpoint to the prospect of us drowning us in a sea of mind-numbing, but profitable, mediocrity that becomes the norm. So my main criticism is that then BBC tries to hard to compete with commercial TV in terms of material rather than being different.
  • Sharing 6 Nations with ITV is fine, as it keeps it on Terrestial TV. Apart from that bloody Paloma Faith World in Union rendition, I thought their World Cup coverage was fine, and a lot of the time the same presenters and pundits appear on all channels anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• I struggle to find time to follow drama series and watch mostly one-off programmes like sport and documentaries, but it would be a disaster if the BBC lost the public funding and was forced to live or die by ratings instead of a broad range of programmes catering for minority interests.

The wall to wall low cost reality TV served up on the commercial channels, apart from a few gems, is mostly a bag of shit, or as one filmmaker described "a museum of social decay".

The BBC provides a small hump in the road to slow down the race to the bottom in terms of programme quality and creativity. The BBC can take risks and gives those with new, unproven ideas the possibility to flourish where commercial TV can't take the risk of programmes not hitting the ground running. You can guarantee decent ratings with sensationalism and voyerism but the BBC doesn't have to be so reliant in this strategy.

Like all publicly funded services it suffers from being run by the staff in the interests of the staff because accountability is theoretical. We can live with that as long as there is a proper probe every so often so our politicians can shake up the BBC Trust and test the BBC's strategies in order to re-define its core roles and justify the budget.

Something has to exist as a counterpoint to the prospect of us drowning us in a sea of mind-numbing, but profitable, mediocrity that becomes the norm. So my main criticism is that then BBC tries to hard to compete with commercial TV in terms of material rather than being different.

terrific post .. I agree with almost all of it
  • IA said:

Chizz said:

IA said:

Chizz said:

Nice to see you restricting the terms, but that's not true. The attendance was over 10% higher at the FA Cup final...
    Did the England Wales game at Twickenham not sell out ?
  • LuckyReds said:

Chizz said:

And Luther.

And...
    The Office and Extras
    The Thick Of It
    Dr Who
    Being Human
    Marr and Partridge
    Have I Got News For You
    The Apprentice
    Match of the Day
    CBBC

If you don't even know what is actually on the BBC at the moment, you are not really qualified to comment IMHO.

I am watching The Detectorists, River, Dr Who, Cuffs, Arne Dahl, Uni Challenge, Only Connect, and Pointless at the moment on BBC (along with the numerous documentaries). Only Lewis, Downton and Unforgotten on ITV.
    But surely I am entitled to comment purely based on the fact I pay my license fee? I think that's what a lot of people are getting at.

The only reason I'm not aware is because when I do flick the Roku off I give the TV a browse and none of it appeals to me. I do keep an eye on the documentaries as mentioned.

...shame really, I was mentally ticking off the points of agreement with you. Then you got to repeating the "none of the public sector are ever accountable" nonsense.

Oh well ;-)

• PL54 said:

IA said:

Chizz said:

IA said:

Chizz said:

Twickenham has lower capacity than Wembley. The biggest attendance at the Rugby World Cup was for the clash of the titans - Ireland v Romania.
  • PL54 said:

IA said:

Chizz said:

IA said:

Chizz said:

As does every single six nations game.