Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Arsenal 2 Charlton 4

Comments

• Options
    I met up with some friends down the pub that night, including a gooner. He was still raging about the result then and his first words to me were along the lines of:
    "That was an outrageous result. Did you see the stats? We had 78% of possession. 74% of territory. 34 shots on goal to your 3*. We beat you in every department."
    My response was "but we got 67% of the goals."

(*I don't remember the exact stats, but I'm pretty sure the 3 shots on goal stat is correct. Scoring 4 goals from 3 shots is pretty impressive!)
  • Options
    Have to say one of my best ever away games. I kept texting my gooner mate Pat saying how many more are we going to score!

Followed by their old chant eie we are Charlton Super Charlton!!!!
  • Options
    Amazing away day , when my sons are old enough to bother listening I'm gonna bore them silly with memories of this day
  • Options
    Don't worry oohaah. They have got Essex cricket to cheer them up after we are relegated.
  • Options
    had been in our hotel in Melbourne for about ten minutes having landed an hour or so before after a direct flight from the UK. Was knackered but suddenly the phone rang and it was my best mate telling me the result, couldn't believe it. A week or so later we were strolling round Adelaide Cathedral and a guy, noticing my Charlton top, asked if I'd seen the game last night. What game I said? Transpires that it was an international weekend so they had shown on TV again the Arsenal game. Gutted I'd missed it again.
  • Options

Further to my comment below... I think its the first 10-minutes of the match that I remember the most, really don't understand how Arsenal weren't about 5-0 ahead and it was just Charlton block / Charlton Save one after the other.

We got a lucky equaliser and then no doubt a right fluke of a second goal... take nothing away from Charlton though, we absolutely bossed the second half, we fully deserved the two other goals and as mentioned, Arsenal never deserved their penalty and even after getting a goal back they never looked like getting another.

Remember being at College with an Arsenal fan who was a right prat... Went in that Monday and he claimed we never deserved to win because of Arsenal dominating the first 10-minutes, I went on to say that we deserved it because we scored more goals... His response: That doesn't matter, we were still the better side!!

Only a few games even rival that as an away day for me and neither are for Footballing reasons:

Yeovil (1-1): When it poured down with rain, Alex McCarthy (now Palace Goalkeeper) hitting a Goal Kick for a corner
    Carlisle (1-0): Simply up there because we won promotion after such a long journey
    Southend (2-1): Kyle Reid in the last minute to break a seven year jinx of never seeing us win away
    Liverpool (1-0): Shaun Bartlett scoring the winner @ Anfield, my last away win before that Southend win

Agreed with everything apart from that, it was a lovely whipped delivery from Konchesky and a brilliant glancing header from Stevie Brown. I'll always remember despite being 4-1 up, I couldn't stop looking at the clock. I was also at the Yeovil and Southend games and they are two which will stand out in my memory.
  • Options

Further to my comment below... I think its the first 10-minutes of the match that I remember the most, really don't understand how Arsenal weren't about 5-0 ahead and it was just Charlton block / Charlton Save one after the other.

We got a lucky equaliser and then no doubt a right fluke of a second goal... take nothing away from Charlton though, we absolutely bossed the second half, we fully deserved the two other goals and as mentioned, Arsenal never deserved their penalty and even after getting a goal back they never looked like getting another.

Remember being at College with an Arsenal fan who was a right prat... Went in that Monday and he claimed we never deserved to win because of Arsenal dominating the first 10-minutes, I went on to say that we deserved it because we scored more goals... His response: That doesn't matter, we were still the better side!!

Only a few games even rival that as an away day for me and neither are for Footballing reasons:

Yeovil (1-1): When it poured down with rain, Alex McCarthy (now Palace Goalkeeper) hitting a Goal Kick for a corner
    Carlisle (1-0): Simply up there because we won promotion after such a long journey
    Southend (2-1): Kyle Reid in the last minute to break a seven year jinx of never seeing us win away
    Liverpool (1-0): Shaun Bartlett scoring the winner @ Anfield, my last away win before that Southend win

Agreed with everything apart from that, it was a lovely whipped delivery from Konchesky and a brilliant glancing header from Stevie Brown. I'll always remember despite being 4-1 up, I couldn't stop looking at the clock. I was also at the Yeovil and Southend games and they are two which will stand out in my memory.
    To be honest my memory of our first goal was always a bit hazy yet was constantly checking the clock myself despite it being 4-1, great day which was proven even better because whenever we played Arsenal going forward they'd annihilate us almost as revenge which showed that match really did get to them
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I remember exactly where I was. Great day to be Charlton
  • Options
    All seems so far away now, just hope my Grandchildren get to see the good times return.

Will never happen with the present idiots in charge, hope the time they have left will be short.
  • Options
    It was the one and only pay per view match I ordered. Money very well spent!
  • Options
    Claus Jensen what a player, if only we could get someone as half as good as that bloke I would be happy. Absolute class player.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    And an honest pro like Steve Brown. Crunching tackle for the Euell goal, crunching tackle for SuperClive's third at Wembley!
  • Options
    Same club in name and crest only.
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

Claus Jensen what a player, if only we could get someone as half as good as that bloke I would be happy. Absolute class player.

Fired up Championship Manager 01/02 the other day, Claus Jensen - pace 20/20. I mean, he was a lot of things, but =fastest player in the world? Nope.
  • Options
    hate the bloke but that parker tackle on henry is quality
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oh, for those days back again
  • Options
    edited November 2016

And an honest pro like Steve Brown. Crunching tackle for the Euell goal, crunching tackle for SuperClive's third at Wembley!

both of those would be fouls now!

Those in charge can never take this away from us
  • Options
    There's only one Deano !
  • Options
    Parker early doors on Pires, too
  • Options
    I think the chanting of "you're shit and you know you are" was the best bit.
  • Options
    Who got motm? Should have been Brown for the number of blocks he got in. Two hour car journey home, driven by a Gooner. What stick he took!
  • Options
    Never seen us win at Arsenal - Highbury or Emirates and it grates !!!. Missed this game as I had recently got married & wife had invited her parents round for Sunday Lunch and obviously I had to be there. Consoled myself that it was on Sky & as her dad was a gooner wouldn't mind us watching it.........