Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• This could get interesting.
  • Heading translated:
    Another concern in Liège: "Investigation into fraudulent transfer Watt"
    By Standard | Voetbalkrant.com on October 28th, 2015
  • JUSTICE WOULD EXAMINE TRANSFER WATT, DUCHÂTELET RESPONDS

On the sporting side goes after a six on six slowly in the right direction, but quiet it is certainly not in Liege. If it's not the fans that provide sensation, or the directors or former directors.
    RTBF reports that Prosecutor knocked on Duchâtelet in connection with the transfer of Tony Watt to Charlton. One suspects the former chairman of fraud. Venanzi, the current president, on Wednesday said all that "after the departure of Duchâtelet some skeletons in the closet cases."
    Meanwhile Duchâtelet responded. He could not deny that Standard Tony Watt did go to Charlton. However, the Liege club had a few months earlier another 1.5 million filed for the attacker.
    Reaction Duchâtelet

The former chairman explains: "Since November the player was harshly criticized and even ridiculed by some journalists and supporters." He points out that such situations at all clubs occurrences.
    In retrospect, Watt did indeed good at Charlton. "This case is indeed remarkable because the player then began to perform well. That you can not know in advance of course ..."
  • I don't follow the literal translation. Could one of our resident Belgians give a brief translation?
  • It looks like there are alleged dodgy financials happening related to Tony Watt.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2015
    LoOkOuT said:

Didn't Katrien say Watt wasn't bought with peanuts? Turns out he was!

A word missing from the Google translation is "gratis". RD could not deny TW was transferred gratis, but Standard had laid out 1.5 million euros for him a few months previously. According to Soccerway, 1.5 million euros was the fee for TW's transfer from Celtic to Standard, 6 months before moving to Charlton.
  • edited October 2015
    Sorry, is this related to the transfer of Watt to us from Standard or the transfer of Watt to Standard from wherever he was before (Celtic?)?
  • Guilty. Lock Roland away.
  • So Watt goes from Celtic to Standard Liege for E1.5M. Then a few months later he moves to Charlton for free.
  • se9addick said:

Sorry, is this related to the transfer of Watt to us from Standard or the transfer of Watt to Standard from wherever he was before (Celtic?)?

To us. As we essentially 'stole' him from (at the time) RD's SL. But there may have been some interesting terms. This is good news in my book as we need RD to become a villain in the media's eyes, and any dodgy going ons of which this creature of a man MAY well be capable of would see him in trouble with the F&PP Test.

We'll see what comes of it... maybe this is why we have a Lawyer as a CEO.
    I'm not sure mate, sounds like a one or two window transfer ban and we desperately need reinforcements. I'd be very, very cautious about celebrating this.
  • I can't really see why it's a fraud. It's a commonplace in football for a club to pay a fee for a player and let him go on a free. I suppose that structurally, this was a case of moving an employee from one division of Staprix to another.
  • se9addick said:

se9addick said:

To us. As we essentially 'stole' him from (at the time) RD's SL. But there may have been some interesting terms. This is good news in my book as we need RD to become a villain in the media's eyes, and any dodgy going ons of which this creature of a man MAY well be capable of would see him in trouble with the F&PP Test.

I'm not sure mate, sounds like a one or two window transfer ban and we desperately need reinforcements. I'd be very, very cautious about celebrating this.
    I couldn't care less about this season if I'm honest, I really couldn't.. We may need to take two steps back to start climbing the ladder safely again. It'll start to put spanners within RD's whole empire, which is what we need.. the more barriers his sick experiment can face the better it is for us as fans.

Sad state of affairs not caring for bans but it is what it is. RD gets an easy ride and we are in trouble as fans, IMO as it's plain sailing for him to slowly sink us.
  • se9addick said:

se9addick said:

I couldn't care less about this season if I'm honest, I really couldn't.. We may need to take two steps back to start climbing the ladder safely again. It'll start to put spanners within RD's whole empire, which is what we need.. the more barriers his sick experiment can face the better it is for us as fans.

Sad state of affairs not caring for bans but it is what it is. RD gets an easy ride and we are in trouble as fans, IMO as it's plain sailing for him to slowly sink us.
    Fair enough, I'm just not sure that I'm at the point where anything that's bad for RD is good for us, it's probably more complicated than that and being implicated in transfer fraud certainly complicates things.
  • I can't really see why it's a fraud. It's a commonplace in football for a club to pay a fee for a player and let him go on a free. I suppose that structurally, this was a case of moving an employee from one division of Staprix to another.

I don't pretend to understand and the ins & outs of the network, but if we paid 1.5m for a player and then gave him to Standard for FA I'd feel a bit pissed off by it.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm more disappointed that the Loic Nego transfer didn't work out.

I agree. The Socios got in touch, asking us if we can help with any info. We replied that the fee was simply described as "undisclosed" and tried to explain why that has become a running joke.

Our friends in Liege seem to be suggesting that it's a big shock for the whole club to learn that Watt came here on a free, but it's hard to believe that only RD knew this. How could the Standard CEO and CFO not know? I thought Venanzi was the CEO, but I could be wrong. We will stay in touch with them, but I doubt this is as scurrilous as they are making out.

They are away at STVV tomorrow, BTW. That could get spiky

I agree. The Socios got in touch, asking us if we can help with any info. We replied that the fee was simply described as "undisclosed" and tried to explain why that has become a running joke.

Our friends in Liege seem to be suggesting that it's a big shock for the whole club to learn that Watt came here on a free, but it's hard to believe that only RD knew this. How could the Standard CEO and CFO not know? I thought Venanzi was the CEO, but I could be wrong. We will stay in touch with them, but I doubt this is as scurrilous as they are making out.

They are away at STVV tomorrow, BTW. That could get spiky

If the Standard CEO is anything like our CEO then it doesn't matter whether he knew or not. I wouldn't put too much truck in him looking after the best interests of the club he's working for Prague.

• edited October 2015
    Directors of companies have a duty to act in the best interests of that company.

Giving away an asset that you paid 1.5e for only a few months before might not be in the best interest of a Co.

It might just be a case of moving on a flop or sour grapes from the new owner.

Or it could be an example of some strange transfers. I wonder what we paid and received for Tucedean, Nego, Le Point etc and where the fees went?

But as the legend reminds us once you've open Pandora's box you can't close it again.
  • Henry - is this right? or was it this chap Dudu? Do you know are you guessing?