Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Charlton feeling is fading away

edited October 2015 in General Charlton
I've been trying to work our what is the main problem that our owners is causing most of us to be upset with the way the club is being run.

If you look at the average attendences last 9 years since we was relelgated from the Premier League.

Average attendence:
2015-2016 - 15,851 - so far
2014-2015 - 16.708
2013-2014 - 16.134
2012-2013 - 18.499
2011-2012 - 17.402
2010-2011 - 15.582
2009-2010 - 17.606
2008-2009 - 20.894
2007-2008 - 23.159

As you are aware between 2009-2012 was when we were in league one and our average attendence was more than it has been the past 2 seasons. Our owners need to look at this long and hard and if we get relegated I can see our attendences drop to below 15,000.

I've been going to watch Charlton as a season ticket holder for the last 21 years and for the first time I felt the Charlton feeling surrounding the club is fading away. I believe if our owners appoint a manager who can give the fans a great feeling and can produce decent results then I think we will be ok.

Comments

• edited October 2015
    They just have (appointed a manager who can give the fans a great feeling and produce decent results...)
  • edited October 2015
    Our Average Attendance this season after seven games is actually 15,177. And we've already had all of our home London derbies.
  • Chizz said:

That just have

Eh?
  • For me, The Charlton feeling is still very much alive and always will be.
  • ads said:

Chizz said:

That just have

Eh?
    It was in reply to the comment: I believe if our owners appoint a manager who can give the fans a great feeling and can produce decent results then I think we will be ok.
  • edited October 2015
    I think it will drop, and drop.. and drop.. unfortunately.

And while season ticket holders stay away it will be worse than reported.

Last Saturday was the emptiest I've seen the Valley for a weekend game for years.

• I have been going since the Selhurst Park (dark) days. Never in 27 years have I been so disinterested. I go to games now and enjoy the drive on the M20 and the pre-match pint more then the football. My dad doesn't go now. My brother has lost interest. I'm sure that my family is fairly typical.
  • Hav'nt had season ticket for three or four seasons now,prior to that had once since the back to the valley campaign started at Selhurst.

Been a regular down the valley since I was about fifteen give or take,was at the 7-6 Huddersfield,Boro 6-6 games and at the Back to the Valley clear up.

Charlton have been my only club.

Not attended this season and only twice last season,somewhat due to a couple of health problems,but to be honest not really missing it.
  • @DiscoCAFC bear in mind those League 1 years would have seen much lower away averages, so the impact now in terms of home fans is much greater as well :-(
  • Plus now you can get STs for as little as 150
  • Sponsored links:

• For a bit of perspective, it's worth comparing the average home attendance in the playoff promotion season: 13,275. So, while this season is down compared to last season, it's up in comparison to then.
  • Chizz said:

For a bit of perspective, it's worth comparing the average home attendance in the playoff promotion season: 13,275. So, while this season is down compared to last season, it's up in comparison to then.

True but then The Valley was about 16,000 capacity, so that was a decent percentage attendance wise compared to now.
  • Chizz said:

For a bit of perspective, it's worth comparing the average home attendance in the playoff promotion season: 13,275. So, while this season is down compared to last season, it's up in comparison to then.

I think we have attracted a lot of fans during the Premier League years
  • edited October 2015
    It's nothing new.

After relegation from old 1st Division (thanks to Colin Cameron's brilliant history book);

1956/57 1st Div - 20,370
    1957/58 2nd Div - 22,249
    1958/59 2nd Div - 16,806
    1959/60 2nd Div - 15,686
    1960/61 2nd Div - 11,102
    1961/62 2nd Div - 14,211
    1962/63 2nd Div - 13,420
    1963/64 2nd Div - 18,283
    1964/65 2nd Div - 13,065
    1965/66 2nd Div - 12,271

The trend was very similar, even back then.

The Premier League attracts fans who only want to watch Premier League football. Quite a few stay on after relegation for a couple of seasons and then get bored and stop going so much (they probably still go a bit but not enough to stop the average declining). After several seasons of non-top league football, then you get back to your hardcore support. I still think our real hardcore support is nearer 8,000 than 20,043 or 27,111.

As regards this season, it can't be argued that our HOME support won't be down because it will. But the London derby thing is only slightly relevant, as Fulham (who never sell-out anyway) was on Sunday lunchtime TV.

Still to come with big away followings; Middlesbrough, Brighton, Sheff Wed, Leeds and sizeable followings from Ipswich, Wolves, Forest, Derby, Reading, Bristol City and Cardiff. And if any of the "sizeables" are at the top of the league, then they will probably sell-out.

With utmost respect to the following clubs (because we are much the same), so far we've also played Huddersfield (Tue night), Preston (Tue night) and Rotherham, so there hasn't been much away support there.

Relegation would obviously have a massive effect on attendances, not least because there are few big away followings in Div 1. But it's only really promotion to the Premier League that will mean a big up-turn in attendances in the home areas.