Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    Would of thought he'd get at least 2 more years. RD out!
  • Options
    Is that Shakin' Stevens' new name after converting to Islam?
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Who did he play for and how tall?

Depends if the yanks put him on a rack.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As he isn't a British national, was picked up in Afghanistan and incarcerated in an American facility I'm assuming you don't mean that he should be recompensed by the British state, it would be a joke if he was.
  • Options

As he isn't a British national, was picked up in Afghanistan and incarcerated in an American facility I'm assuming you don't mean that he should be recompensed by the British state, it would be a joke if he was.

The British Government was complicit with his incarceration and in his interrogations and I doubt they asked him just to make a statement.

I realise that some bad things sometimes need to be done but it doesn't make them right and where a person is locked away, tortured and deprived of what you and I consider to be a right then something should be done to recompense yes.

Surely if there's a case For compensation he's free to pursue through the American courts?
  • Options

Who cares?

He probably does.
    His wife probably does.
    His fourteen year old son, who has never seen his father, probably does.

Oh, and British taxpayers probably care as well, too.
  • Options

The British Government was complicit with his incarceration and in his interrogations and I doubt they asked him just to make a statement.

I realise that some bad things sometimes need to be done but it doesn't make them right and where a person is locked away, tortured and deprived of what you and I consider to be a right then something should be done to recompense yes.

Surely if there's a case For compensation he's free to pursue through the American courts?
    You'd hope so. But I bet they pull out the well-he-wasn't-incarcerated-on-US-soil card...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2015

British 'resident', Saudi national .. why is he coming back to Britain on a private jet and why should Britain pay him a huge amount in damages ? .. essentially he was a prisoner of war of the USA whose family has presumably been kept at the expense of the UK taxpayer during his incarceration. Good luck to him on his release, but he should be shipped back to Saudi where he will surely be more at home along with his devout muslim brothers

And not his wife and family. Right then.

This post (edit: and others like it) is so far away from my own thoughts on the matter that there is no point trying to engage with many of you on it - suffice it to say that I feel justice has been served far, far too late for a man who has been held without charge for two-thirds of the time I've been alive. If you disagree with that, then fine.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Anyone who thinks that the detention of a man, without charge or trial, for 13 years is anything other than an absolute disgrace doesn't understand British culture.

Absolutely furious that I can only "like" this post once.
  • Options

Chizz said:

You'd hope so. But I bet they pull out the well-he-wasn't-incarcerated-on-US-soil card...
    Indeed. US Federal law does not extend to Guantanamo in Cuba.

As for those who do not care that an innocent man has been locked up without charge then I feel sorry for you.

Well the world changed on 9/11 and if it's the case that occasionally an innocent person (if that's the case) happens to get locked up in order to prevent another 4000 innocent souls losing their lives, then so be it.
    One way to avoid this happening is to lead an honest life, stay clear of war zones, (or work only though a legitimate agency) and don't associate with people like Osama Bin Laden. I'm not saying he was guilty of these things, but normal people such as me, would never find myself in such a situation. We live in dangerous times and need to focus on protecting the majority.
    As an aside, there was a great interview on TV here last night. I thought Maajid Nawaz (a reformed Muslim extremist from Southend) was excellent. For anyone interested :

http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/content/2015/s4341076.htm

• Options

Chizz said:

As for those who do not care that an innocent man has been locked up without charge then I feel sorry for you.

Well the world changed on 9/11 and if it's the case that occasionally an innocent person (if that's the case) happens to get locked up in order to prevent another 4000 innocent souls losing their lives, then so be it.
    One way to avoid this happening is to lead an honest life, stay clear of war zones, (or work only though a legitimate agency) and don't associate with people like Osama Bin Laden. I'm not saying he was guilty of these things, but normal people such as me, would never find myself in such a situation. We live in dangerous times and need to focus on protecting the majority.
    As an aside, there was a great interview on TV here last night. I thought Maajid Nawaz (a reformed Muslim extremist from Southend) was excellent. For anyone interested :

"normal people" - we know what you mean :wink:
  • Options
    That's great news, might sleep now!
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Chizz said:

So, just to get the record straight, are you saying that, unless you live in the way that *you* decide is appropriate (ie what you decide "normal people" do), then it's ok to be kidnapped, interrogated, tortured and incarcerated for 14 years? And when that happens to someone who is innocent (and yes, that *is* the case) then, well, "so be it"?
    No, I'm saying that in war, collateral damage happens, many innocents lose their lives, sometimes someone gets unjustly imprisoned. Simple solution, either keep out of it, or work through a reputable organisation such as the Red Cross and leave the family behind or send them home if the situation becomes dangerous where you are working. BTW how can you assert that he *is* innocent? Unless you followed his every move in Afghanistan, you cannot know for certain. But I do agree that you cannot keep someone locked up without sufficient evidence.
  • Options

yes and the last "Brit" released was paid £1million of our tax money and then promptly fecked off to join ISIS.

and i defo dont give a rats shit about this guy

If he's guilty why not stick him in front of a jury. It's how civilised countries behave. The right to a fair trial is a principle we should treasure. Throw it away at your peril.
    Civilised countries? Do you think members of the Taliban or ISIS give a sh*t about our judicial system. This is war we're talking about, not shoplifting. Perhaps we could put a member of ISIS in the dock then sew the victims heads back on and get them to come to court to testify against the alleged offender!