Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• Solidgone said:
    What happened to Hamilton?
    Had to have a damaged front wing replaced and both Mercedes struggled with overheating issues. 
    Bung went in to try and make it more interesting. Seems to have worked.
  • Must admit......... it all looked a bit sussy.
  • Great race but I agree with Leclerc, he should have been left more room on the outside. They were literally wheel to wheel so Verstappen can’t really claim to be clearly in front. As exciting as the pass was, it was just as exciting on the previous lap where the fight continued to the next corner and Leclerc was able to fend Verstappen off. I suspect Verstappen was going to get him in the end, but I think in many ways it was worse than what happened in Canada because there was no doubt Verstappen was fully in control of where his car was on the track.

I wonder to what extent the sea of orange in the grandstands helped persuade the stewards. 
  • I think it was a close call. In a way the fuss Ferrari made which seemed to be backed up by opinion to 'Let them race', may have influenced the ultimate decision. Hamilton will be happy enough - he had all sorts of issues not of his making and he will see it as a 5th place that adds useful points to his tally. That is what experienced champions do.
  • Silverstone have signed a 5 year deal for the British GP. Not a great surprise after a lot of posturing from both sides.
  • Silverstone have signed a 5 year deal for the British GP. Not a great surprise after a lot of posturing from both sides.
    It feels the same every renewal though... We seem to always go through the motions of a British GP being under threat before it gets resolved
  • edited July 2019
    For me, F1 has to have a British Grand Prix, A french one, an Italian one and a German one. If it loses one or more of these it will eventually become weaker.
  • For me, F1 has to have a British Grand Prix, A french one, an Italian one and a German one. If it loses one or more of these it will eventually become weaker.
    Agreed! I'd add Brazilian in there as well. 
  • Australian too... a Grand Prix season that doesnt start Down Under is just plain wrong
  • One down, 2 spaces left on the calendar next year with Germany, Spain, Italy and Mexico still not confirmed. 
  • Sponsored links:

• sam3110 said:
    One down, 2 spaces left on the calendar next year with Germany, Spain, Italy and Mexico still not confirmed. 
    Ouch!!... Only one I'd leave off is Mexico
  • Dare I say Monte Carlo!
  • sam3110 said:
    One down, 2 spaces left on the calendar next year with Germany, Spain, Italy and Mexico still not confirmed. 
    The Italian Grand Prix has been confirmed until 2024.
    Spain almost certain to go and I would guess, Mexico. 
  • Dare I say Monte Carlo!
    The only way Monte Carlo would be a good race is if they weren’t allowed to use that season’s cars, and instead had to drive 1960s versions. Or Mini Coopers. Imagine how much fun that would be!  
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    Dare I say Monte Carlo!
    The only way Monte Carlo would be a good race is if they weren’t allowed to use that season’s cars, and instead had to drive 1960s versions. Or Mini Coopers. Imagine how much fun that would be!  
    It’s always a dreadful spectacle but there’s no way it’ll ever be dropped as it is a massive party for everyone in the F1 Paddock. 

Ted Kravits was saying on Sky yesterday that it’s Spain and Germany likely to be dropped. Spain no great loss in my opinion, Barcelona has tended to provide poor races over the years. The recent races at Mexico have been decent. 
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    Dare I say Monte Carlo!
    Monaco would be great if they knocked a few buildings down and created a couple of genuine overtaking opportunities!
  • Hamilton takes his sixth British GP win, is 100 (!) points clear of Vettel and even manages to pull out the fastest lap of the race on the final lap with worn tyres. Genuinely think he's the best F1 driver ever. A few years ago I couldn't see anyone surpassing Schumacher's various records. Hamilton looks like he's going to cruise past them.
  • He was faultless yesterday. 
  • Hamilton is a brilliant driver in a pretty crap sport.
  • Sponsored links:

• The man's a British motor sporting legend, quite why some people cant take to him or journo's asking ridiculous questions of his Britishness is pathetic, I have no doubt he will surpass Schumacher's records. It's not a sport I care pasionately about but he is head and shoulders above all currently and deserved of his surely impending knighthood. 
    You can admire someone but not necessarily warm to them. I've never met him so judging him solely on his driving he is Britain's greatest driver.
  • I keep opening this thread thinking it's about the musical.
  • Amazing drive at the end of the race, fastest lap on the hard tyres which were at least 30 laps old.
  • Chunes said:
    I keep opening this thread thinking it's about the musical.
    You keep doing it????
  • edited July 2019
    Watched a recording of the race due to the cricket. It was a very good one. Bottas was a bit unlucky yesterday, but Hamilton has to be appreciated for what he is - a Racing legend. Or at least he will be when he retires. It feels like this might be Vettel's last season at Ferrari. Too many mistakes and LeClerc as good. They will now be looking for better. Verstappen and Hamilton will be on their list.
  • Watched a recording of the race due to the cricket. It was a very good one. Bottas was a bit unlucky yesterday, but Hamilton has to be appreciated for what he is - a Racing legend. Or at least he will be when he retires. It feels like this might be Vettel's last season at Ferrari. Too many mistakes and LeClerc as good. They will now be looking for better. Verstappen and Hamilton will be on their list.
    I must say I have been most surprised at Vettel’s standards so far this season....mistake after mistake.
    I agree he’s likely to move on from Ferrari unless he starts to pull up a few trees .
  • Watched a recording of the race due to the cricket. It was a very good one. Bottas was a bit unlucky yesterday, but Hamilton has to be appreciated for what he is - a Racing legend. Or at least he will be when he retires. It feels like this might be Vettel's last season at Ferrari. Too many mistakes and LeClerc as good. They will now be looking for better. Verstappen and Hamilton will be on their list.

I agree, it looks like Leclerc is becoming the number 1 driver in that team even though the team make a mess of racing frequently.

I too recorded the racing and I had the foresight to tell my wife to visit her mum on Sunday. I had a fantastic day of sport with only myself and the TV to talk to.

• Another belting race yesterday. Three races later, the snore fest that was the French Grand Prix seems a long time ago.

Not the result a Hamilton fan would’ve hoped for, but Mercedes showing that are fallible is good for the sport. Not Verstappen’s biggest fan but respect for that drive. He is very good in the wet.

Ferrari still error prone but refinding their speed. Red Bull looking strong and making good strategy calls, and Merc still very quick. Should be a good second half to the season. 
  • Oh, and said it at the time, but McLarens scapegoating and eventual ditching of the Honda engine is looking silly now. 
  • edited July 2019
    Although I doubt they would be able to put together the package Red Bull have. Remember Red Bull won races with the Renault engine last season.

As for yesterday - when you are in front you hate conditions like that. You have all the other teams taking punts and risks which is difficult to do when you are in front. But being conservative is usually not the way. Having said that, you would think a team like Mercedes would have protocols for unsheduled pit stops e.g. A front wing always ready - Having a tyre choice that changes lap by lap so they know what to put on. Maybe because they were celebrating the past with their uniforms, they decided to adopt an amateur approach to these things.

Entertaining race though. Just stayed the right side of farce.