Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• Options
    Chose the wrong words and come out and apologised. Haven’t we all done that before (apart from the pc, always offended snowflakes 😂)
  • Options
    what I find most offensive is that jacket!

• Options

Chose the wrong words and come out and apologised. Haven’t we all done that before (apart from the pc, always offended snowflakes 😂)

He clarified his use of the word slums in his next sentence and has apologised since for any offence caused.
    I think that that he was referring to slums in relative terms compared to 99.9% of the backgrounds of F1 drivers. Not too many come from council house backgrounds.
  • Options

what I find most offensive is that jacket!

Think it looks great.

• Options

I suspect that those “offended” aren’t necessarily pc snowflakes at all.
    I suspect it’s mock offence, voiced by opportunist journalists in the hope that joe public will hook on to a bandwagon of offence and turn it into an actual story of note.
    I also suspect that they rely, in this case, on people who inexplicably hate Lewis Hamilton to hook on to this particular bandwagon as they do to any bandwagon that paints Hamilton in a negative light.
    And as planned, it got enough coverage to cause some people to consider it a story.

As I say, just a suspicion on my part... :smiley:
  • Options

I suspect that those “offended” aren’t necessarily pc snowflakes at all.
    I suspect it’s mock offence, voiced by opportunist journalists in the hope that joe public will hook on to a bandwagon of offence and turn it into an actual story of note.
    I also suspect that they rely, in this case, on people who inexplicably hate Lewis Hamilton to hook on to this particular bandwagon as they do to any bandwagon that paints Hamilton in a negative light.
    And as planned, it got enough coverage to cause some people to consider it a story.

As I say, just a suspicion on my part... :smiley:
    Nailed it. Click bait, fake news etc etc.

Wish people like Hamilton would call these fuckers out and refuse to apologise. This particular incident is a fairly non story which ever way you cut it, but this general climate where everyone is running scared of public outcry is seriously stifling debate of more serious issues.
  • Options
    Whilst I feel a little sorry for Chas Leclerc, it does make my Sunday to see a sick Ferrari. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yep, torn emotions. 

Funny because it was Ferrari/shame for Leclerc. 

Touch for Hamilton - one of the most underappreciated British sportsmen with Ronnie O'Sullivan IMO.
  • Options
    Yep, torn emotions. 

Touch for Hamilton - one of the most underappreciated British sportsmen with Ronnie O'Sullivan IMO.
    Unappreciated..........really?
  • Options
    Yep, torn emotions. 

Yeah, I think so. 

5 world titles is absolutely insane. 

Just feel he deserves a bit more recognition for his achievements. 

I didn't say unappreciated btw, but underappreciated. He obviously gets plaudits but think he deserves more. That may be more indicative of the stale nature of F1 these days, I concede.
  • Options
    Yep, torn emotions. 

Yeah, I think so. 

5 world titles is absolutely insane. 

Just feel he deserves a bit more recognition for his achievements. 

I didn't say unappreciated btw, but underappreciated. He obviously gets plaudits but think he deserves more. That may be more indicative of the stale nature of F1 these days, I concede.
    I don’t like him but he’s clearly superb - fair play to him. He should have won far more spotys 
  • Options
    For what he has achieved he should have received a knighthood already. 
  • Options
    Watched the Grand Prix (Liverpool game on iPad) on telly with my odd son out who doesn’t like football/cricket(weirdo) it wasn’t as bad as I thought it’d be .
    not watched a Grand Prix for 20 years , the tv coverage is brilliant compared to back then and FairPlay to Hamilton , classy words said by him after the race.
    i have zero interest in cars/motorsport but he’s mad for it and I’m taking him to the Canadian Grand Prix in June .
  • Options
    Watched live on an app on Firestick my brother sorted out.  Fed up with no live F1 this year unless you have Sky and I don’t and won’t.  Lucky win but Hamilton was always there waiting.  Not a Ferrari fan but would’ve like to see LeClerc win it.
  • Options
    Yep, torn emotions. 

Being the best at snooker is world’s tallest midget territory for me. 
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Yep, torn emotions. 

Funny post I admit, but can't agree. 

Snooker is one of the hardest sports there is. 147... absolute joke. Complete respect for the guys on tour. Ronnie however is a freak of nature in the Messi/Ronaldo/Federer/Kohli mould.
  • Options
    Watched the Grand Prix (Liverpool game on iPad) on telly with my odd son out who doesn’t like football/cricket(weirdo) it wasn’t as bad as I thought it’d be .
    not watched a Grand Prix for 20 years , the tv coverage is brilliant compared to back then and FairPlay to Hamilton , classy words said by him after the race.
    i have zero interest in cars/motorsport but he’s mad for it and I’m taking him to the Canadian Grand Prix in June .
    😂😂😂

Can always rely on a funny but derogatory one liner from oohahh about one of his Sons!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Some how won his first race of the season today @ Bahrain but showed his absolute class with his radio communication to his team whilst on his victory lap by expressing his disappointment for Leclerc who was clearly going to win himself until he had an engine problem - Certainly see the youngster from Monaco causing problems for Ferrari | Vettel | Hamilton this season!!

Yes it was a class response.

Also hilarious to see Vettel shit the bed in wheel to wheel combat with Lewis.

Yet again.
    I don’t know if their is a sportsman anywhere whose career achievements are so mismatched to his actual level of talent. I’m not saying he has zero talent, but genuine 4 world title class he most certainly is not.

Vettel was in the right car at the right time during that blown diffuser era at Red Bull, and was very lucky to have a fairly average driver for a teammate in Mark Webber.  

As as soon as Danny Ric showed up at Red Bull Vettel was getting shown up. He dominated Kimi at Ferrari, but Kimi has been even more average than Webber was since coming back from Rallying. 

I fully expect LeClerc is going to show him up in just the same way that Ricciardo did. I’d say Vettel is probably the 5th fastest driver on the grid, at best. He’s increasingly hot headed and cracking whenever he’s put under any pressure too. 
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Yep, torn emotions. 

Snooker is one of the hardest sports there is. 147... absolute joke. Complete respect for the guys on tour. Ronnie however is a freak of nature in the Messi/Ronaldo/Federer/Kohli mould.
    Yeah a 147 is impressive, but so is Derren Brown’s live show but that doesn’t make him a sportsman. 

Its hard to to define precisely what a sport is, but to me, if you can smoke and drink while you’re playing, which snooker players literally did for many years.... well it’s not really a sport. I don’t dare question anybody enjoying watching the game, I just don’t think Ronnie is a sporting hero. Comparing him to Messi is hilarious to me. 
  • Options
    Some how won his first race of the season today @ Bahrain but showed his absolute class with his radio communication to his team whilst on his victory lap by expressing his disappointment for Leclerc who was clearly going to win himself until he had an engine problem - Certainly see the youngster from Monaco causing problems for Ferrari | Vettel | Hamilton this season!!

Yet again.
    I don’t know if their is a sportsman anywhere whose career achievements are so mismatched to his actual level of talent. I’m not saying he has zero talent, but genuine 4 world title class he most certainly is not.

Vettel was in the right car at the right time during that blown diffuser era at Red Bull, and was very lucky to have a fairly average driver for a teammate in Mark Webber.  

As as soon as Danny Ric showed up at Red Bull Vettel was getting shown up. He dominated Kimi at Ferrari, but Kimi has been even more average than Webber was since coming back from Rallying. 

I fully expect LeClerc is going to show him up in just the same way that Ricciardo did. I’d say Vettel is probably the 5th fastest driver on the grid, at best. He’s increasingly hot headed and cracking whenever he’s put under any pressure too. 

Yet again.

In the right car Vettel is one of the fastest. His biggest weakness is that he doesn't have the race craft of Hamilton, but he shouldn't be put down as much as some are doing. I think Hamilton views him as a bigger threat this season and his shoes, so would I.
  • Options

Yet again.

Yet again.

In the right car Vettel is one of the fastest. His biggest weakness is that he doesn't have the race craft of Hamilton, but he shouldn't be put down as much as some are doing. I think Hamilton views him as a bigger threat this season and his shoes, so would I.
    Vettel was so reliable when he was in the fastest car. He didn't make mistakes, and he has had races that showed he is a hell of a driver (coming back from last place and so on). 

After he won his last title, he seemed to be quite laid back and I grew to like him more. He was gracious in defeat (I guess he knew he'd had some good times and perhaps they'd come back again). But he's increasingly getting frazzled and losing his cool in crucial moments. This weekend he and Hamilton were running at similar speed, which hasn't happened too often, and what happened to Vettel was quite revealing. 
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Yep, torn emotions. 

Yeah a 147 is impressive, but so is Derren Brown’s live show but that doesn’t make him a sportsman. 

Its hard to to define precisely what a sport is, but to me, if you can smoke and drink while you’re playing, which snooker players literally did for many years.... well it’s not really a sport. I don’t dare question anybody enjoying watching the game, I just don’t think Ronnie is a sporting hero. Comparing him to Messi is hilarious to me. 
    Totally get where you're coming from, although I'd put sitting in a car in the same bracket.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Yep, torn emotions. 

Totally get where you're coming from, although I'd put sitting in a car in the same bracket.
    I guess that's why it's 'motor sport' - it's a sub-genre of sport. I'd put snooker and darts into the 'pub games' category. 

I could spend the next ten years practicing darts or snooker every day, and by the time I am 50, I suspect I would be pretty decent and capable of giving some pro players a decent game. 

But if I spent that time learning to drive around a racetrack or kicking a football, I absolutely wouldn't be able to play even close to professional level, let alone like Messi, or indeed handle an F1 car which is an insanely hard thing to drive. Not to mention physically exhausting. 
  • Options
    I watched the whole thing yesterday for the first time in a very long time. Leclerc had me excited and I hope becomes a real rival to Lewis. F1 needs overtaking to be exciting and also needs to bin Monaco which is a cure for insomnia. Leclerc had all of us at work talking about the grand prix today and I cannot remember the last time that happened. 

Lewis Hamilton is a winner no 2 ways about that and I'm proud of him as a Briton
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    JiMMy 85 said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Yep, torn emotions. 

I guess that's why it's 'motor sport' - it's a sub-genre of sport. I'd put snooker and darts into the 'pub games' category. 

I could spend the next ten years practicing darts or snooker every day, and by the time I am 50, I suspect I would be pretty decent and capable of giving some pro players a decent game. 

But if I spent that time learning to drive around a racetrack or kicking a football, I absolutely wouldn't be able to play even close to professional level, let alone like Messi, or indeed handle an F1 car which is an insanely hard thing to drive. Not to mention physically exhausting. 
    Thing is SofK, those guys are super fit and are working out everyday to strict regimes with their own personal fitness trainers.
    Make no mistake, being slung around in an F1 car is very very strenuous, the average man in the street would be shattered after an hour and a half of such treatment.
  • Options
    I'm not disputing their talent, dedication or fitness, nor am I suggesting for one second I could last 5mins in their place.