Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• Its even more ironic the fact that Verstappen probably caused a few issues for those going for a race win whilst he was at Toro Rosso so is now just getting a very strong dose of medicene... His punishment is pathetic
  • edited November 2018
    The important thing for Verstappen is to learn from it. But that is something I'm not sure he did yesterday. Maybe the 30 year old Verstappen will get it! As Hamilton told him, 'you had more to lose'!

The truth of the matter is, it doesn't matter if Okon was right or wrong - but what highlights Verstappen's stupidity is that Okon did have a defence.
  • I thought it was a bit rich the nonsense coming from Verstappen. Its not like he has not ruined others chances in the not to distant past.
    He could of may be should of let Ocon have his moment of glory and then retaken him, if it really meant that much to him, when he had DRS on the start finish straight.
    Probably in a day or so he'll stop blaming others for his own lack of judgement and learn from this.
  • edited November 2018
    It isn't just about being quick. Which driver has made the fewest mistakes this season? The clue is in the thread title!
  • Those mistakes could be the difference between Verstappen winning or losing a world title in the future. Those around him should stop licking his backside and tell him Lewis was right.
  • Verstappen's problem is that he never thinks that he is in the wrong.
    As far as yesterday is concerned he may have acted differently on the track if it was anybody but Ocon (though I doubt it) . Their "previous" in the junior formulas may have clouded his judgement. From some of the things that he has said from the cockpit he strikes me as someone who likes to belittle other drivers.
    He needs to learn that it takes more than being fast to become a world champion.
    As far as yesterday is concerned he may have acted differently on the track if it was anybody but Ocon (though I doubt it) . Their "previous" in the junior formulas may have clouded his judgement. From some of the things that he has said from the cockpit he strikes me as someone who likes to belittle other drivers.
    He needs to learn that it takes more than being fast to become a world champion.

And interestingly, Ocon beat him to the F3 championship.

Clearly still smarts with Max.

@Exiled_Addick has probably got it spot on by saying about how they're bred at Red Bull with this type of attitude, i.e. Horner should be pulling Verstappen aside purely for his behaviour in the aftermath but wont

Makes you think that both Verstappen and Vettel will be no different next year and makes you wonder if Charles Leclerc could potentially be the main contendor to Hamilton provided he's not stuck under team orders to help Vettel

@Exiled_Addick has probably got it spot on by saying about how they're bred at Red Bull with this type of attitude, i.e. Horner should be pulling Verstappen aside purely for his behaviour in the aftermath but wont

Makes you think that both Verstappen and Vettel will be no different next year and makes you wonder if Charles Leclerc could potentially be the main contendor to Hamilton provided he's not stuck under team orders to help Vettel
    Can't imagine Vettel will accept anything other than the #1 driver spot.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think Ferrari may have some question marks next to Vettel. They know that they had the superior car in most races when you tot everything up and
    TelMc32 said:

My business had Clive Woodward speak for us at a client conference last week and he spoke about Hamilton as part of the session. Essentially, he was highlighting the attributes of the very best people that he had worked with*, from the likes of Johnny Wilkinson and a number of the England rugby world cup winning side, the British Olympic team at 2012 and then from time that he spent at McLaren at their invitation.

He spoke of people who are sponges and those who are rocks. The sponges are open to all ideas and advice, they get massively involved and want to learn from everyone around them and, very importantly, at all levels. They don't make anyone feel as though they are not valuable contributors to this evolution/learning.

Woodward's view is that Hamilton is one of the best "sponges" he has ever known. He is involved in everything for McLaren and he makes everyone feel special about their contribution. He is always there, looking to learn from the engineers, designers, Bottas, everyone and wanting to understand what more he can do to improve things and feeding everything back that he can.

You only have to see the plaudits that Hamilton gives to the whole team every time he races and the way in which they all celebrated with him yesterday to see how much they all appreciate him. Anyone that doesn't appreciate that is missing a trick somewhere. Brilliant driver and definitely a decent bloke.

* Funnily enough, Woodward didn't mention his time at Southampton!!! :wink:

It is a good point though. you can see that he pushes the team as well as supporting it. I think Vettel does this too though to be fair. I think Ferrari know that they should have done much better this year with the car they had and are so desperate to win, if Leclerc looks faster than Vettel, he will be in a strong position - the ball will be in his court to a degree.

• I’m fully expecting a repeat of the situation at Red Bull when young buck Danny Riciardo showed up and fairly comprehensively out drove Vettel at ‘his team’. Or when Hamilton showed up and matched Alonso at McClaren in his rookie year.

Vettel is a very good driver but his status in the history of the sport is massively skewed by those years at Red Bull when they had such an incredibly dominant car and his teammate Webber was a clear step below in class. I know you could make the same argument with Lewis but I think a) Hamilton has been able to be much more competitive when his car was not the class of the pack, and b) in the years when Merc were untouchable Rosberg provided stuffer competition to Lewis than Webber did to Vettel. In fact I’d say Rosberg was close to Vettel’s own level.

Leclerc looks the real deal to me and Vettel, in my opinion, is probably only the 4th fastest driver out of the guys currently at the top 3 teams and looks vulnerable. I think he could be in for a rude shock next season because LeClerc will be much racier than Kimi and if Vettel doesn’t get on top of him early he’s not above throwing his toys out of the pram.
  • I’m fully expecting a repeat of the situation at Red Bull when young buck Danny Riciardo showed up and fairly comprehensively out drove Vettel at ‘his team’. Or when Hamilton showed up and matched Alonso at McClaren in his rookie year.

Vettel is a very good driver but his status in the history of the sport is massively skewed by those years at Red Bull when they had such an incredibly dominant car and his teammate Webber was a clear step below in class. I know you could make the same argument with Lewis but I think a) Hamilton has been able to be much more competitive when his car was not the class of the pack, and b) in the years when Merc were untouchable Rosberg provided stuffer competition to Lewis than Webber did to Vettel. In fact I’d say Rosberg was close to Vettel’s own level.

Leclerc looks the real deal to me and Vettel, in my opinion, is probably only the 4th fastest driver out of the guys currently at the top 3 teams and looks vulnerable. I think he could be in for a rude shock next season because LeClerc will be much racier than Kimi and if Vettel doesn’t get on top of him early he’s not above throwing his toys out of the pram.

Do you think Ferrari will care as well if Leclerc is doing better than Vettel... i.e. they're the sort of team that will back the fastest driver rather than the actual man

Vettel on the other hand (especially as with Webber at Red Bull) was always treated like the golden child almost and was backed if he asked to be
  • He has won four World titles - it earns you some respect.
  • I don't think that attitude is bred into the young drivers at Red Bull but I do think that both drivers have been given preferential treatment by Red Bull, which has led to the attitudes developing the way they have.
    I think that the preferential treatment is the real reason why Daniel Ricciardo is moving.

With regard to Leclerc, he does look really good. Performing week in week out in a high profile car will be a big ask though. He might just be up to it.
  • edited November 2018
    He might, but Bottas looked good at Williams and he has struggled against Hamilton in reality. Mind you, If I was a team leader, I wouldn't want both my drivers taking too many points off each other. I think as it stands, Hamilton and Bottas is a good pairing.
  • Bottas is perfect for Lewis and Mercedes.
    Next year could be his last at Mercedes though, with Ocon waiting in the wings.
    As good as Bottas is/was he never showed the level of talent at Williams that Leclerc has shown at Sauber.
  • Bottas is perfect for Lewis and Mercedes.
    Next year could be his last at Mercedes though, with Ocon waiting in the wings.
    As good as Bottas is/was he never showed the level of talent at Williams that Leclerc has shown at Sauber.

Agreed. Bottas was faster than an ageing Massa and initially appeared a bit faster than he is because that Merc engine in the Williams was so much better than the Ferrari, Renault and Honda engines. He’s a good driver but not a serious challenge for the very top guys, I think someone like Perez, for example, is just as good if not better.

Leclerc has been, relatively, smashing it in the Sauber which is has the limited ambition right now of not being the slowest car on the grid. He’s been far more impressive than Bottas was at Williams. More like a Vettel or Verstappen at Torro Rosso. I think he’ll be very quick and quickly at Ferrari, and to answer the question above - Ferrari will ditch Vettel in a heartbeat if they think LeClerc gives them a better chance of winning. I do t think any driver could every try to be bigger than Ferrari.

• Excellent to see Robert Kubica making his comeback in Formula One next year having signed for Williams!!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/46300009
  • Sponsored links:

• I've heard good reviews but haven't been to see it yet.
  • I've heard good reviews but haven't been to see it yet.

Are you sure you've posted on the right thread @The Red Robin
  • Another good one today!
    11 wins this season and another WDC to make 5 in all!
    What a champ!
  • Another good one today!
    11 wins this season and another WDC to make 5 in all!
    What a champ!

Pissed it again, legend.
  • With Alonso retiring, there’s a good four part article on the bbc sport website about him and his career.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/46318167
  • edited December 2018
    I note Hamilton has apologised for his words re Stevenage 'It’s been a really long journey, a dream for us all, as a family, to do something different, to get out of the slums.'

Easy slip for him to make though - it's just a shame we can't all have driving jobs on 40 million pounds a year. :smile:
  • Hamilton made to think as though he should apologise for being honest and risking offending professional offence takers.

99.9% of those living in Stevenage either wouldn't give a sh*t about the comment or would largely agree.

Complete non-story.
  • As I have said before.....I support the local lad Lewisham Ilton.
  • Agree - non story - He actually comes from a place called Tewin, just outside Stevenage which is a nice place. I live near Stevenage myself:) I think he was talking financially.