Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• There are approx 20 drivers in F1 and the majority are not driving competitive cars - however good Hamilton is given how limited access is to this 'sport' you can't really compare him to sportsmen in traditional sports.
  • What is it that's giving ppl a bad impression of him?

I'm not one to trawl the press or the internet to dig stuff up on people - but apart from the F1 footage - I really don't recall seeing too much about him in the public eye at all?!?
  • I don't follow F1 but he comes across as a throughly decent, thoughtful guy to me, doesn't seem particularly interested in the shallow "celeb" side of fame either.

I'm not one to trawl the press or the internet to dig stuff up on people - but apart from the F1 footage - I really don't recall seeing too much about him in the public eye at all?!?

he's a vegan...

he's a vegan...
    I take it all back. What a scumbag!!!
  • edited September 2018

There are approx 20 drivers in F1 and the majority are not driving competitive cars - however good Hamilton is given how limited access is to this 'sport' you can't really compare him to sportsmen in traditional sports.

The 20 drivers in F1 are, essentially, the top 20 ranked 'players' or 'competitors' in the Formula series. Very much like the top 20 in any other sport, except that those top 20 change at the end of the season as opposed to throughout the season, based on individual races/results.

It works like the football pyramid so it's not really fair to say it's not comparable.

There's more than 1700 ranked tennis players (that's as far as I got down the ATP rankings before giving up). How many of them have adequate facilities and/or opportunities that would allow them to be competitive? The same could be said for developing footballers in that the those that have benefitted from excellent facilities will have a better chance of 'making it' than those that don't.
  • He was fortunate he had a supportive father and he lived near the Rye house karting track, but the natural talent is all his. Motorsport is not as accessible as other sports and money helps, as it does in tennis. Generally, the best teams get the best drivers - I wonder why! I can only judge him as a racing driver and he is one of the best of all time. It is easy to argue that as many of his rivals say so and you have to respect them.

It is difficult to compare drivers and racing changes. It's a bit like football in that respect. In the modern era, the most gifted drivers have to be Senna, Schumacher and Hamilton. I think winning the title this year, will be important in terms of elevating Hamilton even further. And there are lots of talented drivers just underneath those three that pushed or are pushing them all the way. I suspect Rosberg appreciates that the one world championship he gained racing against Hamilton is probably more valuable prestige wise than winning three in easier circumstances!
  • He’s won it (again). It’s Academical.

Given that he wasn't exactly born into a family with great riches and that family had more than its share of problems, also add the focus he and his family have had to become the best, I would say we should be holding him up as an example to the nation. But we do love to knock our talent in this country. When he finally retires in hopefully many years time, maybe people will appreciate how good he is when there is no other Brit to stand on the winners step week in week out.
    This country has produced more formula one champions than any other but even we don't produce many, especially ones that win it 4 times and hopefully 5.
    We'll have another Brit on the grid next season. Lando Norris will be driving for McLaren, replacing Stoffel Vandoorne.
  • Sponsored links:

Given that he wasn't exactly born into a family with great riches and that family had more than its share of problems, also add the focus he and his family have had to become the best, I would say we should be holding him up as an example to the nation. But we do love to knock our talent in this country. When he finally retires in hopefully many years time, maybe people will appreciate how good he is when there is no other Brit to stand on the winners step week in week out.
    This country has produced more formula one champions than any other but even we don't produce many, especially ones that win it 4 times and hopefully 5.
    We'll have another Brit on the grid next season. Lando Norris will be driving for McLaren, replacing Stoffel Vandoorne.
    He may well be on the grid but unless McLaren focus on producing a competitive car, he might find himself going the same way as Vandoorne.
  • edited September 2018
    Lando drove for the UK Karting team my son is running with this season, winning the UK title at both Cadet and Junior level.

He was doing some coaching for Jacob last winter and was meant to be doing some more this autumn when the F2 season has finished though I doubt he will have the time now!

He was World karting champion at 13 and the fact that his current P2 in the F2 series is seen as a bit disappointing shows how talented he is.

It will be a good gauge v Sainz and all he needs to worry about is beating him to boost he chances of a competitive drive.

Also Landos old man is loaded - so money will help McLaren now they are not a factory team
  • muzzy said:

I know for a fact that at the British Grand Prix Hamilton visited the Marshals camping site and supplied crates of beer to the marshals and thanked them for all the work they do over the weekend of the race.

What a horrible bastard!
  • muzzy said:

I know for a fact that at the British Grand Prix Hamilton visited the Marshals camping site and supplied crates of beer to the marshals and thanked them for all the work they do over the weekend of the race.

Sky showed him turning up in a transit van with the beers.
    Nice touch I thought, he didn’t have to do and I don’t remember too many others making gestures like that.

He got into a bit of bother posting a video of his nephew wearing a fairy dress at Christmas and saying boys dont wear dresses! Caused a rumpus which he had to apologise for. The scoundrel.

He's just a bit bland. He's a bit like Murray i think.

Take nothing away from his achievements, top class.

• Saw him at Belgian Grand Prix last year, he did a speech talking about his charity work, came across much better than his general impression which with conscious or unconscious bias comes across as a bling orientated arsehole.

Think he gets bad press.

Brilliant driver. Best in the world atm by a distance I think.

Is he a truly great driver? Time will tell but he could be.
  • I think he can already be classed as a great driver - time will only tell how great.
  • There are approx 20 drivers in F1 and the majority are not driving competitive cars - however good Hamilton is given how limited access is to this 'sport' you can't really compare him to sportsmen in traditional sports.

The 20 drivers in F1 are, essentially, the top 20 ranked 'players' or 'competitors' in the Formula series. Very much like the top 20 in any other sport, except that those top 20 change at the end of the season as opposed to throughout the season, based on individual races/results.

It works like the football pyramid so it's not really fair to say it's not comparable.

There's more than 1700 ranked tennis players (that's as far as I got down the ATP rankings before giving up). How many of them have adequate facilities and/or opportunities that would allow them to be competitive? The same could be said for developing footballers in that the those that have benefitted from excellent facilities will have a better chance of 'making it' than those that don't.
    Utterly ridiculous comparison - nothing like the top 20 in other sports and on top of that the cars ensure it isn't a level playing field. Formula 1 is nothing like any other 'sport'.

I don't see many African formula 1 drivers whereas you can get to the top of football or athletics if you have the talent whatever your background. Formula 1 has about as diverse a range of competitors as rowing.

I accept Hamilton is a brilliant driver but he has reached the top in a 'minority' sport however you dress it up.

• Sponsored links:

• He has reached the top without coming from money. That is credit to him and of course his family.

He certainly doesn't fit the profile of the typical F1 driver - I assume Lewis given his determination and the support of his family would have been a success whatever he turned his hand to.

I have never understood why people dislike him.
  • The money involved and required to make it in top class motorsport is extreme. Even for a season in UK Super One for Cadets (the top level of UK karting for 8-13 year olds) pretty much half the grid are spending well in excess of £30k.

So Sunday League Football it aint in terms of required budget.

We normally go through £2k per month and we are not doing S1 until next year.

I just had to spend £7k on an engine from last years champion..... We were a second off the pace at Bayford Meadows in Sittingbourne. Bolted on the motor - and Jacob comes P4 in his first race a tenth off the lead.

You have no choice but to buy the pace. Hamilton was so good, he got himself noticed so Mclaren stepped in with funding.

He was outstanding

I remember seeing him and his dad on the television appealing for funding.
    He had won virtually all there was to win in karting by then. Obviously very talented even back then.

Utterly ridiculous comparison - nothing like the top 20 in other sports and on top of that the cars ensure it isn't a level playing field. Formula 1 is nothing like any other 'sport'.

I don't see many African formula 1 drivers whereas you can get to the top of football or athletics if you have the talent whatever your background. Formula 1 has about as diverse a range of competitors as rowing.

I accept Hamilton is a brilliant driver but he has reached the top in a 'minority' sport however you dress it up.

I should have said that the drivers are like the top 20 teams in football. Manchester City have a far superior 'car' than, say, Southampton. One could argue that it's not a level playing field either due to many factors.

'Utterly ridiculous' is stretching it somewhat as there are many comparables if you find the right level to compare things at.

Re African drivers, like those actually from Africa? If you can provide some detail around the infrastructure and opportunities afforded to Africans in Africa, for the likes of karting and other avenues that lead to high end motorsport, then I'd be able to make a fist of answering why there aren't any African formula one drivers. You can't just chuck that one out there after saying my comparison is utterly ridiculous.
  • You need tracks to produce drivers. courts to produce tennis players. Football is very accessible, much more than many sports but that is just what it is.
  • He has reached the top without coming from money. That is credit to him and of course his family.

He certainly doesn't fit the profile of the typical F1 driver - I assume Lewis given his determination and the support of his family would have been a success whatever he turned his hand to.

I have never understood why people dislike him.
    I don’t think anyone (on this thread at least) actually spends any time disliking him just that they (me for example) don’t particularly like him.

I have no problem saying when he’s deserved his wins or that he’s a good driver, just can’t warm to bloke (don’t like him)
  • I thought this thread would be about the theatre show.