Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Results or style of football ?

edited October 2006 in General Charlton
What is more important to you, getting a result at all costs, or playing the game in a respectable, passing attacking way ?

Comments

• Depends.

Couldn't watch long ball football every week but give me Curbs mixture of passing football and route one with relative success over Dowies slightly more passing football and less route one with limited success any day.

I presume that's what you're getting at (winky face thingy)
  • I thought I wanted attractive passing football but now I dont care how we get the points against Fulham.
  • 1905 has put it well.

I wouldn't say "any cost" as I would hate to see Charlton cheating in the cynical fashion of the "big" clubs.

Bring on a Curbs like 4-5-1 though if it gets us some much needed points!
  • I think there's room for both & the sign of a good side is that it has a Plan 'B'. Just think right now the passing will work if it was a bit more 'slicker' for want of a better word. We are no Arsenal that's for sure but we have got to give the new players/system time. That rubbish we have been watching for the previous two years was un-acceptable & would have resulted in most other managers being sacked (poor football coupled with long losing runs). Did anyone bother to watch the Bolton home game this season? Football over long ball every time for me. Why on earth should we as supporters settle for what amounts to a standard of football that is on a par with Sunday League just quicker when players happily pick up £20-£80k per week. IF they are paid well they should at least be able to entertain me & pass a football properly.
  • good point about the plan B.

In my eyes, you can't even think about attractive football until you're secure enough by playing winning football. Get the team working ethic right, then you can allow a bit more flair.

I think Curbs was within a hairs breath of successfully bridging that. We had a couple of solid seasons when we come up, then the year Parker left was the year we were playing our best football. He could 'afford' to bring in players of the type of Di Canio.

The trouble is, once you lose a couple of your better players, its very hard to get the others to revert back to the team ethic mentality.
  • personally I thought the best football we palyed was at the start of last season with the triumverate midfield of Smertin, Murphy and Kish. We looked like we could take on all-comers and outplay them on the deck, Murphy was spotting and playing early balls for Benty who was sticking 'em away with aplomb. I was loving it!!

We were 2nd in the league behind Chelski. Then all of a sudden we're at home , 2-0 up against spurs and cruising, ledley king scores a lucky goal and our season caves in. the confidence (and luck?) disappeared, just like that....
  • A agree with AFKA on the Parker / Di Canio season and preferred that era to the Smertin/Murphy/Kish one because of Parker's aggression and Di Canio's sublime skills. Just imagine if we had had Baby Bent up front at that time!

My view is that you have to fight to win the right to play the ball with style and, increasingly, that only happens in the last 30 mins or so of a game as the premiership is so tight. I can remember walking away happier from the 2-1 home win to Pompey last year than the defeat to the Yids but the game against Spurs was much better to watch overall.

At this moment in time though, I will take a 1-0 win in the 90 minute from an own goal...
  • as much as i enjoy passing football, the sad fact is that it's a results business.
    people who disagree should think about how little crewe have achieved by constantly playing passing football.
    clubs without the financial clout of the big boys have to pick up points playing ugly football, as the ball players have been gobbled up by the bigger clubs (or reserves).
  • sickens me to see Barton being charged by the FA, yet not a word said about the blatent, and proven diving that effectively won the game.

I know you can always do these what if things, but if Spurs qualify for Europe by one or two points, or Pompey miss out....
  • [cite] AFKA Bartram:[/cite]sickens me to see Barton being charged by the FA, yet not a word said about the blatent, and proven diving that effectively won the game.

I know you can always do these what if things, but if Spurs qualify for Europe by one or two points, or Pompey miss out....
    My new article has a solution that issue AFKA
  • Sponsored links:

• Results - All day long !!

Couldn't give a flying f*** how we play.
  • I'm a strong believer that if you want entertainment, go to the cinema.

If you can get both, then great, but it's a results business
  • i'm all for cheating.