Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

World Cup 2018 Qualification

Comments

• Options

World cups are gay and so is everyone that plays in them!

Yay! Always has been a happy event.
  • Options

Danepak said:

Back in 2009, All Whites (NZ) had to play a team from the AFC (Bahrain) for a spot at the World Cup in South Africa.
    In 2013, they had to play Mexico (from Concacaf).
    This time, they play a team from Conmebol (South America).
    Doesn't exactly get any easier for a team from the OFC, does it?

I wonder if it alternates as remember Australia (when they were Oceania) having to play Uruguay in a Play-Off
    If Australia hadn't moved to Asia, maybe OFC would have an automatic spot again?
    Have OFC ever had an automatic spot?

When Australia (1974) and New Zealand (1982) qualified previous it was via. the Asian Zones
  • Options

Three more teams have now qualified.

Costa Rica
    Poland (first time since 2006)
    Egypt (first time since 1990)

Fifteen spots taken, seventeen more left to fill.

I seem to recall Egypt being in the same group at England back in 1990. Think we drew 1-1.
    We beat them 1 0 with a Mark Wright goal. It followed a 1 1 with Eire and a 0 0 with Holland. I think if we hadn't scored and the Dutch and Irish also drew 0 0 then they'd have had to draw lots for who went through as all four teams would have had identical records. That would have trumped any penalty shootout agonies we've experienced as a way to be eliminated.
  • Options

Danepak said:

Back in 2009, All Whites (NZ) had to play a team from the AFC (Bahrain) for a spot at the World Cup in South Africa.

I wonder if it alternates as remember Australia (when they were Oceania) having to play Uruguay in a Play-Off
    If Australia hadn't moved to Asia, maybe OFC would have an automatic spot again?
    Wasn't that the reason Australia moved federations? - to make it easier for them to qualify?
  • Options

Danepak said:

Wasn't that the reason Australia moved federations? - to make it easier for them to qualify?
    No, it was to give themselves harder games and in so doing improving them.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    If both Wales and Croatia draw tonight with Croatia having scored one more goal i.e. 1-1 vs 2-2, fair play rankings will decide which country progresses to the play off round.

At the moment, Croatia have a better record.
  • Options
    would pick ireland to beat wales tonight, i find the welsh think there a lot better than they are, granted they done pretty well at the euros but that was there 1st appearance at a major tournament since 1958, its a bit like millwall being above us this season and claiming there a bigger club than us..................
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The change made by UEFA? to spread the qualifying games out over the weekend was definitely a good thing, as it means that games like tonight's can get far more attention than they would do if they were played at the same time as the England games and other "bigger countries"

Was just thinking that the other day. It's rare that I give UEFA credit for anything but this was definitely a good move.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

The change made by UEFA? to spread the qualifying games out over the weekend was definitely a good thing, as it means that games like tonight's can get far more attention than they would do if they were played at the same time as the England games and other "bigger countries"

Was just thinking that the other day. It's rare that I give UEFA credit for anything but this was definitely a good move.
    I wouldn't give them credit, whilst it has worked out well it was purely a money making move.
  • Options
    v little sympahty for scotland after seeing some of there fans at hampden wearing iceland and argentina shirts.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

It would be better if they spread the kick off times out a bit more but possibly they are limited in that respect by all the matches in a given group having to kick off at the same time ?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

SDAddick said:

It would be better if they spread the kick off times out a bit more but possibly they are limited in that respect by all the matches in a given group having to kick off at the same time ?
    Group matches have to be played at the same time to be fair, and only at weekends can matches be played earlier, as per yesterday when England's group played at 5pm while N Ireland's played at 7:45
  • Options

v little sympahty for scotland after seeing some of there fans at hampden wearing iceland and argentina shirts.

Absolutely zero sympathy for them.

HAHAHAHAHAHA those poor old jocks.
  • Options

Costa Rica

I seem to recall Egypt being in the same group at England back in 1990. Think we drew 1-1.
    We beat them 1 0 with a Mark Wright goal. It followed a 1 1 with Eire and a 0 0 with Holland. I think if we hadn't scored and the Dutch and Irish also drew 0 0 then they'd have had to draw lots for who went through as all four teams would have had identical records. That would have trumped any penalty shootout agonies we've experienced as a way to be eliminated.
    Didn't Ireland and Holland have to draw lots for 2nd and 3rd (both qualified) to determine who they faced in next round ?
  • Options
    All we need now is Wales to do a job and it's been a good qualification
  • Options

World cups are gay and so is everyone that plays in them!

Can we not call things we don't like "gay" please?
  • Options
    Difficult to decide who I would prefer to win this match.

I cannot cope with supporting a team which contains James Mcclean, so hoping for a 0-0.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wales are not a bad side, but Bale is a major factor for them. Maybe he improves them by as much as 20%!
  • Options
    Iceland 1-0 up, on their way to the World Cup!
  • Options
    If Greece and Croatia results go against them, do not Wales need to win also? It is all a bit confusing!
  • Options
    JBG scores and Iceland are pretty much qualified as group winners
  • Options
    JBG get's Iceland's second!
  • Options
    I am more Irish than I am Welsh but more British than Irish, so it’s a difficult one.
    Also have no time for JM but Irish girls edge it.
  • Options
    Iceland and Serbia going to the World Cup as it stands.
  • Options

Costa Rica

Add Iceland and Serbia to those. First World Cup for Iceland.

Seventeen places taken and 15 left...
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Permutations for European qualifying that I posted in the Wales/Ireland thread...

Five teams are guaranteed play-off spots:

Italy, Denmark, Croatia, Northern Ireland and Rep. Ireland...

One spot will be given to the runners up of Group A:
    France and Sweden need to decide who will finish first and second in their group (the Netherlands are effectively eliminated).
    France play at home to Belarus and Sweden play away at the Netherlands. France are one point ahead of Sweden with a worse goal difference.

One spot will be given to the runners up of Group B:
    Switzerland and Portugal also need to decide who will first and second in their group.
    Switzerland travel to Portugal for the last game. Only a win for Portugal is enough to qualify. Switzerland are three points ahead of Portugal with a worse goal difference.

The last spot will be filled by Greece or Slovakia. If Greece finish second in their group, they will qualify for the play-offs. If Bosnia finish second ahead of Greece then Slovakia will beat Bosnia to the last play-off place based on results against teams who didn't finish sixth.
    Greece are at home to Gibraltar and Bosnia are away at Estonia. Greece are two points ahead of Bosnia with a worse goal difference.

• Options

JBG scores and Iceland are pretty much qualified as group winners

Iceland are absolutely brilliant. Their discipline is fantastic, and they are actually very good with the ball at their feet as well. They battered Turkey then followed it up with a truly professional performance against Kosovo. They were patient and they took their chances. Incredibly happy for them, but they've won their group, which was really tough, and they deserve to be there.