Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

World Cup 2018 Qualification

Comments

• edited September 2017
    Daddy_Pig said:

Saudi Arabia now lead 1-0 with 20mins to go... If they hold on they'll pip Australia to 2nd in the Group on Goal Difference, they'll then qualify for their first World Cup since 2006

Of course that'll mean Australia will be forced to settle for the Play-Off against Syria

Yup Saudi Arabia win and Qualify for the World Cup so is Syria v Australia in the Play-Off

Have to admit if Syria do qualify and get United States and England in the Groups it'll certainly be interesting!!
    Whoever wins the Australia v Syria tie will play the 4th place team from Concacaf which is presently the US
    Both United States and Argentina are in real trouble at the moment which is crazy when you look at the Standings. i.e. Ahead of the USA are Panama who have never qualified whilst ahead of Argentina are Peru whilst Chile at the moment arent even set to Qualify!!
  • OZ v US would be a good game.
  • I would actually love Argentina and Portugal not to qualify. I wonder how the major sponsors of the World Cup would feel without Messi or Ronaldo playing.

Going to be difficult to happen... Second Placed teams in Europe are currently:

Portugal | Northern Ireland | Italy | Iceland | Slovakia | Sweden | Montenegro | Bosnia with Wales missing out at present.

It would be great to see Portugal v Italy in said Play-Offs or even Portugal v England yet UEFA / FIFA arent going to allow a big side being knocked out ahead of the World Cup and will surely have seeds to stop that.

Its a shame because amongst those I do see Northern Ireland struggling to Qualify unless they get Montenegro or Bosnia
  • I would actually love Argentina and Portugal not to qualify. I wonder how the major sponsors of the World Cup would feel without Messi or Ronaldo playing.

Portugal | Northern Ireland | Italy | Iceland | Slovakia | Sweden | Montenegro | Bosnia with Wales missing out at present.

It would be great to see Portugal v Italy in said Play-Offs or even Portugal v England yet UEFA / FIFA arent going to allow a big side being knocked out ahead of the World Cup and will surely have seeds to stop that.

Its a shame because amongst those I do see Northern Ireland struggling to Qualify unless they get Montenegro or Bosnia
    I thought Bosnia are currently likely to not make the playoffs, as record against the bottom placed team in the group is removed?

I thought Bosnia are currently likely to not make the playoffs, as record against the bottom placed team in the group is removed?
    Nah its Wales now... Republic of Ireland were fine (I think they were when I checked the other day) but because Wales have more points against the bottom team, as you say their points get removed...

Its only Goal Difference between them and Bosnia now though and the fact that Wales end Qualifying against Georgia and Republic of Ireland means that they shouldn't stay there (if they do finish 2nd)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(UEFA)#Ranking_of_second-placed_teams

Yeah Republic of Ireland have 10-pts in terms of the 2nd placings...

Nah its Wales now... Republic of Ireland were fine (I think they were when I checked the other day) but because Wales have more points against the bottom team, as you say their points get removed...

Its only Goal Difference between them and Bosnia now though and the fact that Wales end Qualifying against Georgia and Republic of Ireland means that they shouldn't stay there (if they do finish 2nd)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(UEFA)#Ranking_of_second-placed_teams

I would actually love Argentina and Portugal not to qualify. I wonder how the major sponsors of the World Cup would feel without Messi or Ronaldo playing.

I think it will be either Northern Ireland or Scotland who will finish in that dreaded 9th place.

I would actually love Argentina and Portugal not to qualify. I wonder how the major sponsors of the World Cup would feel without Messi or Ronaldo playing.

I think it will be either Northern Ireland or Scotland who will finish in that dreaded 9th place.
    With 13-pts; Northern Ireland will be fine... Bosnia have Belgium to come whilst Wales face the Republic of Ireland... It'll probably be tight but reckon the Northern Irish will be fine for the Play-Offs, their last two games are against Germany and Norway as well so whilst they'll probably drop points against the former they should beat the latter
  • @ForeverAddickted im eagerly awaiting the update
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2017

@ForeverAddickted im eagerly awaiting the update

Going to have to wait a few days... Syria v Australia first match isnt until 5th October; Europe have their customary matches which also start on Thursday same with Africa | South America and North America (Oceania is completed now with New Zealand having to wait for South American Qualifying to finish before they find out their Play-Off opponents).

South America certainly looks the main zone to keep an eye on though; Peru | Argentina | Chile in that order are separated by a point... Means that Peru occupy the final automatic spot; Argentina are in the Play-Offs whilst Chile (still only three points off second spot) will miss out on the World Cup altogether - Next round of games though will see Argentina v Peru (both on 24-pts, both on the same Goal Difference) so neither will really want to lose.

Apart from the African Zone (their final game is in November) and various Play-Offs (which'll also happen in November) we'll pretty much have a full line up of teams for the World Cup after this Weekend as the current rounds will all come to an end.
  • Daddy_Pig said:

Saudi Arabia now lead 1-0 with 20mins to go... If they hold on they'll pip Australia to 2nd in the Group on Goal Difference, they'll then qualify for their first World Cup since 2006

Of course that'll mean Australia will be forced to settle for the Play-Off against Syria

Yup Saudi Arabia win and Qualify for the World Cup so is Syria v Australia in the Play-Off

Have to admit if Syria do qualify and get United States and England in the Groups it'll certainly be interesting!!
    Whoever wins the Australia v Syria tie will play the 4th place team from Concacaf which is presently the US
    Both United States and Argentina are in real trouble at the moment which is crazy when you look at the Standings. i.e. Ahead of the USA are Panama who have never qualified whilst ahead of Argentina are Peru whilst Chile at the moment arent even set to Qualify!!
    Argentina have Peru at home next which is huge, as the winners will almost certainly qualify. If its a draw and Chile win, then the Argies will go into the last game in 6th (which means elimination).

Chile simply must win their next game as they're away to Brazil last game. If Argentina draw with Peru that will be a huge bonus for them.

Whoever gets 5th is practically qualified anyway as they play New Zealand in a play off.
  • edited October 2017
    Same in North America too...

One point separates Panama (Qualify) | United States (Play-Offs) | Honduras (Miss Out) - Next match sees United States v Panama so should Panama win they'll Qualify for what'll be their very first World Cup Finals... Will also likely mean the United States having to play a very tasty Qualifier against either Australia or Syria!!
  • Very unconfident in Scotlands chances - fear it may be another glorious failure.
  • se9addick said:

Very unconfident in Scotlands chances - fear it may be another glorious failure.

Gareth Bale has been ruled out for Wales too... with Wales v Ireland to come that could decide it...
  • se9addick said:

Very unconfident in Scotlands chances - fear it may be another glorious failure.

Gareth Bale has been ruled out for Wales too... with Wales v Ireland to come that could decide it...
    That's a massive blow for Wales (Stating the bleeding obvious, I know).
  • se9addick said:

I reckon we'll get pumped out in the play offs unfortunately
  • se9addick said:

I reckon we'll get pumped out in the play offs unfortunately
    Reckon you stand a chance of beating Slovakia as its at home yet Slovenia away I see you drawing... With Slovakia ending against Malta I reckon they'll pip you to second on Goal Difference
  • Same in North America too...

One point separates Panama (Qualify) | United States (Play-Offs) | Honduras (Miss Out) - Next match sees United States v Panama so should Panama win they'll Qualify for what'll be their very first World Cup Finals... Will also likely mean the United States having to play a very tasty Qualifier against either Australia or Syria!!

Wonder if Trump would allow the Syrian team into the country for the game?

Well Syria are playing their games in Malaysia because of the issues so guess a neutral country could get used for the USA tie... Wonder if we'd see FIFA getting involved as they dont tend to like Governments getting involved in the Sport.

Bet the American team wont want the game abroad though as think their away record has been crap the last few years... they're only in with a chance of Qualification because they're damned good at home

@SDAddick whats that Christian Pulisic (Dortmund) like for the USA - Does he show up and carry the team or not so much? - I noticed that Alexi Lalas was rather critical of him (sarcastically calling him wonderboy) and a few others a few months ago
  • Sponsored links:

Well Syria are playing their games in Malaysia because of the issues so guess a neutral country could get used for the USA tie... Wonder if we'd see FIFA getting involved as they dont tend to like Governments getting involved in the Sport.

Bet the American team wont want the game abroad though as think their away record has been crap the last few years... they're only in with a chance of Qualification because they're damned good at home

@SDAddick whats that Christian Pulisic (Dortmund) like for the USA - Does he show up and carry the team or not so much? - I noticed that Alexi Lalas was rather critical of him (sarcastically calling him wonderboy) and a few others a few months ago
    Alexi Lalas is a gobshite. Like, has been for a decade+. He has long been the pundit who, when he's speaking, you mute the telly. He's a fucking joke.

I'm not going to lie, I don't follow the US men's team very closely. Certainly not in the clusterfuck CONCACAF qualifiers. Pulisic has been somewhat erratic for the US thus far. He turned 19 I think it was last week. He's played through the middle which probably suits the US as he's their best player by far, but he doesn't play there, and never has, for BVB. For Dortmund he's an absolutely magical player.

Because he's the most talented player, because the midfield behind him, the wingers, and the forwards are all pretty meh, it's easy to put a marker on him and make him ineffective.

This is a very strange US team. For a long time this country has had a serious problem consistently producing talent good enough for the ambitions of the US. Klinsmann smartly turned to German-Americans to sort of bridge the gap, but only a handful came out with any real credit. Add to that the fact that some of the "previous generation" moved to MLS and saw their careers really stagnate--Michael Bradley, Jermaine Jones, Mix Diskrud, Clint Dempsey, and you get a very mediocre team. When everyone is fit, the first 11 isn't bad. The problem is after the first XI it's much of a muchness of meh.

The U20 team did well in the U20 World Cup and had a few players who looked very good. Carter-Vickers at Spurs, De La Torre at Fulham, and the enigmatic Zalalem at Arsenal, plus Lennon at....Real Salt Lake I think and the high school kid Josh Sargent all look promising, but all are very raw. And with Bruce Arena in charge, it's going to be a very pragmatic, very boring team.

I'm not convinced they'll scrape through. They've had a huge problem turning up in qualifying. There is a real air of "we're too good for this," which isn't wholly untrue or unique to this round of qualifying, but add to that the clusterfuck of Klinsmann's reign and some indifferent results under Arena and it feels a bit like the perfect storm for not qualifying. That said, the US seem to perform well when under pressure and needing to win.
  • By the way, I'm really excited for Turkey v. Iceland. Winner could well at least make the playoffs. Croatia top the group and play Finland at home (who are trickier than they seem) then go to the Ukraine on the last day. Really interesting stuff. Would be great to see Iceland in the World Cup.

Sorry, uh, too soon?
  • Shag said:

I'd love to see Iceland in the world cup and then in the draw they get Chile

It Asda happen
  • Shag said:

I'd love to see Iceland in the world cup and then in the draw they get Chile

Brilliant. Take the rest of the day off.
  • edited October 2017
    First Leg between Syria and Australia due to kick-off in 10mins... Anyone like me (without a life) can keep an eye on the score here

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/round=275189/match=300414772/index.html

Quite a strong Australia team with Matt Ryan (Brighton) and Aaron Mooy (Huddersfield) from the Premier League, then you've got Jackson Irvine (Hull) and Massimo Luongo (Queens Park Rangers) on the bench... not to mention some youngster called Tim Cahill - Wonder if he'll go on to have a good career?

I'm not even going to try with the Syria team - Although Somi (on the bench) is part of the Ostersunds squad, anyone who dont know them need to look up the Europa League this year as they're causing upset after upset at the moment... Already they've knocked out Galatasaray and PAOK whilst are top of a Group that includes Hertha Berlin and Athletic Bilbao
  • Australia 1-0 with 20 minutes left to play.
  • Australia 1-0 with 20 minutes left to play.

Going by their twitter account it looks as though Australia have dominated so the Syrian dream could be over.

Going to be extremely difficult for them to win in Sydney on Tuesday
  • edited October 2017
    Ooo... Been blown wide open again... Syria get a penalty in the 83rd min... 1-1 with minutes to go

Apparently should be 2-1 to Syria but for the "save of the game" from the Aussie 'keeper