Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

World Cup 2018 Qualification

Comments

• Northern Ireland v Switzerland
    Croatia v Greece
    Denmark v Ireland
    Sweden v Italy

Northern Ireland at home first leg.

Ireland at home second leg.

Was that done deliberately or just luck of the draw?

Or is it not a case of Liverpool / Man Utd being in Moscow at the same time etc.
    Just the way the draw came out.
  • Switzerland are the top ranked team in the playoffs. I'm surprised about that.
  • edited October 2017
    IA said:

Switzerland are the top ranked team in the playoffs. I'm surprised about that.

Like the Welsh have only played one Friendly since June 2016... the rest have all been Qualifiers so protects their ranking.

FIFA really need to sort that rule out; Poland are another team who have only played one friendly over the last year and thats helped them to become seeded for the World Cup (means that Spain arent!!)
  • Anyone know who Scotland got?
  • IA said:

They won nine out of ten qualifiers.
  • philcafc said:

Good draw for the 2 Irish teams, gives them both a decent chance of getting through.

More so for the Republic, Switzerland are better than Denmark

• edited October 2017
    That's the two teams you wanted I think though I agree it's better for Ireland especially because they play at home second. Italy or Croatia would've been a massive struggle.
  • Have to be happy with that for the Republic. None are easy, but getting the 2nd leg at home as well is a big bonus. Roll on Friday when tickets go on sale! COYBIG :smile:
  • The general point of view in the Danish press is that it's neither what we preferred (Northern Ireland) or our worst nightmare (Sweden).
    We're small favourites, but will be very tricky against a hard working, physical strong Irish team, who prefer the opponent to be in possession of the ball. This has always been an issue for Denmark. We're no good at bossing the game (latest results, a small 1-0 win away to Montenegro and 1-1 at home to Romania - when we played Poland prior to these two games, we smashed them 4-0).
  • IA said:

Like the Welsh have only played one Friendly since June 2016... the rest have all been Qualifiers so protects their ranking.

FIFA really need to sort that rule out; Poland are another team who have only played one friendly over the last year and thats helped them to become seeded for the World Cup (means that Spain arent!!)
    Poland reached the Euro 2016 quarter finals and Wales reached the semis so their good rankings are hardly just because they don't play many friendlies.
  • Sponsored links:

• Anyone want to guess which nine teams?

1. Switzerland
    2. Croatia
    3. Italy
    4. Denmark
    5. Tunisia
    6. Morocco
    7. Senegal
    8. Peru
    9. Australia

Think I've picked nine favourites there...
  • As weve got absolutely no chance in the world cup, can barely raise the enthusiasm to give a monkeys.
  • Out of all the teams you have named the only real big team are the Italians. It would not feel like a proper world cup if they were not there.

1. Switzerland ( I really hope I am wrong)
    2. Croatia
    3. Sweden (Big shock)
    4. Ireland
    5. Tunisa
    6. cote d'ivoire
    7. Burkina Faso
    8. New Zerland
    9. Australia
  • Out of all the teams you have named the only real big team are the Italians. It would not feel like a proper world cup if they were not there.

2. Croatia
    3. Sweden (Big shock)
    4. Ireland
    5. Tunisa
    6. cote d'ivoire
    7. Burkina Faso
    8. New Zerland
    9. Australia

Huge fail there... Can spell the proper name for Ivory Coast yet fail to spell New Zealand ;)
  • Here we go, the final week of qualifying... 23 teams are guaranteed their place and all 32 spots should be decided by next Wednesday.

1. Northern Ireland or Switzerland (9th & 12th Nov)
    2. Croatia or Greece (9th & 12th Nov)
    3. Italy or Sweden (10th & 13th Nov)
    4. Ireland or Denmark (11th & 14th Nov)
    5. Tunisia or Congo (11th Nov)
    6. Morocco or Ivory Coast (11th Nov)
    7. Senegal or Burkina Faso or Cape Verde or South Africa (10th & 14th Nov)
    8. New Zealand or Peru (11th & 15th Nov)
    9. Honduras or Australia (10th & 15th Nov)

1, 2, 3, 4, 8 and 9 are all two legged play offs.

5, 6, 7 will be the winner of a group of four.

Only Tunisia or Congo can win their group - Tunisia have 13 points and are at home to Libya, Congo have 10 points and are at home to Guinea. Tunisia's GD is +7 and Congo's is +5.

Only Morocco or Ivory Coast can win their group - Morocco have nine points, they travel to Ivory Coast who, on 8 points, need a win to progress.

Any of the four teams can still win Group D with only three fixtures left to play - Senegal have 8 points, Burkina Faso & Cape Verde have 6 points and South Africa have 4 points.

You've missed the important factor in Group D with the fact that Senegal and South Africa have a game in hand on both Burkina Faso and Cape Verde after their original game was scrapped after FIFA ruled a replay.

If Senegal win then they'll Qualify without having to rely upon the last fixture - If they lose (like they did the original fixture) then South Africa will seriously be in the driving seat as their final fixture is the reverse match between Senegal and South Africa
  • Northern Ireland
    Croatia
    Italy
    Republic of Ireland
    Tunisia
    Morocco
    South Africa
    New Zealand
    Australia
  • before matches are played my predictions are

croatia
    n ireland
    ireland
    sweden

will be heading for russia

• and rest of the world

Tunisia
    Ivory Coast
    Senegal
    Peru
    australia15th Nov)
  • edited November 2017
    I've not been this nervous before a Denmark game (or games in this case), since the 3rd and final group stage game against France (World Cup 2002).
    I can't cope with the thought of missing out of another finals, especially via two playoff games.
    On the other hand, I'll be on cloud nine for weeks, if we make it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Italy could be in trouble.

Great squad of players but the manager Ventura is awful and most people want him out.

Would be a shame to not have the Netherlands and Italy at the WC. The WC needs the big teams.
  • edited November 2017
    Someone with a bit of common sense should rank it rather than being done on stats.
  • Hopefully Denmark.
  • Would like BOLD to win - actual prediction to right

1. Northern Ireland or Switzerland (9th & 12th Nov) - Switzerland
    2. Croatia or Greece (9th & 12th Nov) - Croatia
    3. Italy or Sweden (10th & 13th Nov) - Italy
    4. Ireland or Denmark (11th & 14th Nov) - Ireland
    5. Tunisia or Congo (11th Nov) - Tunisia
    6. Morocco or Ivory Coast (11th Nov) - Ivory Coast
    7. Senegal or Burkina Faso or Cape Verde or South Africa (10th & 14th Nov) - Sengal
    8. New Zealand or Peru (11th & 15th Nov) - Peru
    9. Honduras or Australia (10th & 15th Nov) - Australia
  • edited November 2017

1. Switzerland
    2. Croatia
    3. Italy
    4. Ireland
    5. Tunisia
    6. Ivory Coast
    7. Senegal
    8. Peru
    9. Honduras
  • 1. Northern Ireland
    2. Croatia
    3. Italy
    4. Ireland
    5. Tunisia
    6. Ivory Coast
    7. Senegal
    8. New Zealand
    9. Australia

2. Croatia
    3. Sweden (Big shock)
    4. Ireland
    5. Tunisa
    6. cote d'ivoire
    7. Burkina Faso
    8. New Zerland
    9. Australia

Sweden can you believe it? Sweden? Big shock, big big shock.

• Halix said:

As weve got absolutely no chance in the world cup, can barely raise the enthusiasm to give a monkeys.

But you can raise the enthusiasm to give a monkeys on here.
  • 1. Switzerland
    2. Greece
    3. Sweden (i hope - i dont get this bollox about WC wouldnt be the same without Italy - did they give a toss when we were banned from it??
    4. Denmark
    5. Tunisia
    6. Ivory Coast
    7. South Africa
    8. Peru
    9. Honduras