Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Good on em, North American sport could learn a thing or two from this.
  • Out of interest,how much are they charging for their home leg?
  • It's frustrating.

The prices are becoming a joke, yet people (including me) just have an attachment to their team that they will go whatever the cost.

The clubs know this, so they know they can take the piss.

Equivalent to nightclubs charging ridiculous amounts for drink and fags. What are you gonna do? Not drink and not smoke if you need a fag and have run out, I think not.
  • I don't know if the trust have made any attempt to discuss this topic?

After the great work done by @PragueAddick on the Olympic Stadium fiasco, I'm sure he could rally together with the same group of trusts as he did for that! :-)

It would be great to see them get behind the #Twenty'sPlenty campaign.
  • I don't know if the trust have made any attempt to discuss this topic?

After the great work done by @PragueAddick on the Olympic Stadium fiasco, I'm sure he could rally together with the same group of trusts as he did for that! :-)

It would be great to see them get behind the #Twenty'sPlenty campaign.

Actually, when Steve Clarke and I attended the Supporters Summit in July, we learnt a lot. In one of the sessions they were arguing that the TV money should be used to subsidise reasonable prices, such as Twenty's Plenty.

And then Rhys from Brentford got up and basically told them that it was all very well for the FAPL club Trusts to campaign for this but clubs like Brentford don't get any bloody TV money to speak of. So it's bit rich to say they should tell their club to restrict it to £20, when QPR are getting five times as much TV money, and West ham God knows how many more times.

I hadn't previously thought of it like that. It's not to say that twenty isn't plenty. It is. But this should be one for the FAPL clubs, and if they want our support,they can campaign for a fairer split of the TV money down the leagues. To be fair, some of them, such as the Spurs guys, do say that.

It's the Trust AGM on the 29th. Come along and raise this, and anything else you think we should be doing. We have a voice within the Trust world now, thanks to our Olympic campaign, and we should build on it.
  • Sponsored links:

• I have a few issues with this:

1> Even at these prices they are selling out which suggests that the price is acceptable to some/enough fans.

2> If the prices are going to be reduced to £20, when they can sell the seats many times over at in excess of three times that, who is going to be given first refusal for them and what's to stop them selling them on for the current price?

Unless there is going to be a plan to ensure that all the normal fans can get in then I fear that all will happen is that those that qualify (by not paying more) will go to all of the games, opposed to some of them, and the 'normal fans' won't get a look in.

The only way this works is if the massive teams charge £20 and increase their capacities to two, three or even four times what they are now. Where is the money going to come from to add another 200,000 seats to Old Trafford and how will the maths equate to selling the seats for £20 each. From memory Liverpool are in the process of adding another 13,300 seats at a cost of £260m. That means that each seat costs £19,548 each. Assuming that the money is interest free and Liverpool have 30 home games a season (that's 11 cup games) it would take 32 and a half years to recoup the money at £20 a ticket. The bigger the capacity is the more it tends to cost to expand it, per seat.

The problem is that there is just too much demand for these tickets. If all of the Munich fans that are coming stayed home I suspect they could still sell it out from other Germans or more Arsenal fans or tourists.

Also, if Charlton were in the Champions League and playing Munich I would, happily, pay £63 to watch world class players on both our side and theirs.
  • edited October 2015

I have a few issues with this:

1> Even at these prices they are selling out which suggests that the price is acceptable to some/enough fans.

2> If the prices are going to be reduced to £20, when they can sell the seats many times over at in excess of three times that, who is going to be given first refusal for them and what's to stop them selling them on for the current price?

Unless there is going to be a plan to ensure that all the normal fans can get in then I fear that all will happen is that those that qualify (by not paying more) will go to all of the games, opposed to some of them, and the 'normal fans' won't get a look in.

The only way this works is if the massive teams charge £20 and increase their capacities to two, three or even four times what they are now. Where is the money going to come from to add another 200,000 seats to Old Trafford and how will the maths equate to selling the seats for £20 each. From memory Liverpool are in the process of adding another 13,300 seats at a cost of £260m. That means that each seat costs £19,548 each. Assuming that the money is interest free and Liverpool have 30 home games a season (that's 11 cup games) it would take 32 and a half years to recoup the money at £20 a ticket. The bigger the capacity is the more it tends to cost to expand it, per seat.

The problem is that there is just too much demand for these tickets. If all of the Munich fans that are coming stayed home I suspect they could still sell it out from other Germans or more Arsenal fans or tourists.

Also, if Charlton were in the Champions League and playing Munich I would, happily, pay £63 to watch world class players on both our side and theirs.

By the time we get in the Champions League you'll be paying £630
    If we ever got to the Champions League it would be because the whole world had gone tits-up.

This would be the going rate for a ticket, but by half time it would only be enough for 14 chips.
  • But they've still paid the price of the ticket. As if Arsenal will care. If they really wanted to protest then they could just stay in Germany.

Exactly this. Why will Arsenal be bothered?
  • edited October 2015

But they've still paid the price of the ticket. As if Arsenal will care. If they really wanted to protest then they could just stay in Germany.

Exactly this. Why will Arsenal be bothered?
    I dont think they will, but i didnt know that Arsenal charged that much for a ticket, and im sure many others didnt either. So its certainly raised awareness.

Last year Liverpool were given £92.7m by the Premier League alone. Its not the fans money that bankroll the top clubs anymore.
  • I bet the Old Bill are gonna love a couple thousand krauts just milling about outside the stadium going nowhere!

Last year Liverpool were given £92.7m by the Premier League alone. Its not the fans money that bankroll the top clubs anymore.
    Really? Where did the Premier League get their money?
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Sky, BT, Overseas TV, Sponsorship.
  • Sponsored links:

• JiMMy 85 said:

Right, and who pays for that? Who pays to watch the games?
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Last time i looked, i didnt see people watching the game on SKY TV after paying £63 quid for a ticket!

When i said 'fans', i meant gate money as it was in response to KHA's post.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Last time i looked, i didnt see people watching the game on SKY TV after paying £63 quid for a ticket!

Right...the broadcasting companies can only pay the PL clubs if people are paying for their sports services. What happens if there's no take-up on that service? Remember the ITV Sport collapse?

And don't underestimate gate money either. I highly doubt clubs would be happy to play in empty stadiums every week.
  • edited October 2015

JiMMy 85 said:

Right...the broadcasting companies can only pay the PL clubs if people are paying for their sports services. What happens if there's no take-up on that service? Remember the ITV Sport collapse?

And don't underestimate gate money either. I highly doubt clubs would be happy to play in empty stadiums every week.
    The whole point is that clubs can freeze ticket prices, as they will fill up the stadium to its capacity. They may lose £10m in gate money over the season (Arsenals annual profit can take that hit), but the same amount of people will still subscribe to SKY & BT. Thats the point i was trying to make.
  • I did rough sums a couple of years ago. At the time Man Utd could afford to give away every normal seat (so excluding hospitality/corporate seats) and it would lower their annual turnover (not net profits, just gross turnover) by around 4%. With the increase in TV money with the new deal then you're looking at around 3%.

This is where the point about small clubs being unable to do that comes in. If Charlton were to offer every seat for free then we'd see turn over drop by 30-40%, a clearly impossible amount to lose when most championship clubs either struggle to break even or run at an owner funded loss.
  • I did rough sums a couple of years ago. At the time Man Utd could afford to give away every normal seat (so excluding hospitality/corporate seats) and it would lower their annual turnover (not net profits, just gross turnover) by around 4%. With the increase in TV money with the new deal then you're looking at around 3%.

This is where the point about small clubs being unable to do that comes in. If Charlton were to offer every seat for free then we'd see turn over drop by 30-40%, a clearly impossible amount to lose when most championship clubs either struggle to break even or run at an owner funded loss.

But if United sold all tickets at the same price as Charlton (A price freeze of £25 say), then their turnover would decrease by less than 2% right?
  • Paying to watch 22 men you don't know kick a ball around on some grass is pretty nuts whether you're paying £20 or £60 !
  • edited October 2015
    Sky need the correct type of atmosphere in the grounds to sell their football "brand". If PL stadiums start emptying then the next round of money on offer to PL clubs will greatly reduce.

The gate at games is therefore still important to the bottom line of the PL clubs.
  • se9addick said:

Paying to watch 22 men you don't know kick a ball around on some grass is pretty nuts whether you're paying £20 or £60 !

Beats going shopping with the Mrs though.

But if United sold all tickets at the same price as Charlton (A price freeze of £25 say), then their turnover would decrease by less than 2% right?
    Correct. It wasn't long ago that the cheapest seats at OT were less than £25, it's only Glazier penny pinching that has seen prices rise quite sharply over the last few years. It's just greed, pure and simply. They happily screw their fans to increase turnover by a couple of percent.