Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Man Utd v Charlton Ath FA Youth Cup - Where are they now?

edited October 2015 in General Charlton
This team sheet was one of a number given to @chathmuseum recently.

Thought it was interesting to see how many from each side are now playing for their first team.

Taking into account that it is much much harder to get into the Utd first team the amount of Charlton players to have progressed is impressive none the less.

Comments

• Options
    Don't recognise any of those names on the man Utd teamsheet... They should have joined a big team like the lads on the right hand side of the page...
  • Options
    What happened to Harry Gerard after being released in the summer?
  • Options
    Man U

Tyler Blackett has played quite a few games for their first team under LVG. Now on loan at Celtic

Jack Barmby is now at Leicester

Mats Daehli was released by Man U, signed for Molde under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer then signed by Solskjaer at Cardiff but hardly played and is now at Freiburg.

James Wilson is a first team member now at Utd.
  • Options
    Sam Byrne had a spell on loan at a Championship or league one club.
  • Options
    It is certainly quite impressive that out of our 16 you would expect a minimum of 7-8 to have careers in league football.
  • Options

Callum Marriott? Must have been released that season as i can't remember him?

He left us to open a hotel

Interesting that Man U are managed by U2's manager!
  • Options

It is certainly quite impressive that out of our 16 you would expect a minimum of 7-8 to have careers in league football.

Totally agree with this. It is surely an attraction for promising youngsters to sign with us, knowing they have a more than decent chance of making a living as a footballer in the future.
  • Options
    good and encouraging to see so many of the CAFC team have come through to play in the first team, although of course it's easier to play for us than to get into the United first team frame .. the academy coaches and management have done and are still doing a terrific job
  • Options
    Luke Hendrie is at Burnley not played for the first team yet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Barmby is Nicky's son?

Hendrie son of Lee?

McGuinness son of the old manager?

United would of looked stronger had they picked Pogba. And could have included an ex player of ours.
  • Options
    So who on that sheet has made the most appearances?
  • Options
    In relative terms, that's a pretty poor United team, when you consider the number of players over the years from their academy who've either made it to their first team, or had careers at a high level.

McCullough is at Doncaster, Sam Byrne is at Everton though hasn't played for the 1st team, Jack Barmby (son on Nicky) is at Leicester, and had an unsuccessful loan spell at Rotherham, Nicholas Ioannou is back in Cyprus
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Jonathan Sutherland is playing in USA for East Tennessee State University. He played once or twice for England U19's
  • Options
    Liam Grimshaw is still at MU but at present on loan to Motherwell.
  • Options

In relative terms, that's a pretty poor United team, when you consider the number of players over the years from their academy who've either made it to their first team, or had careers at a high level.

Maybe correct when you mention "careers at a high level" as this will include anyone who went to another Premier League club. In terms of their first team, I thought most of their English players had been bought from other clubs.

From their Wiki page, I count 5 out of the 27 names listed who had joined Man Utd before they turned 17, with a total of 39 appearances in Man Utd first team (including League Cup) between them.

Historically they have brought through some great players in the academy, but since the turn of the century, I'm not so sure.
  • Options

Is this a trick question? I would say Cousins.
  • Options
    IA said:

Is this a trick question? I would say Cousins.
    Yes, Cousins, then Azeez, then Harriott.
  • Options
    From the Charlton lot the only two who seem to have faded into total obscurity, nearly 4 years on, are Tom Derry and Ellis Brown. I am of course assuming Marriott is in fact our very own Messi.

Can anyone tell me different?
  • Options
    Tom Derry went to Gillingham and was at Aldershot last season.

Ellis Brown went to Southend.

No idea if they've racked up League appearances or not.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    IA said:

Maybe correct when you mention "careers at a high level" as this will include anyone who went to another Premier League club. In terms of their first team, I thought most of their English players had been bought from other clubs.

From their Wiki page, I count 5 out of the 27 names listed who had joined Man Utd before they turned 17, with a total of 39 appearances in Man Utd first team (including League Cup) between them.

Historically they have brought through some great players in the academy, but since the turn of the century, I'm not so sure.
    They've not been at the level of the class of 92, but Wes Brown, O'Shea, Welbeck, Jonny Evans, Darren Fletcher, Daron Gibson have all been decent PL players, and there are others like Ryan Shawcross, Tom Heaton and Frazier Campbell
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Kenji Gorre captained my Plymouth team to the Premier League in the famous 2021/22 season and scored 15 from the right wing. Legend.
    But then the Plymouth chairman had the cheek to offer me only £3k a week despite all the big clubs wanting me. Doesn't he know who I am?!
  • Options

IA said:

They've not been at the level of the class of 92, but Wes Brown, O'Shea, Welbeck, Jonny Evans, Darren Fletcher, Daron Gibson have all been decent PL players, and there are others like Ryan Shawcross, Tom Heaton and Frazier Campbell
    OK thanks. Thought I was going crazy there. Was sure there was someone I'd forgotten.

Brown is pre-2000. O'Shea and Gibson don't count under my "signed before they were 17" rule for academy graduates. Gibson maybe does count as he was signed the same year as his 17th birthday.

Welbeck, Evans, Fletcher, Shawcross, Heaton, Campbell. I'm sure we'd be singing the praises of our academy if we'd produced them all. I just don't think it is as impressive as you would expect (and I thought before questioning your post) from the biggest club in the country.
  • Options
    IA said:

IA said:

OK thanks. Thought I was going crazy there. Was sure there was someone I'd forgotten.

Brown is pre-2000. O'Shea and Gibson don't count under my "signed before they were 17" rule for academy graduates. Gibson maybe does count as he was signed the same year as his 17th birthday.

Welbeck, Evans, Fletcher, Shawcross, Heaton, Campbell. I'm sure we'd be singing the praises of our academy if we'd produced them all. I just don't think it is as impressive as you would expect (and I thought before questioning your post) from the biggest club in the country.
    That's probably more of a reflection of the quality of recent English/British players sadly, and also a curious sign of the times that Manchester seems to have stopped producing top players. The Man U Class of 92 had the Nevilles,Butt and Scholes all from the Manchester area, plus Giggs who lived there. None of the current England set up seem to be from the Manchester area (apart from Welbeck who's not at that level); similarly Manchester bands have also dropped in quality since the 90s!

• Options
    You're probably right.

Manchester band members were usually City fans so I blame them for the music.
  • Options
    IA said:

You're probably right.

Clearly it was City being useless that created the great bands :-)
  • Options
    IA said:

Only the big mouthed ones.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Tom Derry went to Gillingham and was at Aldershot last season.

Ellis Brown went to Southend.

No idea if they've racked up League appearances or not.

Cheers Oggy. I didn't know about either of those.

Hope all is well.
  • Options

Kenji Gorre captained my Plymouth team to the Premier League in the famous 2021/22 season and scored 15 from the right wing. Legend.
    But then the Plymouth chairman had the cheek to offer me only £3k a week despite all the big clubs wanting me. Doesn't he know who I am?!

Ronnie Pickering ?
  • Options
    Whatever happened to Darren Bond?