Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Day Return Train Ticket

If I buy an off-peak day return train ticket from say London to Leeds, could I get off in Grantham (example, can't remember if trains from London to Leeds actually stop at Grantham) for a couple of hours and then get back on a different train from Grantham to Leeds on the same ticket?

Looking for facts here people :)

Thanks,

Comments

• Yes, but if you want to make a day of it have a look round Doncaster and Luton as well
  • ads said:

Yes, but if you want to make a day of it have a look round Doncaster and Luton as well

Haha I'm not actually making this journey. Asking for a mate who's wanting to drink in a different city than the game before football.
  • There is no such ticket as a Day Return for this length of journey,but on a super or off peak return breaks of journey are permitted,but these tickets are very expensive.
  • clive said:

There is no such ticket as a Day Return for this length of journey,but on a super or off peak return breaks of journey are permitted,but these tickets are very expensive.

Sorry yeah, I wasn't actually making this journey. Was just an example. So if an off peak return ticket is available I would be allowed to have a break of journey?
  • Yes,but you are advised to check & beware of some restrictions.
  • clive said:

Yes,but you are advised to check & beware of some restrictions.

Okay thanks, any idea how I can check? Doesn't say anything about restrictions when buying them apparently.
  • If you look on 'Trainline' enter the journey/ticket you want to buy & it tells you the restrictions.
  • clive said:

If you look on 'Trainline' enter the journey/ticket you want to buy & it tells you the restrictions.

Cheers, doesn't seem to say anything on there aside from the usual "Via Any Permitted Route
    Valid on off-peak services by the route & Train Operator shown. Return journey must be made the same day."
  • The cheapest tickets are generally only available on specified trains and booked on the operator's own website (and you usually a reserved seat). This rules out a break of journey.

You will always pay more on Trainline than the National Rail website as they charge a booking fee.
  • If challenged say that you had a toilet-based emergency, the previous train's toilet was occupied, you alighted the train to avoid fouling the seats and needed to go by a new pair of trousers.
  • Sponsored links:

• If he buys a return to Grantham and then a return from Grantham to Leeds, it might be cheaper than a return to Leeds, also there are no restrictions on his travel.
    Splitting travel is often cheaper than going the full distance.
  • No. You cannot break outward journeys, only return journeys. Think about getting individual tickets for each journey part if that is what you want to do.
  • If there aren't any barriers there shouldn't be a problem. It's not like the ticket inspector will know you only got on that Leeds train 1 stop ago and not at London like the ticket says.
  • You can definitely break outward journeys if you need to change trains anyway or if it would be common to change trains (eg if going to Wolverhampton, you could go for a few pints in Birmingham on the way). I think you can break the outward journey in every case though, regardless of whether there are barriers or not. Can check at the station if you buy the ticket on the day.

Can definitely break the return journey.

This is based on the most expensive tickets, the open returns, peak or off-peak.

What is the actual journey you're looking for? If the match is in a smaller city than the desired drinking, then it's probably OK.
  • I would have thought that only tickets with a reserved seat and time would preclude you from breaking up your journey.

There is also the fact that train companies/TfL keep putting up posters saying 'if you're unwell, alight the train at the next stop and seek help'. Seems to fly in the face of reason that they advise you to break up your journey if it also invalidates your ticket.