Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mark Reid

I was telling my son the other day about incidents, where players have clashed with referee's etc, and our former full back Mark Reid came to mind.

Is my memory playing tricks on me, or did he shove the linesman at Oxford away in circa 1987, and then do something similar to the ref against Norwich around the same time?

The funny thing I was at the Oxford game, in the old away end but the view from there was so bad, that the only thing I can recall from that game is Andy Jones scoring (I think), his first ever goal for us, right in front of the away end.

Any help greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Options
    Norwich away wasn't it? and how he got away with it like he did I'll never know.
  • Options
    I remember the Andy Jones goal.
  • Options
    Was at both those games but the memory is pony but can confirm that a shove/push whatever it was definitely happened at Norwich but not sure on such an incident at Oxford but may have happened and Andy Jones did score at Oxford but what was the result in that game , a 2-1 or 3-1 defeat is my guess
  • Options
    I have a feeing that Andy Jones scored 2 and we won 2-1? my memory is also shot though
  • Options
    i was there for the oxford game, pretty sure we lost 3-2.
  • Options
    He shoved the ref. in the Norwich game at Carrow Road on boxing day, I was there but cannot remember the year. I think the result was 1-1.
  • Options
    3rd Jan 1987 Norwich 1-1 Charlton
    Ref David Axcell taken off field with concussion after being accidentally pushed over by Reid while protesting that Biggins' goal didn't cross the line.
  • Options

3rd Jan 1987 Norwich 1-1 Charlton
    Ref David Axcell taken off field with concussion after being accidentally pushed over by Reid while protesting that Biggins' goal didn't cross the line.

Thanks for getting the correct day Valiantphil. Was it really that long ago?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Axcell had just awarded Norwich a goal, Reid rushed over to him with outstretched arms. As Axcell turned round Reid caught him accidently in the face. Ref went down like a sack of shit, received treatment but had to go off.

Linesman, as they were called in those days, took over the refereeing duties.

Axcell hadn't given us much throughout the game but the new ref seemed to be giving everything to us.

Then Jim Melrose shrugged off a challenge and put the ball in the net only for the ref to have given a free kick a split second earlier.

Game ended 1-1.

Know nothing about the incident in the Oxford game.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Axcell had just awarded Norwich a goal, Reid rushed over to him with outstretched arms. As Axcell turned round Reid caught him accidently in the face. Ref went down like a sack of shit, received treatment but had to go off.

Linesman, as they were called in those days, took over the refereeing duties.

Axcell hadn't given us much throughout the game but the new ref seemed to be giving everything to us.

Then Jim Melrose shrugged off a challenge and put the ball in the net only for the ref to have given a free kick a split second earlier.

Game ended 1-1.

Know nothing about the incident in the Oxford game.

That's exactly right.

I also seem to remember the lino who took over was the one at that end of the ground for the "goal" that never crossed the line and he told our players that he thought it hadn't gone in during the game. Only because the ref had given it, then got knocked out, he couldn't change the original decision. Or something like that.

Was my first out of London away game.
  • Options
    I think Mark Reid got sent off twice in quick succession, at Wimbledon and Oxford. I was at both games and I'm almost sure that the Oxford manger (Maurice Evans?) pleaded with the ref not to send MR off - I could be wrong but I think the FA were having one of their periodic crackdowns and Mark fell foul (sorry) of that.
  • Options
    I remember the Wimbledon one, all the back four had had a go at hacking Fashanu down and Reid was the last one to do it, so the ref was getting fed up by this time and sent him off.
  • Options
    1st Sept 1987
    Wimb 4-1 Charlton (Stuart 29)
    Reid sent of on 51 mins for foul on Fashanu (who claimed it was a harsh decision), Crookswas also booked for protesting the decision.

24th Oct 1987
    Oxford 2-1 Charlton (Jones 80), Reid sent off on 71mins for tackle on Hoyle despite protest from Maurice Evans