Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rooney Documentary

Anyone watch it?

I expect to be shot down by a few on here but I Really enjoyed it . If English sport in general had people as dedicated and passionate as someone like him , we'd be more successful in my opinion. The respect he gets from people high within football speaks for itself . Great programme that . Well done Wayne

Comments

• Options
    Here we go, here we go, here we go
  • Options
    I've never been a Rooney fan but I also enjoyed that documentary.

The cynic might say it's all good PR but I actually formed the impression that he genuinely is a devoted family man.

Maybe I will have to reconsider my attitude towards him.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Here we go, here we go, here we go

?
  • Options
    Good watch - confirmed my suspicions that he is just a normal bloke who has made a couple of mistakes but on the whole is a decent, family man who just happens to have an incredible talent.

We'll appreciate him more when he is gone, which is unfortunate really.
  • Options
    Seems like an alright guy. I don't enjoy the absolute wankfest over him though when he's been poor as of late and England have achieved fuck all when they should have been so much better in the time he's played for them.
  • Options
    Brilliantly well produced documentary though I have to say
  • Options
    Enjoyed it. What a player at such a young age. Some great goals scored and enjoyed watching them.

Still got riled at the Ronaldo wink. Winked.

• Options
    I've no watched it yet, but nothing I've seen about Rooney suggests anything other than a normal person and responsible family man since he got married.

Whether his performances on the pitch have been good enough recently is a different question...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Oh, please - talk about slurping up the PR kool aid!

Wayne Rooney is clearly a great family man - apart from when he's knocking off hookers when his wife is pregnant.

This wouldn't normally concern me but for the fact that him and his missus spend fortunes on PR to try and convince the world what a wonderful bloke Wayne really is.

Wayne Rooney is a decent player but in many ways he epitomises so much of what is wrong with English football.

- Over rated

- Over hyped

- Over paid

- Over exposed

Perfectly summarised.
  • Options
    I'm fascinated by the way people are quite rightly prepared to forgive and forget mistakes made by a footballer when he was young.

But the same kindness doesn't seem to extend to what politicians (of all parties) got up to in their younger days.

Is there a reason for that I wonder?
  • Options
    il catch it on iplayer but my natural miserable assumption (even before watching it) instantly thinks it's a sad well thought out PR to make Rooney look like a really good person. One that's unfairly judged. A hard working people person and family man that loves his country.

I can only speak for what I know of Rooney, which in the great scheme of things probably isn't that much but he Is a very very lucky man for what he is.

A man that with so much money and power (more then what he's worth as a footballer even if you accept the mad wages every player is on generally)

He would have access to plenty of advice and support about how to look good in the public eye...he has probably gradually learned his trade...such as when a TV show is airing.
    Of course he will try and put on a good impression.

He is the most unlike-able "England legend" that you would least warm to. Who rarely scored big important goals against the big teams in big competitions.

Having said this, I would like to see the programme and he probably ain't as bad as what his past public image, nob head behaviour on the pitch (slight thuggery persona) and obvious mistakes, represent.
    Who am I to judge I might just be a c**t myself. If he's a decent family man and now a well respected England captain then good on him.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Showed what a player he was, some fantastic goals.

Think he's burnt out now, started young, peaked young, finishing young. Ferguson saw it coming in 2013 too.

Oh, and Zlatan Ibrahimovic is so cool.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

I'm fascinated by the way people are quite rightly prepared to forgive and forget mistakes made by a footballer when he was young.

But the same kindness doesn't seem to extend to what politicians (of all parties) got up to in their younger days.

Is there a reason for that I wonder?

I'm happy to forgive most youthful indiscretions, young people do stupid things, but the important thing is if they learn from them
  • Options
    cafc4life said:

Anyone watch it?

I expect to be shot down by a few on here but I Really enjoyed it . If English sport in general had people as dedicated and passionate as someone like him , we'd be more successful in my opinion. The respect he gets from people high within football speaks for itself . Great programme that . Well done Wayne

For all the ego, if you want dedicated and passionate look no further than Ronaldo - apparently has worked incredibly hard throughout his career.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    My granny likes him!

A very good player, but in my opinion not great because teams have to be adjusted to suit his style of play and he doesnt fit the traditional striker or advanced midfield pattern. Hes a bit like an older, balder, scouser, better version of Tony Watt.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Quite possibly the most boring documentary in the history of television - the type of PR managed fawning guff I'd expect from ITV not the BBC.

The interviews with people who possibly had a different less positive view of Wayne were quite fascinating.
  • Options
    Does Donkey still sound like Eddie Murphy?
  • Options

The interviews with people who possibly had a different less positive view of Wayne were quite fascinating.

Was the biddyfiddling discussed?
  • Options

I think he's great. He's made some really shite decisions in life but no more so than any otheor person. It's just that his mistakes get broadcast to an entire nation.

Enjoyed it.

My thoughts exactly.

Thought it was a good watch.
  • Options
    Paul Stretford looks a lovely guy.
  • Options
    Football wise I think he's burnt out, a bit like Fernando Torres, where body and mind is gone after 12/14 years at the top. But undoubtedly an excellent player in his pomp, not his fault he's been surrounded by such poor players in the England team.