Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton live

Is this program on tonight? I can't hear anything?

Comments

• Options
    So sorry, there's some sort of issue with our stream this evening. I'm going to have to get the radio technician back in over the next couple of weeks to sort this out.

We're recording a podcast now which will be out tomorrow morning at the latest.
  • Options
    It is a part of a paid for service - commentary always 5 to7 mins behind, too many technical faults. The best apology would be for the service to improve.
  • Options
    Charlton live is no longer on CAFCPlayer and is free-to-air through our website.
  • Options
    Apologies, I can't complain if it is free. What actually is on Player? I pay for it but don't bother with it anymore it is so crap.
  • Options
    CAFC player is about several things for me. The away commentary, the Luzon (or whoever) pre match interview, and stuff showing youth and U21 action.
    Not a great service, but better than nothing, and not exorbitant in my view.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

CAFC player is about several things for me. The away commentary, the Luzon (or whoever) pre match interview, and stuff showing youth and U21 action.

This. Cant complain about something that 1) Gives me great un-baised commentary and 2) The blokes do it for nothing.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

That's how I see it too
  • Options

Apologies, I can't complain if it is free. What actually is on Player? I pay for it but don't bother with it anymore it is so crap.

You get to see the Luzon saying the exact same thing on friday afternoons. I pay for it too but don't bother with it anymore. More fool us eh?
  • Options
    I like to have it on when watching Soccer Saturday when I don't go to the match. Unfortunately a goal in our game will always flash up at least 5 minutes before the commentary covers it. Or if I ignore Soccer Saturday I get a text from my brother etc... Then when you listen to the game it cuts off regularly. If it was free I couldn't complain, but I am paying for it and I think it is rubbish. I had it on a pay pal monthely revue but they stopped that so more fool me I paid for a year to avoid hassle. That will be the end as it isn't a service - it is rubbish.
  • Options

CAFC Player changed over to CAFC PlayerHD which although looks similar, is a completely new platform with a different company hosting the site.

Sadly the change over meant we lost the ability to stream audio (except League/Cup matches) unless we pay an expensive fee per broadcast meaning to host Charlton Live would have cost an estimated five figure sum per season. Being a lifelong Charlton fan myself I also believe the fans radio will get a better reach if it's free.

PlayerHD offers better quality commentaries with a shorter delay and more important we now have a technical team who we can phone meaning if there's a problem we can get it fixed whereas previously we struggled.

We are determined to try to make PlayerHD value for money for fans which is why we have extended highlights, full exclusive interviews, unique goal angles and post match content.

We are also building the Valley Vault which gives fans access to historical footage, and we are currently in the processes of sourcing archive footage which we believe may have never been seen before.

I am also genuinely interested to see what fans would like to see on there in the future as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think it is value for money as is, i have been a subscriber for four seasons now, the commentary for every game is my main reason, as a fan who for almost ten years now who has not been able to get to as many games as i used to or would ideally like to its fantastic, especially the last couple of seasons.

The extended highlights are another great benefit but i don't tend to watch any of the video interviews.

The archive footage sounds like an interesting idea.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

I am also genuinely interested to see what fans would like to see on there in the future as well.

Access to Roland's private stream. Make it happen
  • Options

CAFC Player changed over to CAFC PlayerHD which although looks similar, is a completely new platform with a different company hosting the site.

Sadly the change over meant we lost the ability to stream audio (except League/Cup matches) unless we pay an expensive fee per broadcast meaning to host Charlton Live would have cost an estimated five figure sum per season. Being a lifelong Charlton fan myself I also believe the fans radio will get a better reach if it's free.

PlayerHD offers better quality commentaries with a shorter delay and more important we now have a technical team who we can phone meaning if there's a problem we can get it fixed whereas previously we struggled.

We are determined to try to make PlayerHD value for money for fans which is why we have extended highlights, full exclusive interviews, unique goal angles and post match content.

We are also building the Valley Vault which gives fans access to historical footage, and we are currently in the processes of sourcing archive footage which we believe may have never been seen before.

Can we see no delay or less than a minute at least as a priority. My experience is that the delay has become longer, not shortened. Also, it hasn't become any more reliable. Commentary is a big reason people subscribe so it is important to get that right, and admitting it is not good enough at present would be a big step towards that. I repeat, this is a paid for service so needs to be better.
  • Options

Can we see no delay or less than a minute at least as a priority. My experience is that the delay has become longer, not shortened. Also, it hasn't become any more reliable. Commentary is a big reason people subscribe so it is important to get that right, and admitting it is not good enough at present would be a big step towards that. I repeat, this is a paid for service so needs to be better.
    Just out of curiosity when was the last time you listened to the comms? And how long was the delay?

I've been recording the comms on my laptop, whilst doing them, and notice the audio comes in about a minute from when I start talking.

I'm not sure if it will be different for other people but I have noticed an improvement on last season and before where people were reporting long delays.
  • Options

Hope you get it fixed, as of course this is a very valuable service to cafc fans, especially those living abroad, and those not always able to attend games. Hopefully you can link up with IRTM ( one of the clubs sponsors) who I contacted to migrate the museum website I designed and will be expanded for greater capacity. I tend to build a stable and robust platform, and bench test it. I also spent a considerable time with UoG and there excellent enterprise department based at the Greenwich peninsular hub, for 'media students' to assist and work with CAFC. I think you use the basis for this for the camera work for the games at the `Valley' for the U21, I had issues with connectivity with the 'Charlton live' trial earlier this year, and heard the first show, but could not on 2 occasions after that get it on my apple computer. Send me a message if you want any comments suggestions, always happy to advise.
  • Options
    The lagging on the commentary is definitely an issue, but more often than not the other clubs have less delay judging by the match threads.
  • Options
    I normally try to time the delay by when I see "The game is underway" on the Charlton Wall to when the commentary team describe the kick off, so if there is much of a delay in getting stuff in the Wall, then the actual delay could be significantly more...

Based on this, I think that the Player audio delay is about 90 seconds in my recent experience.

The "normal" goal events get played out by "GOOOOOOOOAAAALLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!" or "Goal" (depending who scores) being flashed up on the Wall, cut to Sky Sports News who then go to the match reporter for a ten second verdict on the goal, then go back and listen to the online commentary and hear the build up to the goal, knowing it is just about to happen!

No delay in commentary would be fantastic!
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Last
    LouisMend said:

Just out of curiosity when was the last time you listened to the comms? And how long was the delay?

I've been recording the comms on my laptop, whilst doing them, and notice the audio comes in about a minute from when I start talking.

I'm not sure if it will be different for other people but I have noticed an improvement on last season and before where people were reporting long delays.
    I turned the Cardiff game off when I was listening to the commentary and the score came up on the tv a good few minutes before their equlaiser. Blackburn away - I gave up after all I could hear was some bloke trying to get a connection from Ewood park. The commentary often stops then starts again 30 seconds later. It spoils the commentary if you know that if it hasn't come up on Sky the description isn't going to lead to anything. I can turn Soccer Saturday off- but I will still get texts! It takes away from the service and shouldn't be impossible to fix, seeing as people are paying for it.
  • Options

I can only echo what Louis says - I believe the delay is shorter, however I will send an email to the Football League who are responsible for the hosting of club Player sites to ask them regarding the delay and we will do as much as we can.

In regards to reliability the service is a lot better - for example previously it could take us up to 4 hours to publish content whereas now we can get content out within 3 minutes of uploading, extended highlights are up 12 noon the next day whereas previously we had to wait till Monday or Tuesday (heavily due to uploading problems), commentary faults are fixed faster for example Bolton pre-season we had problems and we got them fixed within 2 minutes whereas previously we couldn't guarantee that the commentary would even be fixed during the game.
  • Options
    I thought the commentary for the Fulham game was excellent.
    Not sure who was working but the chap painted a very good verbal picture of the game.
    I could feel by his tone that after Jacko’s goal the pressure was mounting for our equaliser.
    Great improvement from a couple of seasons ago when the match appeared to be of secondary importance to Emma’s comments about the weather, the state of the pitch, the contents of her handbag etc. etc.
    Terry Smiths commentary and analysis are always worth listening to.
    The time delay is not an issue to me when listening only to the commentary but would be good if it could be sorted.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I rarely listen to our people commentate, but as a result hear a wide variety from other clubs. Some are utter rubbish, but some are really good, Cardiff recently being a fine example.
    The most consistent factors between good and bad are the amount of waffle verses telling us, the unsighted, what is happening. Really good commentary contains knowledge of both teams which is dropped in at appropriate points, and the ability to paint a picture of the general event, including stuff like the weather and fans.
    It helps if those speaking have decent voices, as for the attendant expert, well that is a matter of personal taste.
    Previously Jamie Reed and Emma were awful, early attempts by our guys were hit and miss, but now I would say our commentary is definitely one of the better ones, trust me some are still rubbish at other clubs.
  • Options

Not sure who was working but the chap painted a very good verbal picture of the game.
    I could feel by his tone that after Jacko’s goal the pressure was mounting for our equaliser.
    Great improvement from a couple of seasons ago when the match appeared to be of secondary importance to Emma’s comments about the weather, the state of the pitch, the contents of her handbag etc. etc.
    The time delay is not an issue to me when listening only to the commentary but would be good if it could be sorted.

Thanks John that's very kind.

Here's the two goals again if you want to relive them -

https://audioboom.com/boos/3651834-goooallllll-listen-again-to-cafc-s-two-strikes-against-fulham
  • Options
    I have no issue with the quality of the commentary btw. It's just if I am paying for something, I want it to work, not just be better than it used to be.
  • Options
    LouisMend said:

Thanks John that's very kind.

Here's the two goals again if you want to relive them -

https://audioboom.com/boos/3651834-goooallllll-listen-again-to-cafc-s-two-strikes-against-fulham
    Well done and thanks for the link Louis.
    I have listened again and the build up to the second is excellent.
    I sometimes listen to Norwich City broadcasts on BBC radio Norfolk and consider Chris Goreham’s commentary one of the best for relaying atmosphere and tempo of a football match.
    Your commentary certainly matched his.
  • Options
    Hi All

Just to let you know StreamUK who run FLi PlayerHD websites are currently rolling out a cloud based content delivery network which should see a noticeable decrease in commentary delays.

If any fans do have problems the customer service email is player.support@streamamg.com
  • Options
    Hope that the phones are working this week?
    Come back ISDN line all is forgiven eh!........
    Feel that one of the great strengths was the phone in section of the original show, after all we all have an opinion, wether it be right or wrong.
    There used to be some lively shows. Tend to find that the presenters seem to be speaking from the same script, when you had 'choice', Terry, John, Peter, there were a range of views, comments and opinions.You could even have a feature on the supporters websites, with one of the Admin people down there as a guest maybe?
    Well you did ask...........
  • Options

Hi All

Just to let you know StreamUK who run FLi PlayerHD websites are currently rolling out a cloud based content delivery network which should see a noticeable decrease in commentary delays.

If any fans do have problems the customer service email is player.support@streamamg.com

This is very good news, real time commentary, being 'in the moment' is a big plus for me.
  • Options

Hope that the phones are working this week?
    Come back ISDN line all is forgiven eh!........
    Feel that one of the great strengths was the phone in section of the original show, after all we all have an opinion, wether it be right or wrong.
    There used to be some lively shows. Tend to find that the presenters seem to be speaking from the same script, when you had 'choice', Terry, John, Peter, there were a range of views, comments and opinions.You could even have a feature on the supporters websites, with one of the Admin people down there as a guest maybe?
    Well you did ask...........

Thread is going off on two tangents here, one about commentary on CAFCPlayer, which is the club's responsibility and one on the Charlton live show which the Charlton Live team is responsible for. Just to make sure people understand there's a difference there!

But I wholeheartedly agree with you, I'm always trying to urge people to phone in precisely for the reason that just hearing us speak will be one dimensional mainly. We have disagreements amongst ourselves at times (Discussion about Pope on last week's show perhaps an example) but hearing other voices from outside the studio is exactly what I want - it's a fan show about Charlton, not just a Louis Mendez or Terry Smith thoughts on Charlton show. We do get plenty of emails and tweets which are great and I'm very grateful for them because they do provide other views but phone calls is what I'd really love as a further form of correspondence.

Finchy has very kindly offered to pop into the studio today to see if he can fix the phone and a couple of Mics playing up in the studio (unfortunately I'm not a radio technician and wouldn't know how to. Our main tech guy from the last few years hasn't been able to commit this year). If it gets fixed then that will be great. Had separate problems with streaming live last Sunday which I will be speaking to a guy who helped us from Maritime Radio about next week.
  • Options
    Excuse my ignorance, but who is Mark Newbury?
  • Options
    He’s a member of the Charlton Live team, just a fan like the rest of us