Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

World Cup failures

Football World Cup, cricket World Cup and now rugby World Cup.
What the hell is going on! We are getting worse!
We are a country of sports fanatics, top fans and each sport is awash with money compared to others. Why then do we look so much behind.
Is it our mentality? coaching? Or is it about hunger?
I'm at a loss why we seem to be going backwards at these most important times.
Rant over

Comments

• edited October 2015
    Yep shaping up to be a pucker sporting weekend for us Addicks!

Fulham at home next on the Tele... hide the sharp implements!
  • The ladies did well in Canada though.
  • Football World Cup, cricket World Cup and now rugby World Cup.
    What the hell is going on! We are getting worse!
    We are a country of sports fanatics, top fans and each sport is awash with money compared to others. Why then do we look so much behind.
    Is it our mentality? coaching? Or is it about hunger?
    I'm at a loss why we seem to be going backwards at these most important times.
    Rant over

you ask a lot of very good ?????s .. I am too knackered to detail my opinion right now .. BUT .. I'll be back (I must stop this silly arnie talk)
  • I really think it comes down to nous.

The decision making was poor in all 3 sports.

we were out thought on the pitch.

We have some very talented young cricketers, footballers and Rugby players,
    but were found wanting in the heat of battle.
  • I've not thought at any point that England were going to win this World Cup. There is the making of a good side there, but this tournament has come too early for this group of players. Whether they can go on and meet their potential, don't know.

Tonight we were beaten by a better, more clinical and quicker team. Against Wales we beat ourselves through some very poor decision making.

As a tournament though, whoever did the seedings for the draw got it badly wrong. To have the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 8th teams in the world in one group has meant that the later stages will inevitably be weaker that it should be. And having the hosts in that group has, in this case, meant that England has gone out sooner than they should and left the whole competition weaker in terms of public interest. This is not looking for excuses, England didn't do well enough in the group they were in, but it will reduce the interest in the whole thing which I'm sure wasn't the plan by the organisers.
  • I'm a teacher.
    Just waiting for them to blame it on me :confounded:

I blame the Teachers.
  • I'm a teacher.

I blame the Teachers.
    Not all of them. Addicted2U definitely to blame though!
  • Its not all bad news - last night, at the same time that England were going out of the WC, Tai Woffinden won The Speedway Grand Prix Series for 2015 for England.

Lets not talk about the fact that he was brought up in Oz since 4 years old and has a broad Oz accent.
  • That is our way forward.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm a teacher.

Blame the police
  • At least we're consistent!
  • Not enough arguing with refs
  • edited October 2015
    England B got to the final of the recent World Cup of Pool in Bethnal Green! Does that count?

PS: they lost in the final to Chinese Taipei! It was a late match though so I reckon they must have been 'on it' all day!!
  • Its not all bad news - last night, at the same time that England were going out of the WC, Tai Woffinden won The Speedway Grand Prix Series for 2015 for England.

Lets not talk about the fact that he was brought up in Oz since 4 years old and has a broad Oz accent.

Or that 7 people actually give a s*** about it. :wink:

Yeah, prob true.
    However, 70,000 people were at the British GP this year at Millenium Stadium- so, not too shabby- just proves that we British public are real Sports fans/supporters - therein maybe that lies the problem.

Yeah, prob true.
    However, 70,000 people were at the British GP this year at Millenium Stadium- so, not too shabby- just proves that we British public are real Sports fans/supporters - therein maybe that lies the problem.
    And next week 75k will turn up for the Super league grand final. Meanwhile their biggest supported team will still get lower average home gates than Charlton over the course of a season... :wink:

That said, I take your point. If awards were given for support, no one could hold a candle to England.
  • edited October 2015

Its not all bad news - last night, at the same time that England were going out of the WC, Tai Woffinden won The Speedway Grand Prix Series for 2015 for England.

Just proves that we British public are real Sports fans/supporters - therein maybe that lies the problem.
    Think this is the problem... We seem to do well at Sports (On the International Stage) where there isnt the coverage and punditry, the fans accept that the Sportsmen have a job to do and get on with just supporting them which ensures the person representing the Country can just get on and do the business.

Football / Cricket / Rugby has been ruined here now because of punditry... Its the cowards way out of going into Management / Coaching and every fan has an opinion on what should be done and why X player is rubbish this week, because its how the pundit does it (who is allowed to change their mind every week because it wont impact on the pitch), means that there is more pressure on the Sportsman because they know one mistake will be analysed for weeks.

Perfect pundit example... Jamie Redknapp hadnt even heard of Anthony Martial a few weeks ago, now he thinks he's going to be the next Leo Messi...

How can you make that assumption within a few games and the worst thing is, people sit there watching him and nod their heads expecting Martial to become the next best thing since sliced bread, yet because that pressure has got to Martial he ultimately fails, because he fails it makes Redknapp / the nodding fans look stupid so they instantly bring him back down to size which ruins his confidence.

How about from day one, we just let the players get on with playing the game and see what happens then!!

Why do people think that League One football downwards is so natural in terms of proper Football... Its because the top two divisions get analysed to death
  • Another thing I hate about major tournaments these days is how your forced to get tickets for matches before you know which team your going to see.

Be great if tickets were only made available after a draw has been made... 40% of tickets get made available to each country playing in said match, 10% to neutrals, 10% to corporate pricks, means that the atmosphere at these competitions should be even greater than they are now, trouble is going to be when you get to the knockout stages, yet how about your World Cup ticket is an Oyster Card / Charlton Season Ticket type of card.

Once your country has made the Semi-Finals etc... you can then use your Card to apply for the said match and you'll get a notification within 24-hours to say if your successful or not (With the same allocation figures).

Of course the only downside is that if it was New Zealand qualifying for the World Cup Final here in England, someone may have to move quickly to get flights / hotels which is why they should either be already here in England for the tournament and have been to a few matches already OR... Having their World Cup Card gives them entitlement to cheaper flights and hotels (As these companies jumping on the bandwagon for a tournament and raising prices is a joke)

And that he has the stupidest fucking name ever outside of an episode of Game Of Thrones
  • Sponsored links:

• we don't have a winning mentality. so I think it has to come from the coaching and lack of leaders on and off the field.
  • may I add that I'm referring to our major sports, football, cricket and rugby. we do seem to do ok in some minority sports.

Yeah, prob true.
    Speedway is one of those sports that is totally ignored by mainstream media, yet has a large fanbase and attracts big crowds. I keep meaning to go and watch a,.at h but never get round to it.
    I do wonder what speedway fans make of the exposure of woman's football.
    I do wonder what women's football has to do with speedway ?

Yeah, prob true.
    Speedway is one of those sports that is totally ignored by mainstream media, yet has a large fanbase and attracts big crowds. I keep meaning to go and watch a,.at h but never get round to it.
    I have never met anyone interested in speedway.
  • iainment said:

Its not all bad news - last night, at the same time that England were going out of the WC, Tai Woffinden won The Speedway Grand Prix Series for 2015 for England.

Yeah, prob true.
    I have never met anyone interested in speedway.
    Graham Stuart is the only one who springs to mind, though it used to be good fun to watch at the old Crayford Stadium
  • What is speedway?
  • edited October 2015

Yeah, prob true.
    Women's football ?

The sport where we got to the semi finals of WC after showing bottle and team spirit.

Wrong target.