Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Another Shooting In America?

Comments

• Fear the Jihadi furniture...

• Fear the Jihadi furniture...

Be interesting to see how many of the 'Americans with guns' were police I think...
  • Or how many were suicides... An interesting if upsetting stat in itself

Fear the Jihadi furniture...

Explains the mysterious left-field appearance of the sofa pitchside at The Valley. A cull of the undesirable type of fan at CAFC.

This board truly is evil in its cunning.
  • edited December 2015
    thenewbie said:

Fear the Jihadi furniture...

Be interesting to see how many of the 'Americans with guns' were police I think...
    1055 this year according to the Guardian, who are logging the names of everyone killed by police in the US:

Not sure how that compares to 2014 though.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2015/jun/01/the-counted-police-killings-us-database
  • McBobbin said:

Or how many were suicides... An interesting if upsetting stat in itself

21,175 in 2013 apparently. Just over half the total.
  • IAIA
    edited December 2015
    McBobbin said:

McBobbin said:

Or how many were suicides... An interesting if upsetting stat in itself

21,175 in 2013 apparently. Just over half the total.
    That's about 70% of the total. Are suicides definitely included in "Americans killed by Americans with guns" statistics?

Edit - looked at 2010 stats and it looks like about two thirds of gun deaths in the US are suicides for that year, so the answer is probably yes.

Second edit - correction, what I actually saw was that murders were one third of gun deaths in the US for that year, and then assumed that the rest were mostly suicides.
  • also worth noting the murder rate in the US... its 3.8 per 100,000, and about 1 in the UK. that tanks them 121 out of 218. Whilst not massive, for a developed, rich country it's pretty high. Is the availability of guns a factor? Has to be
  • edited December 2015
    Tyson Fury was starting to worry he'd gone too far but then Donald Trump opened his mouth and made him seem reasonable.
  • I saw this last week. (Sorry if you've already seen it.) She even let little kids hold guns. Quite shocking.
    Nevada politician wishes you a Merry Christmas -- with guns
    http://edition.cnn.com/2015/12/05/us/michele-fiore-gun-holiday-card-feat/index.html
  • Sponsored links:

• I saw this last week. (Sorry if you've already seen it.) She even let little kids hold guns. Quite shocking.
    Nevada politician wishes you a Merry Christmas -- with guns
    http://edition.cnn.com/2015/12/05/us/michele-fiore-gun-holiday-card-feat/index.html

Thanks for posting that is truly shocking. A quick google reveals the charming woman also said this.

I am not OK with Syrian refugees,” Republican Assemblywoman Michele Fiore said late last month on her weekly Las Vegas radio show. “I’m not OK with terrorists. I’m OK with putting them down, blacking them out, just put a piece of brass in their ocular cavity and end their miserable life. I’m good with that.”

I watched Tucker Carlson and two co presenters lay into Obama's policies on Sunday morning's 'Fox and Friends'. They were like rabid animals - very much in the Trump / Fiore vein of politics. If I was in charge of ISIL recruitment I'd write to all these people thanking them for their cooperation.
  • That remark is disgusting... Sometimes I wonder how this kind of representatives got elected in the first place. And it seems to me that there're quite many of them in the US.

The only time I've watched (a few minutes of) Fox and Friends is when the White House press secretary Josh Earnest clashed with the show's co-host Elisabeth Hasselbeck last month: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/11/josh-earnest-elisabeth-hasselbeck-paris-216010
    Much as I agree that the Obama administration has been incompetent in dealing with the ISIS situation, I don't think the co-host did the interview in the right way. She left the show a few days later. Speaking of Fox, I often watch the White House press briefing (partly to improve my English listening ability, I'm Chinese) and I'm still yet to find a Fox correspondent that I actually like.

US politics is really a funny thing. I think it's complicated, interesting and sometimes ridiculous. People like Trump, Sarah Palin, and this Fiore probably would not have a single chance in politics in any other country.
  • All LA schools closed today after 'credible backpack threat'.
    900 schools shut.
    Extraordinary.
  • Headline today in the Contra Costa Times.

Firearms in California.
    Gun sales soar to record.

Black Friday, San Bernardino shootings spur a major uptick in federal background checks.
  • Suicides are the often unspoken of "side effect" of gun ownership. I've seen studies that show the rate at which owning a gun can make otherwise treatable symptoms of (usually) depression escalate.

That said, no numbers of statistics will change this. Police shootings and gun violence aren't new. When I was young, growing up in LA, you had the same problems with the LA police and South Central gangs. Once again, the south side of Chicago has reclaimed it's title as the most racist city with the worst police brutality.

Short of a radical overhaul of our political, economic, social welfare, and education programs, the cycle of poverty and violence will only continue, unfortunately.

As far as LAUSD schools closing, I am an alumnus of the school district. Those schools are actually much safer than they used to be, and what's unfortunate is given the socio-economic conditions of many of the students, I know plenty who felt safer at school than at home. Fair play to choosing to shut the schools down, time may or may not tell if the threat was credible, but it took temerity to make that call, and better safe than sorry.

As for the comment about Obama not handling ISIS/Daesh well, what should he be doing? It seems that no one is happy with how this situation is being handled, but you're caught between a group of genocidal fuckheads and a genocidal fuckhead dictator with a handful of "Free Syrian Rebels" (who until a couple years ago fought alongside Isis and have committed their own share of atrocities). The UK has decided to drop bombs, great...then what. Even if you defeat a gorilla-style organization in a hostile middle eastern country (of which our record is not good), what do you do once you've defeated them?

I want to say it was March when the US Congress was debating bombing Al-Assad...
  • edited December 2015
    SDAddick said:

Suicides are the often unspoken of "side effect" of gun ownership. I've seen studies that show the rate at which owning a gun can make otherwise treatable symptoms of (usually) depression escalate.

That said, no numbers of statistics will change this. Police shootings and gun violence aren't new. When I was young, growing up in LA, you had the same problems with the LA police and South Central gangs. Once again, the south side of Chicago has reclaimed it's title as the most racist city with the worst police brutality.

Short of a radical overhaul of our political, economic, social welfare, and education programs, the cycle of poverty and violence will only continue, unfortunately.

As far as LAUSD schools closing, I am an alumnus of the school district. Those schools are actually much safer than they used to be, and what's unfortunate is given the socio-economic conditions of many of the students, I know plenty who felt safer at school than at home. Fair play to choosing to shut the schools down, time may or may not tell if the threat was credible, but it took temerity to make that call, and better safe than sorry.

As for the comment about Obama not handling ISIS/Daesh well, what should he be doing? It seems that no one is happy with how this situation is being handled, but you're caught between a group of genocidal fuckheads and a genocidal fuckhead dictator with a handful of "Free Syrian Rebels" (who until a couple years ago fought alongside Isis and have committed their own share of atrocities). The UK has decided to drop bombs, great...then what. Even if you defeat a gorilla-style organization in a hostile middle eastern country (of which our record is not good), what do you do once you've defeated them?

I want to say it was March when the US Congress was debating bombing Al-Assad...

Really? Amazing
  • Just been watching Trump talking about how gun ownership makes the US safer and how the recent Paris massacre wouldn't have happened if everyone there had guns. How far will he take the argument - presumably arming toddlers and pets.
    Americans seem obsessed with terrorist attacks - perhaps it would make more sense concentrating on the dangers of gun ownership. Must be lovely getting a gun for Christmas.
  • They dont seem obsessed here Imo, the park security is no different to back home at Alton towers, the people are very much in the fuck daesh they can think I am scared yet I know I am not and I won't change my life for them, I feel safer here than when working in London

• It's the opposite of what people see from watching the politicians. Most people in the major population areas just go on with their life. Nobody in NY, Washington, LA, Boston, etc. is doing anything different today than they did before.

People living in Buttfuck, Idaho are terrified. They are the target, and they need their guns to protect them from the invaders.

There are whole areas of this country that have zero perspective when it comes to the real world.
  • Sponsored links:

• That'll teach her to make him eat his greens
  • Take heed Alanis Morrisette - that's irony.
  • edited March 2016
    Reminds me of the guy out there who was a campaigner to repeal he law that made bikers wear helmets. Was killed in an accident whilst riding his bike without a helmet but would have survived if he was.
  • It's tragic, foreseeable and avoidable
  • Yeah, she's not dead, and is in a stable condition in hospital. What sort of moron leaves a loaded gun in reach of a 4 year old?
  • aliwibble said:

Yeah, she's not dead, and is in a stable condition in hospital. What sort of moron leaves a loaded gun in reach of a 4 year old?
    Where did it happen again........
  • Not a problem for Americans to put very dangerous things within the reach of children or politicians it seems.
  • aliwibble said:

Yeah, she's not dead, and is in a stable condition in hospital. What sort of moron leaves a loaded gun in reach of a 4 year old?
    Particularly given that she's has a gun retaliated Facebook page. "Yeah we'll all sit up and listen to somebody who get popped by a 4 year old"
  • edited March 2016
    Search on for suspects in Pa. shooting that left 5 dead.
    Police were searching early Thursday for at least two gunmen who opened fire during a backyard party in suburban Pittsburgh, killing five people and wounding three others.

Four women and a man were killed late Wednesday during the party in Wilkinsburg. Allegheny County police said people scrambled toward the house as bullets began flying. Four of the victims were found dead on the back porch. The other died at a hospital.

Two men were in critical condition and a woman was stable, police said.

Lt. Andrew Schurman of the Allegheny County homicide unit said the gunmen barged into the party just before 11 p.m. and opened fire in an ambush-style attack. He said gunshots came from two distinct locations, but police don't believe anyone at the party fired back.

"It looks like right now they were all fleeing toward the backdoor of the residence when the second gunman fired from the side of the yard," he said. "They all seemed to get caught on the back porch."

The suspects fled on foot.

Wilkinsburg is a poorer, largely blighted suburb just east of Pittsburgh that is known for drug trafficking and gun violence. But, neighbors described the street on which the shooting occurred as generally quiet and expressed shock.

Resident Kayla Alexander told WPXI-TV that she heard a barrage of gunshots — more than 20.

After the shooting, groups of residents gathered on the street, some of them sobbing and saying they lost family members.

James Boyd, 70, has lived in a home three doors away from the shooting for 24 years. He told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that the gunfire "went on for almost a minute."

"I thought it was maybe the pipes bursting. But then we realized it was gunshots. We've had trouble in this neighborhood before but never this close to home," Boyd said. "I've never seen anything like this before."