Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fanny needs your help ( Nothing to do with bush clipping)

Just in case you noticed my absence over the past 10 days.....

I'M BACK !!!

Broadband, landline and a degree of mobile coverage has now been restored to Fanackapan Towers Mark 2, here in Wadhurst after a testing time out of the loop. However, with our annual Tenareef trip looming on Friday, there is much to catch up with and time is of the essence.

As you know, my Mum passed away recently, and the post mortem has only just been completed so we were unable to make the necessary arrangements for her funeral until yesterday.

We have a slot at Eltham Crematorium on Weds 21st October but as we have moved out of the area now, we need somewhere to adjourn to with friends & family afterwards for a drink and a bite to eat. As Mum was the last of her generation in the family, and I am the youngest of the next, we need to ensure the venue is fairly close to Avery Hill for the elderly relatives' convenience.

If anyone has used a local pub or other relevant premises for such a purpose and would happily recommend such, I'd be grateful if you would either message me or post on this thread as soon as possible. Your help would be much appreciated.

xx

Comments

• Options
    The Fenman is just up the road and is supposed to be good. We tried to book it for my Dad's but was booked up and ended up using The Anchor at Shooters Hill who were very good.
  • Options
    The Jolly Fenman in blackfen pub looked after us very well at my uncle's funeral last year. big pub with big car park fairly near the crematorium
  • Options
    The Old Black Horse in Halfway Street also have an upstairs function room available.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Jean, The Jolly Fenman without a doubt.

I've used it twice for my father & father-in-laws funerals. I would recommend 100%.

It's a 5 minute drive.

They sectioned off an area of the pub for us & we had use of the very pleasant garden. Obviously, they likely have these "functions" at least weekly, if not daily.

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/29/2917/Jolly_Fenman/Blackfen
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Was going to suggest the Fenman too Fanny. Glad you have settled into Fanackapan Towers 2 okay.
    I wave every night from the train but no response, yet ;-))
  • Options

Was going to suggest the Fenman too Fanny. Glad you have settled into Fanackapan Towers 2 okay.
    I wave every night from the train but no response, yet ;-))

careful, she'll be waving her red unmentionables to warn you a tree has slid on to the track soon.
  • Options
    SOOOOO sorry for your loss Jean. I haven't been on here much lately because of my work so I didn't see your post about your Mum..... May she rest in peace. And sincerely hope everything goes well with the funeral.
  • Options
    Hi Jean, I too was unaware of your loss, and I would like to add my condolences.

Looks like you have a some good recco already but just to say the Long Pond crossed my mind. But maybe not for this occasion.
  • Options
    Jean

have you thought about the Beaverwood Club, owned by John Humphries who has connections with Charlton
  • Options
    Hi Fanny,sorry for your loss,you could try the STC club in New Eltham,the boss is called Corrina and is a very nice lady.Hope this helps...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The last few I've been to at Eltham have gone onto the Bexley Holiday Inn afterwards, it's a fairly short car ride away and they did a decent job. But, I'd agree the Fenman is a lot closer and looks to be highly recommended.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear of your loss Jean.

It maybe too far away from what you have said about elderly relatives but we went to the Bull's Head in Chislehurst following my father's funeral at Eltham 6 years ago. They have a private function room and it served us as well as can be expected given the sad circumstances of the occasion.
  • Options
    I'd add another for the Fenman, very close by with good parking.
  • Options
    No recommendation from me either, but very sorry to hear about the loss of your mum, Jean @Fanny Fanackapan.

More positively, many congrats on your "Escape to the Country", which I am sure will be a fantastic move.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear Jean. Been Fenman before, ideal as so close
  • Options
    Condolences, Fanny. I hope that all goes well.
  • Options
    Sidcup Golf Club laid on a cracking spread for a Charlton supporting mate of mine, who passed away in the summer.

• Options
    Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

I'm awaiting menus from The Jolly Fenmen & and have another phone number to call later.

I'm sure that one or the other will prove fine for our purpose.

Well done, Lifers (again!)
  • Options
    Jean, sorry to hear the news.

We used the Falconwood club, off Welling Way for my Mum's wake. Food was excellent and it didn't cost an awful lot. There were about 70 people at mums and we had tons of food left.
  • Options
    I'd suggest the Fenman as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Has anyone mentioned the fenman yet?
  • Options
    Condolences fanny to you & your family
  • Options
    Sorry to hear your sad news Jean and condolences to you and your family.And again like most above the Fenman is a good place and near by too
  • Options
    Hi, so sorry to hear your news.

Tudor Barn in Well Hall pleasence is a lovely location and very helpful.

I hope it all goes well.
  • Options

Has anyone mentioned the fenman yet?

Good call.
  • Options
    BDL said:

Jean, sorry to hear the news.

We used the Falconwood club, off Welling Way for my Mum's wake. Food was excellent and it didn't cost an awful lot. There were about 70 people at mums and we had tons of food left.

Thanks, Dave.

Will bear that in mind.

• Options
    Belvedere Sports Club in Woolwich Road is dam good value and a place that is good for a chat and a drink.
  • Options
    01322436724 and mention Gammysnr and I might get a few free pints!
  • Options
    Thanks again, guys.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear your news FF. The Fenman would also be my recommendation. Been in there a few times with my brother and little niece (who they looked after brilliantly when she was ill). Both times there were wakes in a reserved area and I think they are kind of known for it.