Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rail works and Charlton

So once again this weekend the rail service is bugged up on one of our home games. I don't believe we have had a weekend game yet that hasn't been impacted but some form of work down the Woolwich line.

Does the club have any involvement with Network Rail on the scheduling of railworks? Surely there is a big impact on a public sporting area that needs to be taken into consideration?

We have never been hit in the past as freqently as we have this season. Has there been liaison in the past that just no longer occurs, or do the rail companies simply do what they like with no consideration for what public / sporting events might be impacted?

Comments

• edited September 2015
    Are there works going on when we are not playing at home on a Saturday ?
  • Network Rail have been instructed to make it easier and quicker to get to the Olympic Stadium...
  • Network Rail have been instructed to make it easier and quicker to get to the Olympic Stadium...

and Bournemouth
  • LenGlover said:

Network Rail have been instructed to make it easier and quicker to get to the Olympic Stadium...

and Bournemouth
    Why have Bournemouth been instructed to make it easier and quicker to get to the Olympic Stadium?
  • Probably because of work on Crossrail
  • It's a joke isn't it.

There are large sporting events all across London on Sunday (NFL at Wembley, egg chasing at the Olympic Stadium and a meaningless football match at the Emirates Library) and still they persist with engineering works that could be done on quieter weekends. Terrible planning.
  • Our next weekend home game ( Sat 24/10), i think there is engineering works between Plumstead and Slade Green, and replacement bus in place.

Don't think it will be to 7/11 where we have a weekend home game not impacted.
  • I fully expect this to be our lowest attended game for many years.
    Rail disruption, it's on the TV and add to that our form.
  • I think there's work going on every weekend or so at Abbey Wood where the area is being rebuilt for Crossrail
  • edited September 2015

I fully expect this to be our lowest attended game for many years.

Not likely to beat Doncaster rearranged two years ago (8,461), not least because I'd expect Fulham to bring four figures. I don't think it will be as bad as some assume.
  • Sponsored links:

Not likely to beat Doncaster rearranged two years ago (8,461), not least because I'd expect Fulham to bring four figures.
    Surely that will be the lowest away support ever!
  • Seriously don't get what all the fuss is about. It normally takes about 20 minutes to get from Dartford to Charlton, on Sunday (according to the National Rail website) it'll take a mere 3 and a half times as long (1 hour 11 minutes), so 2 hours 22 minutes there and back instead of 40 minutes. Basically, it's a great opportunity for those who don't travel by rail during the week to get that full "London Commuter Experience" at the weekend, all at no extra cost.

do the rail companies simply do what they like with no consideration?

Dear Customer

Yes we do, give us yer money and f*%k off.

Yours sincerely

Mr A C#$t
    Public Relations Manager
    on behalf of South Eastern Trains and Network Rail
  • Our next weekend home game ( Sat 24/10), i think there is engineering works between Plumstead and Slade Green, and replacement bus in place.

Don't think it will be to 7/11 where we have a weekend home game not impacted.

Well they can't have engineering works when the Massive come to town can they? Maybe they do plan properly after all! :wink:

Not likely to beat Doncaster rearranged two years ago (8,461), not least because I'd expect Fulham to bring four figures. I don't think it will be as bad as some assume.
    Fulham are providing £5 transport to the game (children free)

Fulham are providing £5 transport to the game (children free)
    Good for them - all ticket money for Charlton too, unless there's a deal been done behind the scenes.

IIRC there was train disruption that night as there was a fire at London Bridge. I ended up getting the tube to North Greenwich then walking because the buses were rammed. Planning to do the same route on Sunday (though hoping for a bus as it's a lot longer walk than you think..), and also hoping for the same result

I made it to that one, and I live 1500 miles away...

This weekend is a great excuse for people to blame the TV for their lack of forward planning.

(PS - Actually, I totally agree with AFKA, there is no consideration for the effect on football at The Valley).