Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

BBC 3 and 4

Comments

• Anyone watched Beck (Swedish crime drama) on BBC 4 yet? The missus is a big fan of the radio adaptations so will probably give them a go but wondered if anyone else had yet and what they thought?

Rather disappointing to my eyes (I only watched the first episode), compared to (e.g.) Montalbano and Spiral ..
    Has it (maybe a previous series) been on before? I do vaguely remember another Swedish series I tried, but was a bit meh.

• BBC 1 = strictly apprentice soap den (which are actually all scripted soaps anyway), The Go Between, Lady Chatterly's Lover, Cider With Rosie, Poldark, Ripper Street, Doctor Who, Pointless, Have I Got News For You, Would I Lie to You, New Tricks, Waterloo Road, Dr Foster, Happy Valley, Last Tango in Halifax...
    BBC 2 = repeats and spin offs from the above plus Only Connect, University Challenge, Mastermind, QI, Later with Jools..., Peaky Blinders, Great British Railway Journeys, numerous documentaries and films...

These and BBC 3 and 4 are the only output worth watching. And I haven't even started to mention the stuff from the past like Attenborough, Only Fools and Horses, Fawlty Towers, I Claudius etc...

Well said Phil mate! :wink:
  • edited September 2015

Anyone watched Beck (Swedish crime drama) on BBC 4 yet? The missus is a big fan of the radio adaptations so will probably give them a go but wondered if anyone else had yet and what they thought?

Missed this. Is it brand new (to BBC4 anyway) ?

Pretty new I think, spotted it on iPlayer the other day but haven't had a chance to watch it yet.
  • Anyone watched Beck (Swedish crime drama) on BBC 4 yet? The missus is a big fan of the radio adaptations so will probably give them a go but wondered if anyone else had yet and what they thought?

Rather disappointing to my eyes (I only watched the first episode), compared to (e.g.) Montalbano and Spiral ..
    Has it (maybe a previous series) been on before? I do vaguely remember another Swedish series I tried, but was a bit meh.

That might have been Wallander?

Deffo not, I'm a Wallander fan. I'll go check Wikipedia

Seems to be new to BBC, but overall been around long time; so not whatever it was I vaguely remember.

Seems to be new to BBC, but overall been around long time; so not whatever it was I vaguely remember.
    pretty sure that the current airing is the first in UK .. Scandinavian series are very varied to my mind .. Wallander (Swedish, not the Branagh version) is by far the best of a very mixed bunch, they retain a freshness and seem timeless ..

pretty sure that the current airing is the first in UK .. Scandinavian series are very varied to my mind .. Wallander (Swedish, not the Branagh version) is by far the best of a very mixed bunch, they retain a freshness and seem timeless ..
    As opposed to be British TV series which are always stone cold classics.
  • Well, I'm 27 and haven't had a working TV aerial in about 2 years. I've not missed it once.

All these channels you can get online, and if not the programmes are available with a little digging.

If he is advocating cutting the channels from broadcasting I wouldn't have a problem. I think you'd be hard pressed to find many under 30's with an internet connection who'd even notice.
  • Sponsored links:

• EastStand said:

Well, I'm 27 and haven't had a working TV aerial in about 2 years. I've not missed it once.

All these channels you can get online, and if not the programmes are available with a little digging.

If he is advocating cutting the channels from broadcasting I wouldn't have a problem. I think you'd be hard pressed to find many under 30's with an internet connection who'd even notice.

You have answered your own point in your post mate. Why would you dig if you haven't missed it? And why do you expect something for nothing?

As opposed to be British TV series which are always stone cold classics.
    Well, almost none of us see the entire output of Scandanavian TV to judge it by. As opposed to the one outlet available in the UK (the BBC), which picks what they consider the "best" and show to the UK public for the price of the license fee. These days I find most UK drama TV series are pretty strong, as they have to be, in order to justify the advertisers/BBC investing in producing them.
  • Much as I like BBC4, many of the documentary programmes are repeated again and again so it's as if they are either struggling to fill airtime or using the repeats as they can't afford to offer any other programming. My guess would be the latter. I've recently acquired access to Sky Arts which seems to offer similar programming.

Personally I'd be happy with an element of advertising or sponsorship to keep the "minority" channels going. They do have a certain amount on BBC World so it's not new to the corporation entirely.
  • Much as I like BBC4, many of the documentary programmes are repeated again and again so it's as if they are either struggling to fill airtime or using the repeats as they can't afford to offer any other programming. My guess would be the latter. I've recently acquired access to Sky Arts which seems to offer similar programming.

Personally I'd be happy with an element of advertising or sponsorship to keep the "minority" channels going. They do have a certain amount on BBC World so it's not new to the corporation entirely.

I wouldn't, although I agree with the reason for the repeats that you suggest.
  • They could offer digital subscriptions to us exiled Brits, for the price of the licence fee. They'd sell a million easily, and with that money have enough to keep these channels alive.

But for some weird reason, one of the Conservative beefs with the BBC is that its worldwide commercial activities are already "too successful"

Who'd have thought it? Tories who are against successful business.
  • bbc three and 4 show the kind of programmes that should be shown on bbc one and two in the first place. But because they're scared of the cash in the attic and antique roadshow crowd we have to put up with that utter rubbish.
  • the government basically want the bbc to become a licence fee payer's HBO. Putting out quality content and leaving the rest to the other channels. However HBO only got to that position through sheer luck from the success of the sopranos, before that they were just a straight to tv movie channel essentially.

Great idea, but almost impossible to do in practice.
  • Great night ahead on B4.
  • Stig said:

Great night ahead on B4.

I assume you're referring to the new series on Indie music!
  • Stig said:

Great night ahead on B4.

I assume you're referring to the new series on Indie music!
    Aha, what's on offer?

• Sponsored links:

• shows that even in this day and age of streaming it helps to have a proper TV channel easily accessible to all. 
  • I've stopped bothering with any catch-up channels as all the reasonable stuff needs to be paid for these days. 
    Can't recall watching BBC3 or BBC4 although I think I have.
    Too busy reading all the entertaining and informative comments on CL.
  • What I want to know is how doesn’t someone remember there was a thread on BBC 3 and BBC 4 from 2015. I can’t remember what was posted yesterday 
  • edited March 2021
    I do wonder sometimes whether the extensive previews of its upcoming shows is preparing the ground for adverts. I would think if the massive leap is made, there could be part funding between programmes but this may be seen as the beginning of the end. Is there enough money to go round? ITV seems to use competitions to part finance itself nowadays. 
  • _MrDick said:
    What I want to know is how doesn’t someone remember there was a thread on BBC 3 and BBC 4 from 2015. I can’t remember what was posted yesterday 
    Side effect of AZ vaccine, maybe.
  • I do wonder sometimes whether the extensive previews of its upcoming shows is preparing the ground for adverts. I would think if the massive leap is made, there could be part funding between programmes but this may be seen as the beginning of the end. Is there enough money to go round? ITV seems to use competitions to part finance itself nowadays. 
    The funding model needs to change as 1) the license fee is a bit shit, 2) charter renewal every 5 years is bad 3) the BBC gets bumped into bad choices at the whim of the government. 

Go for longer 10/15 year model, fund the BBC via endowment, and let the BBC reinvest the money it makes via Worldwide.  
  • Outside of news and sports and about 3 drama series a year, I have given up on all terrestrial tv. Seems to be only aimed at retired people and the dumbed down audience now with cooking, gardening, quiz shows, celebrity cooking/gardening quiz shows and repeats of above.
  • The great thing about quiz shows is you can repeat them in a loop and people will have forgotten them within a few months. Take out the more memorable ones, where a contestant says they are a nudist etc..., as these will be remembered.