Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Freedom for Catalunya?

Election day over here today, which has been turned into an Independence referéndum (given that the parliament in Madrid refused to allow a legal one). We've had lots of pólice trolling about the place lately, which rether suggests more of an armed revolution coming, than a civilised election. The polls suggest it's a close call, but my wife just voted, and on the radio, they are saying the turnout is massive. In Scotland, it was those unwilling to declare who swung the vote to a close No. Here, they seem to think that the new voters who don't usually vote, are so jacked off with corruption, threats of the consequences of a yes vote, and the huge taxes Madrid syphons off and does'nt return, that they are out for big changes.
I'm not an Independence voter myself. I see it as breaking up into smaller and smaller kingdoms, as we drift back through the middle ages to a point where it's all small isolated villages again. It would be nice to see the Spanish ruling party get a nice snack on the knuckles, as they have'nt been slow to dish it out. There has been none of the bribery here to the Catalans to stay Spanish that Cameron and co offered up to the Scots. It should be fun tonight when the votes come in.

Comments

• Thats all well and good, but hows it going to help us get some points or players?
  • I don't know or care about Catalan independence, but what you've said about the Scottish referendum is not true.

Enjoy the vote.
  • Well I'm interested!
    But not sure 55% No vs 45% Yes can be considered a "close No" vote in Scotland.
    Are the pro-independence guys in your neck of the woods using the same intimidation tactics thay were used in Scotland? I'm guessing that may have backfired badly.
  • edited September 2015
    I am very suspicious of any kind of nationalism. It is often a front for some pretty awful and divisive views about ethnicity. In terms of corruption, Catalans have lost more money to the likes of Jordi Puyol, who siphoned off billions from the region, than the central government.

The logistics of independence have not really been addressed by Artur Mas either - being out of the EU, the Euro or new currency, national borders, passports, army?

Will be watching the results closely tonight...
  • Good luck to them. Yorkshire next!
  • I'll be looking out for the result as I am interested.
    I'm still waiting for England to be given it's own vote for independence. Though we'll almost be independent when Sturgeon has the second Scottish vote :)

Do you know that would be one exit from the UK I'd be able to live with.
    :smile:
  • iainment said:

Good luck to them. Yorkshire next!

Do you know that would be one exit from the UK I'd be able to live with.
    :smile:
    You tease ;)
  • edited September 2015
    Barcelona would romp a weak Catalan league, against Español, Girona, Gimnastic Tarragona and a few other mostly semi-pro teams.

Or they could follow the Cardiff/Swansea/Monaco route and play in their neighbouring country's league.
  • Sponsored links:

• Halix said:

Thats all well and good, but hows it going to help us get some points or players?

Well, if Catalunya declares independence, FC Barcelona will no longer be playing in a UEFA nation. So, obviously some of their better players will need to move to a country that does provide access to UEFA competitions, like the Champions League.

England is one of those countries.

And, if you're going to move from one capital (which Barcelona will be), you would probably want to move to another.

But not just to any team in the capital, but one that has some background in acquiring the very best players from Barcelona in the past.

Not necessarily a team in the current Premiership, but one with at least an outside chance of being promoted to the Premiership this season.

So, clearly, we need to make some space at the Sparrows Lane car park for the cars of Messi, Neymar and Suarez.

I'm right, aren't I?
  • Chizz said:

Halix said:

Thats all well and good, but hows it going to help us get some points or players?

Well, if Catalunya declares independence, FC Barcelona will no longer be playing in a UEFA nation. So, obviously some of their better players will need to move to a country that does provide access to UEFA competitions, like the Champions League.

England is one of those countries.

And, if you're going to move from one capital (which Barcelona will be), you would probably want to move to another.

But not just to any team in the capital, but one that has some background in acquiring the very best players from Barcelona in the past.

Not necessarily a team in the current Premiership, but one with at least an outside chance of being promoted to the Premiership this season.

So, clearly, we need to make some space at the Sparrows Lane car park for the cars of Messi, Neymar and Suarez.

I'm right, aren't I?
    Good luck getting them through the Charlton Life height test.
  • My dentist in Westmount Road ain't big enough for those gnashers.

Yorkshire can sail away as far as I'm concerned.
  • redsek said:

Good luck to them. Yorkshire next!

Yorkshire can sail away as far as I'm concerned.
    Wait until after the Olympics then get rid...
  • edited September 2015
    There'll be a hell of a party in Passeig de Gràcia tonight. I've always loved Barcelona and the Catalan's. Hope they get their independence.