Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cardiff v Charlton | Sat 26 Sept | 3pm KICK-OFF | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Cardiff City v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 26 September 2015 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Andrew Madley (Yorkshire)

Introduction

It’s sometimes interesting what you hear coming from the fans during a match or a Chairman when trying to impress… Around 2000 the then Huddersfield Town owner declared that he wanted to see his club out of the Division within five years, the fans were buoyant, here was a club showing ambition in trying to reach the top flight of England for the first time in many years and true to his word… Huddersfield did depart the Championship within that timeframe, sadly they didn’t go in the direction the fans thought and a few years later were spending a year in League Two.

Closer to home, in 2005, the Addicks were recording a memorable 1-0 victory over Liverpool at Anfield, at the time, Charlton were in a fight with their opponents for a place in Europe… the fans were singing: We’re all going on a European Tour… Sadly we know that didn’t materialise but history could have been so different as our opponents this weekend aren’t from England, had a Welsh League been around when Cardiff City were formed, then this fixture wouldn’t exist and if it was, then indeed we may be getting our Passports out for the fixture.

*For the pedantic; I am aware you don’t need a Passport to get into Wales.

The Opposition
Cardiff City ware formed in 1899 (six years before the name Charlton Athletic became a reality), in 1992 the Welsh Premier League was formed so along with the likes of Swansea and Wrexham etc. they had no choice but to join English Football… Winners of the FA Cup in 1927, Cardiff are one of only two teams from outside England to win any major silverware (With Swansea only being the second team by winning the League Cup in 2013).

Last Season: Following on from relegation from the Premier League, there was always a slight cloud over whether Cardiff could bounce straight back to the top flight, with their eccentric Malaysian owners, Ole Solskjaer and then Russell Slade failed to mount a serious promotion challenge and in a season which saw seven clubs pull away from the rest of the field to battle for promotion, Cardiff were forced to settle for mid-table obscurity.

Pre-season: As discussed with other teams mentioned, having a good pre-season can usually mean nothing once actual league proceedings begin… Yet Cardiff still under Slade haven’t had the worst of seasons so far, five wins (including victories over Premier League sides: Watford and AFC Bournemouth) and two draws, meant that Cardiff began the season without a single defeat.

This Season: Their friendly form has pretty much continued into the League this term… despite drawing the first three matches, the Bluebirds went on to win the next three (against Wolves, Forest and Huddersfield), they have since lost their last two matches so hopefully form will continue to repeat itself with a third defeat to continue the pattern, for Charlton fans searching for a bit of hope… We’ve yet to lose at the Cardiff City Stadium since it was opened.

Championship Race to the World Cup
Following a break from the World Cup race against Crystal Palace, it’s time to return and time to pick a random country (associated with Cardiff City) to see how the line-up for Russia 2018 could look, so far it’s all been about Bermuda and Jamaica in the CONCACAF Qualifying but it’s time to jump on the plane to the other side of the world (Now @AFKABartram we all know you don’t need the extra legroom so shift over!!)

You could say I’m cheating this next time out as the current location doesn’t involve a Player for Cardiff instead this week it’s the turn of Asian side: Malaysia, the birth country of the latest owner of the Bluebirds… The AFC Qualifying for those unware, is split into three Rounds (one round robin with two group stages) and involves Asian giants such as South Korea, Japan and Australia alongside minnows such as Guam and Bhutan.

Malaysia entered at the second stage meaning that they missed out playing the minnows as mentioned… Their second group includes Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, East Timor and Palestine yet qualifying hasn’t been great for Malaysia and a first World Cup appearance doesn’t look set to happen, they sit bottom of the table with just the 1-point, have lost 10-0 to the UAE and whilst losing to Saudi Arabia, their match was cancelled due to crowd trouble.

Much needed progress is required within Malaysian Football if they stand any hope of advancing to the 2022 World Cup, let alone the next stage.

The Fans Views
As promised in my pre-preview… I wanted to get the opinion of the fans rather than just entering my own random prediction and team line-up.

Sadly morale isn’t good at CharltonLife Towers and there are few expecting the Addicks to come away from Wales with any kind of result, that may be a good thing as back in February, many didn’t expect the season to turn around against Brentford yet a 3-0 victory kicked the Addicks back into life and mid-table.

The CharltonLife Team
As picked by @LargeAddick, we could see Charlton pack out the Midfield yet having McAleny on the flanks could easily see Charlton revert from a 4-5-1 formation to a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 at ease, well done @LargeAddick, for having your team chosen in the preview, you’ve won… Nothing.

Pope
Solly – Bauer – Sarr – Fox
Gudmundsson – Cousins – Kashi – Ba – McAleny
Watt

Thanks for your input everyone, due to the lateness of adding the actual Preview I wasn’t able to incorporate the Fans View as well as I’d have liked so hopefully be better next week (with even less prizes to be won), hopefully will be adding a new Opposition feature but have to get off my arse to do that so watch this space.

Comments

• I can't feel anything other than a defeat. One or Two nil.
  • 6 of us heading up, 1-0 and get the season back on track now we've had that match.
  • Need Tony Watt to have one of his good days.

Worried about this one.
  • I think we will nick it, everyone will go back to loving Luzon, his team selection against the Surrey Sh!tbags will be vindicated and there will be no need for another trust meeting in Woolwich......for now.
  • Originally thought 2-2 but now I can't see anything other than a defeat. 3-0
  • Comfy 2-0 home win.
  • 4) Charlton Athletic have a sofa at the side of the pitch at The Valley for certain fans to watch the game in close proximity and in comfort, how’s that gone down with other fans and do they lob food at them?
    Totally embarrassing. Good idea about the food though. I’d rather through our pies than eat them !
  • Tough one to call.

They look pretty shite, and I can't see Russell Slade lasting the season. We've got nothing to fear from them.

We look pretty shite, I can't see Luzon lasting the season. They've got nothing to fear from us.

I reckon a turgid 1-1. Luzon will claim that we've stopped the rot but will be proven incorrect following the comprehensive defeat at home to Fulham next weekend.
  • Sponsored links:

• Luzon pick -

Pope
    Solly
    Baeur
    Sarr
    Fox
    Gudmundsson
    Cousins
    Kashi
    Bergdich
    Watt
    Ahearne-Grant

Subs: Mitov, Lennon, Ba, Charles-Cook, Holmes-Dennis, Kennedy, Macaleny
  • Pope

Solly Bauer Saar Fox

JBG Cousins Kashi Ba McAleny

Watt

back to basics to get a point but predict a 3-1 defeat, Saar with the goal from a corner
  • Cardiff started this season with 3 draws on the spin, then 3 wins, then 2 losses. On that basis they should lose tomorrow to make a nice even 3,3,3

• Dansk_Red said:

4) Charlton Athletic have a sofa at the side of the pitch at The Valley for certain fans to watch the game in close proximity and in comfort, how’s that gone down with other fans and do they lob food at them?
    Totally embarrassing. Good idea about the food though. I’d rather through our pies than eat them !
    I definitely wrote throw but he's typing/reading skills left a lot to be desired.
  • 1-1 between two sides losing their way.
  • Paddy Power quoting the same odds for us to win as for Leicester beating Arsenal. sadly I would fancy Leicester's chances better than ours tomorrow - hope I am proved wrong for those going - brave souls if they were at Palace in the week. 2-0 defeat
  • :heart:
    WIN
    1-2
    WIN
    :heart:
  • Chin up,0-1,surprise away win.
  • Has to be a win but expecting a draw, 1-1, Gudmundsson with our goal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Diarra banned for one game. Would have been a complete waste of time trying to appeal it because they would have made it friverlous because the appeals department are corrupt.
  • Cardiff are doing better than I expected so far this season. Recently, we are doing worse...

We do however go level on points with Cardiff if we win so I'm keeping the faith. Saturday is the day when things click back together!
  • edited September 2015
    no great surprise but watt and gudmundsson are travelling up he just put a photo of them playing fifa on the team bus
  • We've conceded 1,2,3 and 4 in our preceding games so Cardiff must be favourites - hopefully they won't hit 5.
  • Pope
    Solly. Bauer. Saar. Fox
    BG. Cousins. Kashi. McA
    Watt. AG

Mitov, Lennon, Ba, Berdich, Kennedy

1-1
  • Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • 1-1. Would settle for that.
  • Pope
    Solly Bauer Sarr Fox
    Jbg Kashi Cousins McAleny
    Mak Watt
  • You're gonna piss me off again, aren't you Charlton...

Slide continues, Luzon searches for excuses, 2-1 blues reds welsh gits.