Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• It took me a long time to "get" him. RIP.
  • A solid right back who played when I first went to games. RIP.

Yep his partnership with the legendary centre half Anthony Blunt was unbeatable.

Different person
  • Didn't realise he was that old - although he does seem to have been around forever.

RIP
  • That voice.
    RIP
  • Who died? Our player or the posh tosser who loved exotic cars?
  • Who died? Our player or the posh tosser who loved exotic cars?

The latter.
  • That Voice !

The plumiest Voice in the whole wide world.

I always wanted him to read the Football scores on Radio 5.

As he came from Bermondsey, and his dad was a docker and his mum was a cleaner he used to sound like Arthur Mullard before they sent him for Elocution lessons.

Would i Lie to you ?

RIP.
  • Sponsored links:

Different person
    I've woken up now. John Sewell, of course, was the Charlton player. Thanks for putting me straight.
  • He is not dead. He has parsed away.
  • This made me sad - not sure why, but this fella was a real character and pretty funny with it........as said above, it took a while to 'get' him, but after that I loved hearing his views on life/art. Despite what many thought, I don't think that he took himself as seriously as some may have presumed.

RIP - they don't make them like this any more!
  • Interesting comment about the north. He says; Bomb it.....it's an awful/ghastly place! Very controversial chap in his views on art but one of those people that is full of character either you liked him or not people were always interested to hear/read what he had to say. Only saw him once in Kensington with his dog. RIP
  • Pompous twat, won't miss his barbs at all.
  • Robert Elms told a story of how he interviewed Brian Sewell with his next guest sitting in the studio. At the end of the interview he put on some music, and Sewell got up to leave and said his goodbyes. The other guest looked up and said "What, he really talks like that? I though he was doing the interview in character!"
  • Sewell had a chequered start in life, he was born a bastard, his father, Peter Warlock, being a notorious composer who was found dead from coal gas poisoning in his London flat seven months before Brian was born. It is likely that he committed suicide, although it has been suggested that a so called friend got him very drunk and turned on the unlit fire in an apparent act of some sort of revenge. Brian first discovered his father's identity in 1986.

Warlock lived in Eynsford for about three years in the 1920's. While there he wrote his own epitaph which pretty well summed him up:-

Here lies Warlock the Composer
    Who lived next door to Munn the Grocer
    He died of drink and copulation
    A sad discredit to the nation
  • Tramp said:

Sewell had a chequered start in life, he was born a bastard, his father, Peter Warlock, being a notorious composer who was found dead from coal gas poisoning in his London flat seven months before Brian was born. It is likely that he committed suicide, although it has been suggested that a so called friend got him very drunk and turned on the unlit fire in an apparent act of some sort of revenge. Brian first discovered his father's identity in 1986.

Warlock lived in Eynsford for about three years in the 1920's. While there he wrote his own epitaph which pretty well summed him up:-

Here lies Warlock the Composer
    Who lived next door to Munn the Grocer
    He died of drink and copulation
    A sad discredit to the nation

Not all bad then.

• Sponsored links: