Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Smertin vs Bikey on racism

Two of our former players having a difference of opinion on racism in Russia...

bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34297056

Comments

• And Frimpong gets a mention too in that article. Charlton here Charlton there Charlton every F......g where
  • Yes, Smertin sounds like a Putin stooge/apologist there, it's clear that there is a significant problem there, which the authorities are pretending doesn't exist.

I do find it bizarre why black players go there in the first place, you know that there is racism in Russian football, it's hardly a secret...
  • edited September 2015

Yes, Smertin sounds like a Putin stooge/apologist there, it's clear that there is a significant problem there, which the authorities are pretending doesn't exist.

I do find it bizarre why black players go there in the first place, you know that there is racism in Russian football, it's hardly a secret...

Too true but I'll give you 320,000 reasons a week why
  • Pathetic and contradictory from Smertin.
  • I'm not surprised. The level of denial in Russia is really mind-boggling, and Putin and his goons have made it much worse in the last 10-15 years. More intelligent and educated people than Smertin come out with the most terrifyingly ignorant shit. It's really sad, because there are so many other things about the Russians I've met that are positive. I have no idea how we combat this kind of stuff from them.
  • Outrageous from Smertin. Any respect I had for him as a player just disappeared. What a ****.
  • Deluded or what. Never that keen when he made some derogatory comments about our club.
    Andre Bikey walking the streets with a gun?
    Now that would command some respect!
  • Racism doesn't exist in Russia? What a stupid thing to say. Of course it exists as it does in many parts of the world. He will be telling us that Homophobia doesn't exist in Russia.
  • Sponsored links:

• The guy's a moron. For anyone who hasn't read the article, I will sum it up in three sentences:

. Racism doesn't exist in Russia
    . Racism is like fashion - it's come to Russia from abroad
    . Fans giving bananas to black players is fun
  • 'It doesn't exist'. 'It's a foreign import'. Err, at best only one of these statements can be true, Alexei. You can't have it both ways. I suspect that the truth is that racism in Russia has always existed but was largely dormant because it was a closed society for many decades. Then when some people arrived who looked and sounded a little different, all those nasty prejudices started coming out in public. Racism wasn't imported it just woke up. To say it is imported is awful, because it is tantamount to blaming the victim. Wake up yourself, Alexei.
  • I thought Smertin was meant to be well read and intelligent - anyone who has spent time in Russia will know that racism is so deeply engrained in much of the population that they hardly know they are being racist - anyone from the Caucuses is routinely referred to as "chorney" (blacks), Obama and blacks are usually referred to as monkeys or similar (a hologram of Obama as a monkey was beamed onto the walls of the Amrcican embassy not so long ago). I perhaps can understand ordinary people who haven't see the world behaving in such a fashion - who is to say the same backward attitudes don't exist in the UK or were not more common 30 -40 years ago - but for someone like Smertin who has travelled and seen the world to deny the existence of the problem is just inexcusable. If Russia under Putin wants to carry on this way they will lose the World Cup.
  • Shows how the UK, for all its flaws, is so far ahead of some if not most other countries in terms of tackling discrimination. Not that you wouldn't hear the same views here but just from fewer and fewer people these days.

When you think Smertin played here with Chelsea and Charlton who both had many black players it does make you wonder .
  • Two of our former players having a difference of opinion on racism in Russia...

Don't believe a word the BBC tell you, Russia no where near as bad for racism as Spain and Italy. Same think with Poland and the euro 2012 panorama which turned out to be edited and fake. Spain for worse off than Russia but our media won't tell you that.
  • Smertin's always been a stooge. He was a joke signing for Chelsea so Abramovich could cosy up to certain parties back home and he's a stooge now spouting nonsense. Money talks for Alexei
  • pettgra said:

Deluded or what. Never that keen when he made some derogatory comments about our club.
    Andre Bikey walking the streets with a gun?
    Now that would command some respect!

What derogatory comments did he make about Charlton?
  • Two of our former players having a difference of opinion on racism in Russia...

Don't believe a word the BBC tell you, Russia no where near as bad for racism as Spain and Italy. Same think with Poland and the euro 2012 panorama which turned out to be edited and fake. Spain for worse off than Russia but our media won't tell you that.
    interesting first post on Charlton Life. You don't by any chance work in St Petersburg?
  • Not his first post. Legia Warsaw/Crvena Zvezda/Croatia Zagreb ffan who enjoys being banned from here
  • DennisEastStand

I lived in Russia for a number of years and you are just plain wrong.
  • Sponsored links:

• Russians are not rascist.....and they positively embrace homosexuality.
  • DRAddick said:

Russians are not rascist.....and they positively embrace homosexuality.

And they're so polite when you meet them on holiday.

• DRAddick said:

Russians are not rascist.....and they positively embrace homosexuality.

And they're so polite when you meet them on holiday.
    Constantly saying thank you for holding a door open to them , always there with a warm hearty smile and a real pleasure to be around at all times
  • sm said:

DennisEastStand

I lived in Russia for a number of years and you are just plain wrong.

Wrong? How? Yeah Russian in general may have problems but Russian 'racism' at football is not as bad or frequent as Spain / Italy. Obviously not defending the racists who are idiots but English media also take things out of proportion like when Zenit fans said they wanted less foreign players because they don't know what it means to play for the club and they are there for personal gain only and then English media took it all out of context. Same thing with Euros when they made fake documentaries on Polish people and polish fans saying black people shouldn't go when that's just an ignorant insult to the majority who aren't. Look at Emineke who played for Spartak Moscow and Fenerbache and he said he much perfects Moscow to Instanbul due to racism from Fener fans. Russian football games may have had racism in small isolated incidents which is obviously stupid but there are countries far worse off and the worst racism I've seen is from English football fans on Twitter
  • Will also bet that article has taken what they both said out of context completely or has made it all up
  • Yeah but come midday I won't be banned
  • Smertin is now a politician. He's talking as a politician. This response is nothing new.
  • Oh look!!!
  • LOL Joined Sep 19, Banned by Sep 21st.