Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cyril Squib Hammond

edited September 2015 in General Charlton
This is a long shot but does anyone know the whereabouts of Cyril Hammond. He lived in Colchester as I do and I was invited round to his house for tea some time ago. We had a great conversation about Charlton in the 1950's and his time at Colchester. We exchanged some Charlton items to take away and look at. However, he appears to have moved away and I want to return his to him. I am not worried about mine as I can replace them, mainly books, but his items, mainly programmes cannot be replaced.

Comments

• Options
    I've only just discovered the Charlton Life forum. I'm Squib's son. He moved to Princes Risborough in Buckinghamshire almost five years ago now. I'm afraid his short term memory is very poor now, not uncommon for an 88 year old I suppose. My Mum died in October so keeping tabs on things is a bit difficult. I've noticed some Charlton books at his home but wasn't sure where they had come from. Perhaps you could let me know what books are yours and I can perhaps return them to you. I expect to be bringing my Dad to visit one or two people in the Colchester area before the summer.
  • Options
    @essexaddick46

Just in case Essex misses this.
  • Options
    Hi Marvin. I watched your dad play when I started supporting Charlton in 1957 and remember him well. Sorry to hear about his short term memory and hope that his general health is still OK. I lived in Bexleyheath in those days and sometimes travelled home on the bus with him and Sid O'lynn after the match. I have always wondered where the nickname? Squib came from. If you see this perhaps you can let me know?
    Best regards.
  • Options
    Welcome Marvin.

I missed your father by a few years but remember his name being mentioned in favourable terms by my father and grandfather.

There cannot be many players who have represented Charlton Athletic at the top tier of English football more times than your father did.

Please tell him that those of us with a respect for the Club's history regard him highly.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Welcome Marvin.

I missed your father by a few years but remember his name being mentioned in favourable terms by my father and grandfather.

There cannot be many players who have represented Charlton Athletic at the top tier of English football more times than your father did.

Please tell him that those of us with a respect for the Club's history regard him highly.

I can only echo what @LenGlover says. My father always spoke highly of Cyril. At that time, some of the Charlton players lodged at my grandmother's house. I seem to recall some tale of Cyril visiting her house.
  • Options
    I remember Cyril playing in the early fifties very good player, never seemed to get injured always very popular with the fans, Marvin tell him he is well remembered.
  • Options
    For those of us who begun supporting in the 50s - Squib will always be talked about fondly - midfield hub - ceaseless running - good on the ball - quietly modest - loyal.
  • Options

For those of us who begun supporting in the 50s - Squib will always be talked about fondly - midfield hub - ceaseless running - good on the ball - quietly modest - loyal.

Dream of players like that now.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Still a few examples around today, e.g. Solly, Jackson, Cousins; but agree, not enough.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Still a few examples around today, e.g. Solly, Jackson, Cousins; but agree, not enough.
    Not sure Jackson falls in to the "ceaseless running" category (:

Be nice to have a team with the commitment of those 3 players though that's for sure.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Hello Marvin, I was so sorry to hear of your fathers short term memory loss. The reason I posted was that I wanted to return his programmes to him as they are obviously vey sentimental I would think. Your father was the cousin of Jack Day who in turn was married to my cousin through whom we were introduced.

Perhaps you can let me know how I return his items to him.