Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mayoral Candidate

So, Sadiq Khan has won the race to be the Labour candidate for Mayor.
This is IMO a great result.
He seems to have the most integrity, and I like his honest background. Son of a bus driver, lived in Tooting all his life, his kids even went to the same school he attended.
Seems to be putting affordable housing as a priority, and leans towards private rented sector as a possible solution.

What does anyone think?

Comments

• Good candidate, I'm glad Jowell didn't win.
  • Goonerhaters Labour alarm is working like clockwork i see.

A bit like a fire alarm :-0
  • Sadiq Khan will be the most powerful Labour party member for the next 7/8 years as the Mayor of London then.
  • edited September 2015
    I'm timing it to see how long it takes for Fiiish to turn up :wink:
  • edited September 2015
    Not that long apparently ;)

A solid choice I think. He's a Liverpool fan just like at least a third of London seems to be.
  • Good choice. Would make a great Mayor of London.
  • Yes, I think Sadiq Khan is a decent bloke.
  • Agreed. He would be great for London.
  • Sponsored links:

• Fiiish said:

Not that long apparently ;)

A solid choice I think. He's a Liverpool fan just like at least a third of London seems to be.

Worse than that, he also supports Surrey at Cricket.

Not a bad candidate. The Mayor of London has to have a certain amount of independence from their party. Ken originally was an independent candidate, Boris has been a bit of a maverick in the Tory party, Sadiq needs to show the same independence of mind.
  • No chance of winning against Zac Goldsmith
  • Zac Goldsmith plays it straight about his dodgy election expenses.

Only kidding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UovcMQXxmoE
  • edited September 2015
    Nice to see Channel 4 and Jon Snow have always been so impartial. At least the comments under the video display a consistently scathing view of Snow's demeanour. Took him 10 minutes to ask one question and it is entirely his own fault (intentionally antagonising a guest who was trying to correct a record), what a tool.

Then again Khan can't exactly play the expenses card.

It's such a small point as well. The Labour council election leaflets I received through the post had the MP candidate's face and name on them and referred to the national election in them as well.
  • edited September 2015
    Good thing the Electoral Commission found Goldsmith and his campaign innocent of any wrongdoing and Channel 4 did not pursue the matter any further than that then (unlike Khan, who has been censured for breaking expenses rules yet mysteriously escaped a journeyman interrogation from Jon Snow).

Hang on, we might need the Argument Alert bingo card, Eton has already been mentioned. Should be judge any of the mayoral candidates on the basis of decisions their parents made before the candidates were old enough to drive?
  • Lives in Tooting - likely Palace supporter then.
  • Vote Sol Campbell
  • Fiiish said:

Good thing the Electoral Commission found Goldsmith and his campaign innocent of any wrongdoing and Channel 4 did not pursue the matter any further than that then (unlike Khan, who has been censured for breaking expenses rules yet mysteriously escaped a journeyman interrogation from Jon Snow).

Hang on, we might need the Argument Alert bingo card, Eton has already been mentioned. Should be judge any of the mayoral candidates on the basis of decisions their parents made before the candidates were old enough to drive?

Well no they didn't did they? They found he under reported an expenditure of £1185, and in the light of the amount, and Goldsmith doing some fancy footwork regarding the 'short' or 'long' election period, they decided not to bring in the police.
    Not exactly innocent of any wrongdoing, we're not dealing with Ghandi here. If Khan broke the rules then he should be censured too, but I don't agree with your apparent premises that Jon Snow and Channel 4 news is deliberately anti Goldsmith and pro Khan.
    Certainly I mentioned Eton, why not? It is another example of how (not) diverse the top of the Conservative party seems to be, to me and to others. You can bet your bottom dollar that if Zac Goldsmith had gone to Deptford Green we would all know about it.
    Goldsmith and Liz Kendall remind me of each other, both nakedly lusting for power.
    Don't you think it is a bit silly of you to mention this matter as one for 'argument bingo' when my points and tone are far removed from being argumentative?

• One of Sadiq's promise on transport, according to Labour List. Can see this becoming a problem as oilfields fall under ISIS control in the coming 5 years - prices are going to shoot up, so how can he keep prices the same for a full term to 2020?

''He said that as Mayor he would reduce the cost of bus fares and aim to change the way ticketing for buses works, so that a single journey ticket is valid for a full hour – even if a passenger changes buses.

Khan explained that the reasoning behind this announcement:

“Londoners have been led up the garden path in recent years when it came to fares – They’ve been promised no rise only to find that their fares have gone up. I want to be crystal clear – no ifs, no buts – what you’ll pay if I’m elected Mayor in May 2016 is what you’ll pay at the end of my 4 years in office.”
  • Sponsored links:

• I really hope his campaign slogan is ''Yes we Khan''
  • Great news for Cabbies, too

“The findings of this Guardian investigation are shocking,” Khan said. “You can’t take short cuts with Londoners safety. I’m putting private-hire companies like Uber on notice; if I’m elected as mayor it will be one strike and you’re out – even if just one of your drivers is found not have gone through the right checks or not to hold legitimate documentation – then your licence to operate in the capital will be suspended instantly.”
  • One of Sadiq's promise on transport, according to Labour List. Can see this becoming a problem as oilfields fall under ISIS control in the coming 5 years - prices are going to shoot up, so how can he keep prices the same for a full term to 2020?

''He said that as Mayor he would reduce the cost of bus fares and aim to change the way ticketing for buses works, so that a single journey ticket is valid for a full hour – even if a passenger changes buses.

“Londoners have been led up the garden path in recent years when it came to fares – They’ve been promised no rise only to find that their fares have gone up. I want to be crystal clear – no ifs, no buts – what you’ll pay if I’m elected Mayor in May 2016 is what you’ll pay at the end of my 4 years in office.”

I like the hourly ticket plan, but the problem with freezing fares, is that you then have less money available to improve services and maintain infrastructure.
  • Hourly tickets is a very good idea that works well here in Amsterdam

In the papers yesterday there was talk of the oil prices going down to 20$ per barrel, reported from Goldman Sachs as the source.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/blog/live/2015/sep/11/european-markets-to-see-biggest-weekly-gain-since-july-business-live

• edited September 2015
    Yes, indeed, they also stated they could still be as low as $50 by 2020, but I'm not convinced.
    Genuinely hope and believe he will win.
  • Did Sadiq Khan go to Eton ? If not he can piss off.