Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Boys v girls education

edited September 2015 in Not Sports Related
Our co-ed kid's school put on a story evening with teachers and older kids reading some stories to the 6-8 year olds. Of the about 70 kids that came, there were about 10 boys and 60 were girls. Why was this? Is there something parents are doing to discourage boys to enjoy books? Are boys just not interested ? Did parents with boys make a call that they wouldn't be into it? The boys that were there enjoyed themselves including my boy. Discuss.

Comments

• Absolutely no idea mate.
  • Boys were too busy playiny playstations no doubt
  • I worry for how schools cater to boys needs. Basically they don't . We risk becoming a second class gender. Can't have babies either.... But at least we'll always be able to piss higher into the wind...
  • Its a shame that reading doesnt appear to be "cool" these days as its something I've loved from a young age... Don't think my parents put pressure on me to read either, its just something I picked up and really enjoyed, remember in Secondary School every couple of English classes we'd have to bring a book to read, and I'd just gone and got War and Peace cos wanted to give it a try so was reading that.

Come parents evening, my English teacher made a complaint about it to my parents because he thought I was taking the piss, of course when he instantly found out that I wasn't he started to encourage me
  • I watched a series a while back on BBC2 I think it was that featured the young choir master, can't think of his name, very skinny with glasses pops up on lots of things. Anyway he did an experiment where he was trying to improve the achievement levels of the lads in a school. Tried all these weird & wonderful ways to get them interested in different subjects. The Roman battle reenactments looked lots of fun. Classes outside, reading sessions in a lil woodland area, public speaking competition situations against the girls.

They mentioned in the program that the lads spent more time playing on x boxes/play stations with their Dads & sometimes the only things they'd see their Dads reading was maybe the paper. He attempted to engage the Dads of the lads to get more involved in having their kids read to them or the Dads reading the bedtime story. Banged on about positive role models & so on.

A theory they mentioned was also that girls brains develop/mature quicker than boys so boys are more easily distracted, prone to cause disturbance in the class & fall behind than girls.

I actively encourage my unfortunately spud supporting not better half to read to our almost 2 year old. He was really uncomfortable & embarrassed at first but now does all the voices & my nipper will bring him endless books. My hopefully young Addick already uses books as a delaying tactic to go to bed though.
  • We've always made it part of the bedtime routine and taken it in turns to read to our daughter. I love reading her books that I enjoyed as a kid, Harry the Dirty Dog being my favourite. It's surprising how many parents don't read to their children (or hear them read) My wife (infant teacher) has come across some whose kids who watch TV in their rooms until they go to sleep. Mind you some also give them ice cream and chocolate for breakfast so shouldn't really be surprised.
  • Studies show that girls go for fiction, but boys tend to go for non fiction at quite a young age. It might be something to do with the material and possibly quite a female orientated teaching force, that would be less inclined to cater for boys interests.
  • I never liked reading when I was at school. Now I love reading but I just never seem to have the time to. For that reason I might not be a good role model for my son (who is eleven). He does like reading and gets through his books at school quickly. I always made him read to me when he came home from school (from when he started at about 5 until when he did his eleven plus at 10) and I would make him read for at least as long as the school said, normally longer.

However, even though he can read (and I mean he can settle into reading a book) they are never as stimulating as playing a video game or watching the tv - or doing both at the same time.

I can see why children (boys especially as there seems to be more games aimed at them) would always chose a video game over a book. My son does read when I tell him he has to, just like he will brush his teeth when told to, but if given the choice he would do neither.

Between the ages 6-8 my son would have been much more interested in playing with his toys. He wasn't ever very interested in being read stories by me or his mum (we were together then) and would have chosen to go straight to sleep rather than be read to, even if he wasn't allowed to play for longer as an alternative.

I just think that boys are much less attracted to the the written word and/or being read to than girls.
  • Although I have no problem with sexual equality, boys and girls are different. I don't know if that is because they are just different or if it is because we treat them differently when they are young. I buy my friend's daughters Barbie's and cuddly toys for Christmas and birthdays where as I would buy the boys Star Wars toys or video games.

Maybe we condition them by our actions, but it is easy to fall into the trap of conforming to the norm, if for no other reason as to not stand out.